Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

I just spent a week away on courses for my work, which took place in a hotel in Leeds.

One of the courses was a 2 day "Leadership" course. It was conducted by an external consultant ("I'm not a trainer, I'm a facilitator"). Lord knows what they paid him.

From about 20 minutes in, I spent most of the two days fantasising about shutting our "facilitator" up by beating him to a bloody pulp.

His training style was to repeatedly not finish his............................................................................................................................... sentences, with the expectation that his audience would do so for him.

It felt like a cult, with the cult leader getting the cultees to chant, Radio Gaga style.

I wouldn't have minded if he'd not been trying to peddle the same tired psychobabble I was being regaled with on similar courses in the early 90's.

Trouble was, our top managers rave about this dude and his Leadership courses, so pointing out any of my lack of enthusiasm would be career suicide.

I went along with it. I played the game. I finished some if his sentences. I wrote obvious stuff up on flip charts and then read the words back to our group as if they contained insight. I nodded along to all the recycled vacuous platitudes.

I felt like an atheist in church.

I hated myself a bit.

My gears were ground.

• Like 2

I just spent a week away on courses for my work, which took place in a hotel in Leeds.

One of the courses was a 2 day "Leadership" course. It was conducted by an external consultant ("I'm not a trainer, I'm a facilitator"). Lord knows what they paid him.

From about 20 minutes in, I spent most of the two days fantasising about shutting our "facilitator" up by beating him to a bloody pulp.

His training style was to repeatedly not finish his............................................................................................................................... sentences, with the expectation that his audience would do so for him.

It felt like a cult, with the cult leader getting the cultees to chant, Radio Gaga style.

I wouldn't have minded if he'd not been trying to peddle the same tired psychobabble I was being regaled with on similar courses in the early 90's.

Trouble was, our top managers rave about this dude and his Leadership courses, so pointing out any of my lack of enthusiasm would be career suicide.

I went along with it. I played the game. I finished some if his sentences. I wrote obvious stuff up on flip charts and then read the words back to our group as if they contained insight. I nodded along to all the recycled vacuous platitudes.

I hated myself a bit.

My gears were ground.

That does sound absolutely fvcking awful. Another reason to hate the corporate environment.

• Like 1

I hated myself a bit.

My gears were ground.

Sell out.

• Like 1