Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Today?

Having to watch that dross that is the new Bond movie, then coming out of the theatre hearing about the Paris shootings and hostage situation and having to listen to one of the most mundane conversations next to me on the train back home, which, given the other two aforementioned downers, puts our Western day-to-day troubles to shame in comparison.

Edited by MC Prussian

With the world still raw over what happened in Paris I read this morning that Big John Prescott thinks the answer is to :   "Channel that anger-fuelled energy to sue for a lasting peaceful solution across that region (Syria/ISIS)" .....     he also mentions that our earlier involvement in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya only poured petrol on the situation and that he hopes  "some politicians"  will not push for greater military intervention like they did after 9/11.

Boil it down ....   try and make peace with terrorists and don't go starting wars based on total (WMD) lies ...    (like me and my mate Tone did when we were in power).  

Sometimes I can't believe what I am reading .....     for many years this man was our deputy Prime Minister.     Why doesn't he just shut up.

I'm absolutely sick of these sneering, patronising, far-left moral high ground-takers that are poisoning social media.

I'm specifically referring to the recent spate of these clowns objecting to others' using the French flag on their profile pictures as a show of support after Friday's events.

'Oooh, people are dying in Syria and Kenya too, blah blah...' they say.

They might well be, but this doesn't change the fact that people are quite upset about what's gone on in France and have every right to be.

Do we need to have a permanent tribute to the Omagh bombing in our profile pics too? And a memorial to those killed in the Jonestown massacre?

Not to mention the fact that half of these twats have only just read about an attack in Kenya that happened months ago, but that happened to find its way to the top of the BBC website's most read list recently and nobody has looked at the date of the article.

Social media turns some people into insufferable wankers TBH.

I'm absolutely sick of these sneering, patronising, far-left moral high ground-takers that are poisoning social media.

I'm specifically referring to the recent spate of these clowns objecting to others' using the French flag on their profile pictures as a show of support after Friday's events.

'Oooh, people are dying in Syria and Kenya too, blah blah...' they say.

They might well be, but this doesn't change the fact that people are quite upset about what's gone on in France and have every right to be.

Do we need to have a permanent tribute to the Omagh bombing in our profile pics too? And a memorial to those killed in the Jonestown massacre?

Not to mention the fact that half of these twats have only just read about an attack in Kenya that happened months ago, but that happened to find its way to the top of the BBC website's most read list recently and nobody has looked at the date of the article.

Social media turns some people into insufferable wankers TBH.

Meh.

Of course what happened in Paris was horribly fvcked up and terrible, but I saw no harm in knowing that equally fvcked up things happen around the globe pretty regularly in the name of a dozen different ideologies but without nearly as much mainstream media coverage (for a variety of reasons).

We're all human, after all, and perhaps one day we'll stop killing each other for monumentally stupid reasons long enough to realise that.

• Like 1

Meh.

Of course what happened in Paris was horribly fvcked up and terrible, but I saw no harm in knowing that equally fvcked up things happen around the globe pretty regularly in the name of a dozen different ideologies but without nearly as much mainstream media coverage (for a variety of reasons).

We're all human, after all, and perhaps one day we'll stop killing each other for monumentally stupid reasons long enough to realise that.

Not gonna happen mate unfortunately. Europe and America might have got to that point through time, not anymore though, if you invite the most unstable part of the World to expand, take the consequence of what comes with it, we'll be at war now for at least the rest of our and our children's lifetimes.

Not gonna happen mate unfortunately. Europe and America might have got to that point through time, not anymore though, if you invite the most unstable part of the World to expand, take the consequence of what comes with it, we'll be at war now for at least the rest of our and our children's lifetimes.

You might be surprised...given the way the last hundred years has panned out, I really wouldn't want to try to predict the next hundred.

I guess we'll find out.

I have also seen a few Britain First posts asking people to share if they think immigrants should be stopped entering Britain. I find those distasteful. I had the flag for a few days, now removed. A lot of the stuff is gut reaction and understandably people will say things and blame Muslims as a whole. It is hard to be calm and rational in these situations.

It works both ways though surely? I've seen someone post about a person on the timeline saying that everyone who hasn't changed their profile picture should "hang their heads in shame." Frankly if someone said that on my social media I'd unfollow/unfriend them instantly. There seems to be a rise in remembrance/mourning fascism as well as the opposite WHY AIN'T YOU GOT A LEBANESE FLAG attitude. 

I haven't posted a thing on any of my social media about Paris. It's horrible, tragic and unimaginable, but my thoughts are totally irrelevent to the situation and what's happening. No-one cares about my views, because my shock and reaction to what happened is exactly the same as everyone else, and I don't feel compelled to say anything. Changing my profile picture to a France flag is a temporary public pat on the back to make sure everyone knows how sad and sorrowful you are for last Friday which, personally, I don't think is necessary. That's not to say I have a problem with it on a mass scale, but both extremes are utterly moronic.

And that's what grinds my gears, I guess.

Yep, I agree with both points.

I haven't changed my profile picture because I think it's becomming a bit of a crass bandwagon. I've made my views clear, Friday night's events were abhorrent but I am a bit sick of ignorant people on social media who are using it for "likes" and recognition.

Though I of course appreciate that not everyone is like this and the large majority are doing it for the right reasons.

It works both ways though surely? I've seen someone post about a person on the timeline saying that everyone who hasn't changed their profile picture should "hang their heads in shame." Frankly if someone said that on my social media I'd unfollow/unfriend them instantly. There seems to be a rise in remembrance/mourning fascism as well as the opposite WHY AIN'T YOU GOT A LEBANESE FLAG attitude. 

I haven't posted a thing on any of my social media about Paris. It's horrible, tragic and unimaginable, but my thoughts are totally irrelevent to the situation and what's happening. No-one cares about my views, because my shock and reaction to what happened is exactly the same as everyone else, and I don't feel compelled to say anything. Changing my profile picture to a France flag is a temporary public pat on the back to make sure everyone knows how sad and sorrowful you are for last Friday which, personally, I don't think is necessary. That's not to say I have a problem with it on a mass scale, but both extremes are utterly moronic.

And that's what grinds my gears, I guess.

I find all this bollocks inexplicable, I really do, and it's exactly the same sort of box ticking judgemental shite that has poisoned Remembrance Sunday.  Not wearing a poppy?  C*NT.  Not changed your profile picture to a French flag? C*NT.  Not singing the National Anthem? C*NT.  Your actual values and personal reflections irrelevant, visible symbols of your supposed position are all that matters.

I still support the British Legion with donations from time to time, because ultimately that's helping on a practical level, but I don't wear a poppy any more because I've no desire to appease to the whims of total twats on any level

• Like 4

I have also seen a few Britain First posts asking people to share if they think immigrants should be stopped entering Britain. I find those distasteful. I had the flag for a few days, now removed. A lot of the stuff is gut reaction and understandably people will say things and blame Muslims as a whole. It is hard to be calm and rational in these situations.

Loads of lefties on my timeline keep saying this as well, I can honestly say I've not seen a Britain First photo on Faecbook for months.

Maybe I keep better company than most :)

I find all this bollocks inexplicable, I really do, and it's exactly the same sort of box ticking judgemental shite that has poisoned Remembrance Sunday. Not wearing a poppy? C*NT. Not changed your profile picture to a French flag? C*NT. Not singing the National Anthem? C*NT. Your actual values and personal reflections irrelevant, visible symbols of your supposed position are all that matters.

I still support the British Legion with donations from time to time, because ultimately that's helping on a practical level, but I don't wear a poppy any more because I've no desire to appease to the whims of total twats on any level

Spot on Bellend. This decade will be remembered for the false sentimentality and mock outrage that has spread like wildfire across social media.

My iPhone 5 that I use for work suddenly losing massive amounts of power over a short period of time and now oftentimes switching off unexpectedly - with allegedly 7% battery life still to go!

I bet this is the often-rumoured built-in end-of-lifecycle mode implemented by Apple.

I find all this bollocks inexplicable, I really do, and it's exactly the same sort of box ticking judgemental shite that has poisoned Remembrance Sunday.  Not wearing a poppy?  C*NT.  Not changed your profile picture to a French flag? C*NT.  Not singing the National Anthem? C*NT.  Your actual values and personal reflections irrelevant, visible symbols of your supposed position are all that matters.

Exactly. It's not about doing anything positive, it's about compassionate points scoring, all of it.

Every single atrocity or disaster brings out the very worst in social media.

- French flag filtered profile picture smugness 

- #prayforparis 

- "why are we only praying for paris? there's stuff going on all over the world. i say #prayforlebanon and now #prayforsyria after the French airstrikes"

- arseholes whose only political "knowledge" comes from watching the leaders debates and tell us why France are wrong in their response

- "Not all Muslims are like this. These aren't representative of Islam." Well obviously.  

- "Random muslim condemns attacks". Yeah nice one

- obviously the Britain First morons, whose first response is to ban the burka because that's where we're going wrong.

Load of shit. 

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 2

Exactly. It's not about doing anything positive, it's about compassionate points scoring, all of it.

Every single atrocity or disaster brings out the very worst in social media.

- French flag filtered profile picture smugness

- #prayforparis

- "why are we only praying for paris? there's stuff going on all over the world. i say #prayforlebanon and now #prayforsyria after the French airstrikes"

- arseholes whose only political "knowledge" comes from watching the leaders debates and tell us why France are wrong in their response

- "Not all Muslims are like this. These aren't representative of Islam." Well obviously.

- "Random muslim condemns attacks". Yeah nice one

- obviously the Britain First morons, whose first response is to ban the burka because that's where we're going wrong.

Load of shit.

Social media lets the majority voice an opinion to the masses without having to express a vast amount of knowledge of the subject.

It's all too easy to jump on an ambulance and post BS these days. It's best to leave those that choice to post these kind of statuses to themselves, they soon shit up when corrie comes on