Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Multi millionaire Judi Dench on some radio advert pretending to be suffering with the rest of population's cost of living crisis and wanting to help us save money.

And Tesco's latest advert saying they want us to 'spend less' with them. And Llloyds bank' on your side' etc, etc.

Forget the BS empathy. It's patronising.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Multi millionaire Judi Dench on some radio advert pretending to be suffering with the rest of population's cost of living crisis and wanting to help us save money.

And Tesco's latest advert saying they want us to 'spend less' with them. And Llloyds bank' on your side' etc, etc.

Yep, it's mostly performative.

That being said, let's leave room for genuine empathy (particularly at a time like this).

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

All dwarfed into insignficance by the toe curling Nationwide "poetry".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

The Lloyd's one really pisses me off. They aren't on your side at all, their a bank who'd rip you off for your last penny if they thought they could get away with it. 

18 hours ago, Izzy said:

Gambling and alcohol companies encouraging us to gamble and drink responsibly.

55 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I live in a semi-detached house.

Neighbour's kid has acquired a drum kit.

Untitled39_20221018131949.thumb.png.ac9be1c9c275de2a6f50ffec86c24467.png

I'm a drummer (well formerly, would love to have somewhere to practice). I've lived in semi detached houses for years and never once thought it'd be acceptable to set up the kit in the house. If you have a room that purposely soundproofed for it that's alright but a normal party wall is not going to cut the mustard

If you get on with the neighbours, maybe agree to some acceptable practice times? If not then get the council involved, they will act on it - I used to practice in a shed when I lived with my parents, one of the neighbours got sick of it and we received a threatening letter from the council. Made sure to keep practice quieter from then on

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I'm a drummer (well formerly, would love to have somewhere to practice). I've lived in semi detached houses for years and never once thought it'd be acceptable to set up the kit in the house. If you have a room that purposely soundproofed for it that's alright but a normal party wall is not going to cut the mustard

If you get on with the neighbours, maybe agree to some acceptable practice times? If not then get the council involved, they will act on it - I used to practice in a shed when I lived with my parents, one of the neighbours got sick of it and we received a threatening letter from the council. Made sure to keep practice quieter from then on

Agree that a semi detached isn't ideal for drumming.

I play guitar and keyboard in what I loosely describe as a band and I wouldn't dream of plugging in and playing amplified.  I've never had the band round here to jam precisely because I don't want to inflict our noise on others (and it helps that three of them live in detached houses).

If I really want to make a racket I go to a rehearsal studio.  There are loads near where we live.

Ordinarily, I try to accept that this is life and they can make as much noise as they want during the day, but:

a) It's booming through the walls fairly loud.

and 

b) The kid is obvs an absolute beginner -  it sounds terrible. Like someone is chucking wheelie bins down a cliff face. And then hitting the high hat.

I usually keep a distance from my neighbour, just smile and wave, etc, because his missus seems to have some mental health issues which lead to her screaming at him and their kids,  but I think this is going to have to be a discussion point.

Feck.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Agree that a semi detached isn't ideal for drumming.

I play guitar and keyboard in what I loosely describe as a band and I wouldn't dream of plugging in and playing amplified.  I've never had the band round here to jam precisely because I don't want to inflict our noise on others (and it helps that three of them live in detached houses).

If I really want to make a racket I go to a rehearsal studio.  There are loads near where we live.

Ordinarily, I try to accept that this is life and they can make as much noise as they want during the day, but:

a) It's booming through the walls fairly loud.

and 

b) The kid is obvs an absolute beginner -  it sounds terrible. Like someone is chucking wheelie bins down a cliff face. And then hitting the high hat.

I usually keep a distance from my neighbour, just smile and wave, etc, because his missus seems to have some mental health issues which lead to her screaming at him and their kids,  but I think this is going to have to be a discussion point.

Feck.

Fully agree about using a rehearsal studio. My son in law runs one. Very reasonable rates should be available to budding musicians with no need to upset neighbours.

On 16/10/2022 at 19:16, tom27111 said:

I never have a dull day at work though.

I dropped a box on a Pugs head, had a real Inbetweeners moment where I pulled out in front of a hearse (totally accidentally), see ladies sunbathing topless in hot weather and my favourite ever moment was driving past a bunch of around 20 kids, aged about 10, who started chanting, in unison "AMAZON, AMAZON, AMAZON". I was waving out of the window and felt like the fvcking man lol

Question for you. I lived in a block of flats and my friends that still live there complain constantly about Amazon parcels going missing, mainly because the Amazon delivery guy just dumps them in the lobby and not take them into the post room. The local scum bags know this and follow him in, or get buzzed in a nick the parcels. 

It is a block of around 100 flats so there can be a lot of parcels, and I expect it would be a ball ache to get them into the secured post room which needs a fob to access. Do you generally carry fobs for things like post rooms? If you do what could be said to who to get the delivery driver(s) to do their job properly?

On 18/10/2022 at 16:26, Captain... said:

Question for you. I lived in a block of flats and my friends that still live there complain constantly about Amazon parcels going missing, mainly because the Amazon delivery guy just dumps them in the lobby and not take them into the post room. The local scum bags know this and follow him in, or get buzzed in a nick the parcels. 

It is a block of around 100 flats so there can be a lot of parcels, and I expect it would be a ball ache to get them into the secured post room which needs a fob to access. Do you generally carry fobs for things like post rooms? If you do what could be said to who to get the delivery driver(s) to do their job properly?

This is a tough one.

We're targeted as a company to drop off as many parcels as possible and not return any.

The proper way to do things is try to gain access by buzzing a flat, if no answer, we phone the customer. 

No response to that, I'd return the parcel.

If there's a sage place specified, which is unlikely in a block of flats, we'd leave it there and take a picture.

We aren't allowed to leave with a neighbour unless you've specified it.

In answer to your question though, no. We don't have fobs to access buildings, although Royal Mail do. A few occasions they've let me in as they're walking by.

Amazon will send out a replacement if a parcel has gone missing and the driver will be eventually offboarded if 'concessions' are a regular thing.

But on the flip side, as the courier, its bloody annoying that people order stuff and aren't home when you try to deliver it.

In a case like that, I'd recommend getting your parcels deliver to an Amazon locker or hub.

Lockers are those big yellow things you randomly see in shops and petrol stations and the hubs are usually local shops. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

This is a tough one.

We're targeted as a company to drop off as many parcels as possible and not return any.

The proper way to do things is try to gain access by buzzing a flat, if no answer, we phone the customer. 

No response to that, I'd return the parcel.

If there's a sage place specified, which is unlikely in a block of flats, we'd leave it there and take a picture.

We aren't allowed to leave with a neighbour unless you've specified it.

In answer to your question though, no. We don't have fobs to access buildings, although Royal Mail do. A few occasions they've let me in as they're walking by.

Amazon will send out a replacement if a parcel has gone missing and the driver will be eventually offboarded if 'concessions' are a regular thing.

But on the flip side, as the courier, its bloody annoying that people order stuff and aren't home when you try to deliver it.

In a case like that, I'd recommend getting your parcels deliver to an Amazon locker or hub.

Lockers are those big yellow things you randomly see in shops and petrol stations and the hubs are usually local shops. 

Quite a few people have started using these as it is getting to be ridiculous. This a typical sight. That's the fob access post room that it's piled up against. Probably all for different flats. They are saying that they haven't been buzzed and they are just left there.  IMG-20221016-WA0005.thumb.jpg.6cf92610bb93e7f2ffa916f6826ff84b.jpg

46 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Quite a few people have started using these as it is getting to be ridiculous. This a typical sight. That's the fob access post room that it's piled up against. Probably all for different flats. They are saying that they haven't been buzzed and they are just left there.  IMG-20221016-WA0005.thumb.jpg.6cf92610bb93e7f2ffa916f6826ff84b.jpg

That's just pure laziness and drivers will get sacked for that. Rightly so.

Drivers also have the mentality to get rid of everything, so they can go home quicker.

Dumping parcels means they don't have to go back to the depot at the end of the day.

You can do the job properly and quickly though. I did exactly 160 drops in bang on 5 hours today. That's an average of 32 per hour. 

I had to take 3 back to the depot. I'd rather do that than dump them and get concessions. 

Just now, Arkie Bennett said:

Went in a corner shop on Uppingham Road this morning to buy a bottle of Pepsi Max to quench my thirst. Only to be told by the shopkeeper that she was going to charge me 50p for paying with my debit card because it was under a fiver. I pointed out it's illegal but she didn't relent.

It's not illegal. That exact thing pissed me off a while back too so I checked. 

A minimum amount on card payments is frowned upon by most of the major card manufacturers but can't stop retailers imposing them. 

https://www.cardswitcher.co.uk/minimum-card-payment/

What they can't do is charge you for actually making a card payment. 

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

It's not illegal. That exact thing pissed me off a while back too so I checked. 

A minimum amount on card payments is frowned upon by most of the major card manufacturers but can't stop retailers imposing them. 

https://www.cardswitcher.co.uk/minimum-card-payment/

What they can't do is charge you for actually making a card payment. 

It wasn't a minimum card payment, it was a surcharge.

From gov.uk, 18 January 2018:

Today’s ban means that it will be unlawful for retailers to charge additional fees when someone uses a particular credit or debit card, or other payment systems like PayPal, to make a purchase. This will ensure consumers can be confident that there won’t be any nasty surprises, and they won’t be penalised for wanting to pay in a particular way.

11 hours ago, The Bear said:

She literally said it was a charge for anything under a fiver. Which is a minimum amount to be able to use your card. 

Does the surcharge apply when spending under £5 in cash? If not, then surely it is a surcharge for using a card.