Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Sierra Davenport in that first tweet is properly thick, she says Hogwarts was one of her best friends growing up. An imaginary building. Let that sink in for a moment.

Billions of people say the same about God. An imaginary being. Let that sink in for a moment..

• Like 2

If  I was fleeing a country I might want a phone to contact loved ones left behind, contact authorities about important papers or maybe call for a taxi at the other end.

One of those is a stupid reason.

Yeah but tbf, you'd probably have some cheap £5 thing, not a £700 mini computer.

Depends why they're fleeing, a lot are fleeing due to a batshit crazy organisation hell bent on religious ethnic cleansing, not due to their financial situations.

Yep. And do people really think that when you flee war you just wake up in the middle of the night, grab a few things and scarper?

Depends why they're fleeing, a lot are fleeing due to a batshit crazy organisation hell bent on religious ethnic cleansing, not due to their financial situations.

I was thinking of the type of phone Ken might have tbf lol

I'm not sure I'd want to travel that far in a dinghy with an iPhone anyway. Battery would never last!

I was thinking of the type of phone Ken might have tbf lol

I'm not sure I'd want to travel that far in a dinghy with an iPhone anyway. Battery would never last!

I was sat in a bar in Belgrade on Friday night full of about 50 Iraqis smoking, drinking and charging their phones in any available socket. Quite a surreal sight.

Are they smoking and using all the sockets?

You are a bar owner in Belgrade and i claim my $5

Nah they're usually quite well off and seemingly have zero common sense, oh you're carrying lots of plates? I'll stand right in the ****ing way then.

Nah they're usually quite well off and seemingly have zero common sense, oh you're carrying lots of plates? I'll stand right in the ****ing way then.

You must understand that being a member of the service industry it is your duty to make everyone feel like a special snowflake before melting back into anonymity.  You can't be that important or you wouldn't be doing that job.

I can't see anything wrong with this to be honest, I am sure you had read a book that have affected you in some way fleetingly or permanently at some point in your life. There is far more worser stuff in this world than sharing these feelings via notes. 

I have never felt like leaving a soppy note in a copy of a book I liked at Waterstone's then tweeting it to the world with some dumb quote like "Only dedicated fans would do this so whenever young readers come buy their book they can smile" so they can know what a great person I am.  It's self service disguised as being nice.  It's worse than the people who tweet each time they make a charitable donation because at least that self-service has a positive real-world result instead of some kid finding your silly note and binning it.

• Like 3

I have never felt like leaving a soppy note in a copy of a book I liked at Waterstone's then tweeting it to the world with some dumb quote like "Only dedicated fans would do this so whenever young readers come buy their book they can smile" so they can know what a great person I am. It's self service disguised as being nice. It's worse than the people who tweet each time they make a charitable donation because at least that self-service has a positive real-world result instead of some kid finding your silly note and binning it.

This times a million.

I'm tempted to just write whatever the spoiler is on a bunch of Post-Its ("Wigglemort dies") and stick them halfway through the book on every copy I can find.

If they want to write a review  go on the authors website or   book site and comment. Much more useful to the author feedback wise.

If they want to write a review  go on the authors website or   book site and comment. Much more useful to the author feedback wise.

True but I don't think it's really the same thing. I would love it if someone wrote a note in the book saying "3 out of 5 stars. Fairly enjoyable but somewhat predictable. Harry comes across as something of a loser and I can't relate to that." Then maybe go on to recommend something else