Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

13 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

Why the 146 page Ukraine thread then?

Can't really speak for the mods, but don't think it's because the Israel/Palestine issue is more/less taboo than Ukraine, it's more the debate tends to get a bit more spicy and they don't want the hastle of moderating a very hot and emotive subject.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

Pretty obvious that Israel / Palestine is more divisive than the Ukraine War. You can be facetious if you want and debate whether that SHOULD be the case but clearly one of those subjects is going to create more arguments than the other. 

22 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

TJ coming from experience if you want to debate anything controversial it’s best done outside of here, it’s a moderators nightmare and minefield trying to keep on top of a subject like Israel / Palestine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

TJ coming from experience if you want to debate anything controversial it’s best done outside of here, it’s a moderators nightmare and minefield trying to keep on top of a subject like Israel / Palestine. 

I appreciate the difficulty in moderating here and I realise I was too harsh on the mods in my initial post, but I find it so disturbing that the result is a deafening silence when we are all seeing the absolute horror going on every day.

2 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

I appreciate the difficulty in moderating here and I realise I was too harsh on the mods in my initial post, but I find it so disturbing that the result is a deafening silence when we are all seeing the absolute horror going on every day.

Have a look on Twitter or other social media platforms, very open to voice your opinion on the subject IMO. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Having to fill in monthly reports about my work performance when we have enough to do as it is. Absolute ball ache.

You have to report on your own work performance? I hate all that bs. Much better to have a boss that trusts you to crack on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fox in the North said:

Having to fill in monthly reports about my work performance when we have enough to do as it is. Absolute ball ache.

Agreed!

55 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

You have to report on your own work performance? I hate all that bs. Much better to have a boss that trusts you to crack on. 

I have a very trusting boss, but it's company policy to have monthly 1-2-1s and a mid-year appraisal as well as end-of-year appraisal. The latter used to be worthwhile as it would dictate what bonus we'd get, but now we don't get a bonus and just a pay-rise which everyone gets. So someone who just does the bare minimum in their job, would end up getting the same payrise as someone who works their socks off despite relentless pressures or unsustainable workloads...

It makes wanting to work more and 'prove yourself' or go 'above and beyond' totally worthless as the incentive to do well (in a financial sense) is not there any more.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, StanSP said:

Agreed!

I have a very trusting boss, but it's company policy to have monthly 1-2-1s and a mid-year appraisal as well as end-of-year appraisal. The latter used to be worthwhile as it would dictate what bonus we'd get, but now we don't get a bonus and just a pay-rise which everyone gets. So someone who just does the bare minimum in their job, would end up getting the same payrise as someone who works their socks off despite relentless pressures or unsustainable workloads...

It makes wanting to work more and 'prove yourself' or go 'above and beyond' totally worthless as the incentive to do well (in a financial sense) is not there any more.

I can understand every 6 months, but monthly appraisals is overkill/management for the sake of management imo.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2023 at 19:38, StanSP said:

Agreed!

I don’t understand this process. Everyone gets a rise, the same rise, and there’s no bonus. Are they trying to get rid of people without having to pay redundancy? Sounds suspicious from them but also don’t understand why most people would stay 

4 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I don’t understand this process. Everyone gets a rise, the same rise, and there’s no bonus. Are they trying to get rid of people without having to pay redundancy? Sounds suspicious from them but also don’t understand why most people would stay 

Well several people have left and that's just in our department... But mainly due to stress from workload!

I'm not aware of any restructures or redundancies on the horizon... 

10 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I can understand every 6 months, but monthly appraisals is overkill/management for the sake of management imo.

I have 1-2-1s where I work; they’re very different from appraisals. They’re more to make sure you have regular interaction with your line manager so that you can raise issues and to make sure nothing in a half-yearly appraisal comes as a surprise.

Of course, it depends on the manager’s ability as to how useful they are.

4 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

When you work in the public sector, this is common (not a moan, just stating facts). I've worked in the public sector most of my working life and I've never had a bonus. I've had an appraisal each year, but could only move up my pay scale. Once I hit the top, nothing more I could do if there wasn't a promotion prospect.

I've worked in places where I never went on courses due to budgets constraints or got paid overtime, so I stopped that.. Even a thank you is seen as a bonus. 

It can make you think what's the point, but the offset for that is that the pension is good and better job security, but with the way things are going maybe that'll change.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

Well several people have left and that's just in our department... But mainly due to stress from workload!

I'm not aware of any restructures or redundancies on the horizon... 

Sorry to hear that and hope your role is manageable 

3 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

When you work in the public sector, this is common (not a moan, just stating facts). I've worked in the public sector most of my working life and I've never had a bonus. I've had an appraisal each year, but could only move up my pay scale. Once I hit the top, nothing more I could do if there wasn't a promotion prospect.

I've worked in places where I never went on courses due to budgets constraints or got paid overtime, so I stopped that.. Even a thank you is seen as a bonus. 

It can make you think what's the point, but the offset for that is that the pension is good and better job security, but with the way things are going maybe that'll change.  

Makes perfect sense, like you say the trade off is job security and a good pension. Imo these days there’s nothing more important 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dunge said:

I have 1-2-1s where I work; they’re very different from appraisals. They’re more to make sure you have regular interaction with your line manager so that you can raise issues and to make sure nothing in a half-yearly appraisal comes as a surprise.

I have weekly 1-2-1s with my manager and need at least that frequency. Not an appraisal or check up but to see where the hell we are with things, progress of the team, internal/external updates etc etc 

9 hours ago, Dunge said:

Exactly. Monthly 1-2-1s should be an opportunity for an informal discussion to check that you are ok.

Its very easy when working in a busy environment to forrget to check in on peoples wellbeing. IF there is nothing to discuss they only take 5-10 minutes. I use them as an opportunity for a catch up and make sure all is well at home etc.

19 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Some of those claiming to be can do people ought to have a crack at teaching since it’s so easy - show those lazy teachers how it’s done, eh. :whistle::D

My Mrs is a teacher and some of the stories she bores me  tells me about i honestly don't know why she just doesn't tell them all (management AND some students) to Feck off and do one!!

8 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I have weekly 1-2-1s with my manager and need at least that frequency. Not an appraisal or check up but to see where the hell we are with things, progress of the team, internal/external updates etc etc 

That's fair enough, I guess I just wouldn't call that a 1-2-1 specifically unless you're going out of your way to sit down formally and review certain things. That's just talking to your colleagues. 

• Like 1