Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Apologies, first of all I hope your daughter is OK.

My comment was intended to be a throwaway line about how people will blame anything for any sort of behaviour in this day and age, often to the detriment of genuine victims of the cases I mentioned, certainly didn't intend to mock people who suffer from a genuine illness. Probably for a new thread but we really need to look at why so many people have bipolar now, did they always?

I don't think it's unlikely someone with bipolar would get into Eton, according to some research the vast majority aren't even dianosed until they are adults and Churchill, Roosevelt, Lincoln, Napoleon, Kennedy and Hamilton were all considered it.

My GF is a nurse and has claimed I'm bipolar for years....

Same as ADHD, dyslexia and the like - yes, we've just become better at diagnosing it.

Amusing enough reply, but you know exactly what I'm getting at.

I don't necessarily disagree that some teachers aren't all that in tha same way that some paramedics or office workers or call handlers or any other job you care to mention.

I was commenting on your attitude and the nastiness in the majority of your responses to those you have a gripe with or who's views don't match your own. Often just in general you are (or come across as) unpleasant and your sarcasm has a nasty edge to it. That said, some of your posts have a degree of intelligence. It's a shame you let yourself down in other responses.

I have been on the recieving end of some extremely personal and nasty comments from you about my family of whom you know nothing so had no right to say what you did and you deservedly got sanctioned.

I have no doubt you will again.

Fair enough, it's actually a couple of years since that happened, and of the many posts I've made since I think you'll struggle to find one that is particularly nasty or unpleasant. I've been a much friendlier poster in recent years.

Ironically the only nasty or unpleasant posts I read on here these days are from people who constantly react that way to any right wing poster such as Claridge, who has received dogs abuse on here for months.

That's all I've got to say on the matter. Have a nice day :)

I find it really hard to be neutral about teachers. In fact I'm not at all. My post history shows I've had a super rant ages ago about the perception of teachers. My OH is a teacher, a surprisingly large amount of my friends are (how did that happen!?) and my sister is a teacher. I always interpret criticism as an attack on them but in the main some criticism is right.

As I know so many I get to hear stories. There are stories of useless teachers abound and unfortunately the good ones know who the bad ones are, not that they can do anything about it. Some, let's say, manage to rise to a position of power their people skills and abilities may not justify, causing whole departments to potentially rupture. The OH has even told a story of a science teacher who, in their NQT year, teachign sex ed, said girls shouldn't have sex before they marry. He did not pass his NQT year.

But there are good ones. I'm biased I watch my GF work her fingers to the bone for a pathetic TLR as second in command in her department. She did up to a masters and does a really good job. The work she has to do, the prep, the admin, it's eyewatering; she even set up a Duke of Edinburgh group which hadn't existed before and there I am at home on my arse after work, earning not an awful lot less than her. I hope her work pays off and she rises, because she deserves to earn far more than she does.

I think there's a balance. Yes, attract the best and brightest, but don't throw money at them to do it because you'll only get unmotivated people who grab the cash and don't care. Equally, let's not see teaching as a career which you enter for 40 years, exit with nice pension and retire happy. I don't mind having people fresh from uni if they really WANT to be a teacher for the right reasons and have the ability, not because they "can't think of anything else to do."

But it's a fact there are some useless ones around and you hear of them. It's also clear from what you hear that some trips are planned based on where that teacher would like to go. My OH is in favour of performance related pay, she's part of a union only to cover herself in case any student starts spouting lies, not to strike. She's a good egg. There are bad eggs, you'll find them in every sector but the problem is they have such a responsibility in educating our future generations it's not easy.

Give and take though, some kids are a nightmare and what can you do if they simply don't want to learn? Discipline, or lack of it, plays a key role. When I was at school if my teacher had told my parents something I'd done I would have been castigated, now it's the teachers fault, or faultless Jimmy did nothing wrong, he said so.

One day we'd like to try living abroad, and teaching will be the hook that gets us over there. No system is perfect and there are bad apples everywhere. I certainly agree that a certain number of teachers are in the profession for the wrong reasons, but I see how much morale is hit when all you read and hear is how terrible teachers are and how bad they're doing. I'd love to see more praise for those doing well and doing everything.

• Like 2

I take it you've not been in the Liverpool thread in the Gen Sports section to see Grandad telling people to die then lol

EDIT: PS. Sorry to hear about your daughter, hope all is well.

Thank you, she has survived, obviously. Now we just have to get on with life and wait for the next mind crisis.

I've never looked at the Liverpool thread but I'm going to now.

• Like 2

I can only speak from my experience when I was at school, but not one single parent who I knew was like that or treated their kids with such worthlessness. If there was a problem with a student/teacher, the parents were called in and it would be discussed with the teacher of that particular subject, along with their tutor etc. Of course there were disagreements, but at the end of the day, mutual ground was always met, as that's what matters. You resolve things like adults and you learn from an early age that's how to do it. There was no 'banding up to get teachers sacked because money matters', or 'the rich who don't pay attention to their kids education'. That's such a throwaway comment, it could be flipped on it's head to say at council estate schools the kids just get dumped there and forgotten about because their parents are too busy down the pub all day etc. I'm sure there will be a tiny minority each way, but it's wrong to make such a generalisation.

I dont disagree with you. I was just remarking in terms of those who think private school is always better or doesnt have it's own issues (just like public school etc). We could pick apart both sides without a doubt. My comment on banding up still holds true as i know of this happening in the private system via a friend. This is in canada though so keep that in mind.

The nice kids suffer as well.  My daughter is a really lovely kid (does her tantrums at home and learnt respect in 3 year of pre-prep thanks to a wonderful teacher) and this week a horrible little madam accused her of punching her in the eye, when It was one of the boys the day before.  My daughter was excluded from a couple of activities and very upset before the teacher worked out the real story.  She did apologise, and I don't blame the teacher, some kids a ****ing horrible little shits.

The nice kids suffer as well. My daughter is a really lovely kid (does her tantrums at home and learnt respect in 3 year of pre-prep thanks to a wonderful teacher) and this week a horrible little madam accused her of punching her in the eye, when It was one of the boys the day before. My daughter was excluded from a couple of activities and very upset before the teacher worked out the real story. She did apologise, and I don't blame the teacher, some kids a ****ing horrible little shits.

That is not nice. Glad the teacher got the right story and apologized. This is why sometimes its a tough job to be a teacher.

Kids!

Bipolar used to be called manic depression. It is said we all  suffer from it in some way during our lives. There are many conditions that were ignored years ago and put down as going through a phrase and could be cured by 'pulling yourself together' It seems this is the way the present government is looking at it. They believe a few sessions with a career advisor will suddenly make thins better. Some are even suggesting that people Parkinsons will improved and maybe even cured. Some who have lost the use of legs have had their mobility vehicles in the hope it will encourage them to walk again. 

My daughter suffers from bipolar disorder and took a serious overdose (60 paracetamol) 3 days ago and has been in hospital as a result. She has no control over the lows she gets.

It's definitely NOT a culture

It's a shame someone with your intelligemnce would stoop to a low comment about mental illness.

It's highly unlikely someone with a mental illness like bipolar disorder would make it as far as a private school.

That is the Tory right for you. Mental illness is not real it is just a "character issue".  :rolleyes:  You have to understand that those on the extreme left and right of politics do not empathise with their fellow human beings, rather just see people as a means to their own ends.

Career climbers - the underhand kind.

I want to kick on at work and hope that everyone else does too, but there are ways and means...

We had a new start at work this week in a role at my level but slightly different - its a field base role cut geographically and the new starter brings the count to 4 doing that specific job. Anyway, we have no direct line manager at the moment which is tough so the induction was a bit patchy as I couldn't clarify direct objectives etc as our Director was out of the country until latter part of the week.

Turns out one of the existing 3 agreed with director on his return that they retain a lot of the area they were covering, including all of the interesting projects and potential to 'shine'. They went through a map of the UK with the Director and as he is conflict averse, managed to get him to agree that they retain 75 points, the newbie gets 45 - ridiculous.

Added to the fact that under the guise of being helpful this particular person has already nicked some of the more interesting parts of my job I'm a bit peeved. Full spectrum of tedious office politik tactics employed; 'accidentally' forgetting to cc you on emails, joining meetings unnecessarily, agreeing things out of remit etc - definitely grinds my gears.

All fairly standard fare but its the duplicity that annoys me - just be upfront you want to do things, don't be underhand.

Particularly grating is the faux niceness to my team on their frequent unnecessary trips in to the office when all I get when we're off site is bitching about them & 'sympathy' that they must be so hard to manage/work with...

On annual leave for a week now so can rant & forget until a week Monday!!!

• Like 1

Career climbers - the underhand kind.

I want to kick on at work and hope that everyone else does too, but there are ways and means...

We had a new start at work this week in a role at my level but slightly different - its a field base role cut geographically and the new starter brings the count to 4 doing that specific job. Anyway, we have no direct line manager at the moment which is tough so the induction was a bit patchy as I couldn't clarify direct objectives etc as our Director was out of the country until latter part of the week.

Turns out one of the existing 3 agreed with director on his return that they retain a lot of the area they were covering, including all of the interesting projects and potential to 'shine'. They went through a map of the UK with the Director and as he is conflict averse, managed to get him to agree that they retain 75 points, the newbie gets 45 - ridiculous.

Added to the fact that under the guise of being helpful this particular person has already nicked some of the more interesting parts of my job I'm a bit peeved. Full spectrum of tedious office politik tactics employed; 'accidentally' forgetting to cc you on emails, joining meetings unnecessarily, agreeing things out of remit etc - definitely grinds my gears.

All fairly standard fare but its the duplicity that annoys me - just be upfront you want to do things, don't be underhand.

Particularly grating is the faux niceness to my team on their frequent unnecessary trips in to the office when all I get when we're off site is bitching about them & 'sympathy' that they must be so hard to manage/work with...

On annual leave for a week now so can rant & forget until a week Monday!!!

That's a good one. People cannbe so snidey in the working environment

Thoughtful neighbours who do not think to inform you that they have been thoughtful. I ordered something from Ebay. It arrived Tuesday or Wednesday but my newish neighbour put it in the electric cupboard that is in the hallway for safekeeping. Only just found about it today. My other neighbour said he had placed it at the bottom of the stairs. I never thought to look anywhere else as I would have picked the package up going out or coming in. I had contacted the seller and was ready to contact Royal Mail.A note outside my door would have helped or leaving it outside my door. I will know where to look next time.

Problems leading to problems, had a problem with my car, got it fixed yesterday but now found another problem, only menial things, wear and tear but it might be time to change, certainly time to start looking.

Not even that old, only a 57.

I was considering a change anyway but was quite happy with the car so havn't bother looking thus far, my issue was that the longer I keep it the less i've got to part-ex towards a new car when I decide to get a new one, maybe it's a sign and a push to start the search.

Edited by Matt

Problems leading to problems, had a problem with my car, got it fixed yesterday but now found another problem, only menial things, wear and tear but it might be time to change, certainly time to start looking.

Not even that old, only a 57.

I was considering a change anyway but was quite happy with the car so havn't bother looking thus far, my issue was that the longer I keep it the less i've got to part-ex towards a new car when I decide to get a new one, maybe it's a sign and a push to start the search.

Cars a big cash drainder

Cars a big cash drainder

Oh without a doubt.

And i've not really had any problems with this one (in the 3 years i've had it, think it's been 3 anyway! lol), the trick is to get rid when they start costing though which i've what i've done with all my cars barr 1.

That is why i'm wondering whether its time to change or part of maintaining the car and I won't get any further problems soon.

Edited by Matt

What grinds my gears is when I can't use my phone, because the cats have chewed through both the charger and the spare charger (as well as my headphones).

You know what to do next.

4673.jpg

Since shortly after 11 my time (10 yours) I've been hungry but letting my housemate use the kitchen because I can hear her banging around in there and it's so small there's no point me using it at the same time.  The noise has finally died down so I went through to see if I could use the kitchen at last and all she's produced in this time is a shitty looking pizza which she's chucked chopped veg onto and left in the oven.  Really struggling to understand just how she's managed to make that take so long, the noise of kitchen-use was pretty consistent and I didn't hear anyone else enter or leave in that time...  My gears are equal parts ground and severely confused.