Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Grammar tests in Primary School. Here are some examples of the Grammar questions for year 6 (10 - 11 year olds).

Year Six Grammar

1. 1. Underline all the determiners in this sentence: "Two apple trees screened the open windows on one side."
  2. 2. Complete this sentence so that it uses the subjunctive form: "If I ____ to have one wish, it would be for good health."
  3. 3. Identify the verb form that is in the present perfect in this passage: "Rachel loves music and has wanted to learn how to play the piano for years. She was hoping for piano lessons, and was delighted when her parents gave her a keyboard for her birthday."
  4. 4. Is the phrase "where my father works" in this sentence a preposition phrase, a relative clause, a main clause or a noun phrase? "My baby brother was born in the hospital where my father works."

Our education system really does make me despair. I have no idea why I have to teach 6-7 year olds what a command or statement is, or what an adverb or an expanded noun phrase is.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 1

Grammar tests in Primary School. Here are some examples of the Grammar questions for year 6 (10 - 11 year olds).

Year Six Grammar

1. 1. Underline all the determiners in this sentence: "Two apple trees screened the open windows on one side."
  2. 2. Complete this sentence so that it uses the subjunctive form: "If I ____ to have one wish, it would be for good health."
  3. 3. Identify the verb form that is in the present perfect in this passage: "Rachel loves music and has wanted to learn how to play the piano for years. She was hoping for piano lessons, and was delighted when her parents gave her a keyboard for her birthday."
  4. 4. Is the phrase "where my father works" in this sentence a preposition phrase, a relative clause, a main clause or a noun phrase? "My baby brother was born in the hospital where my father works."

Our education system really does make me despair. I have no idea why I have to teach 6-7 year olds what a command or statement is, or what an adverb or an expanded noun phrase is.

I wish I had learnt this stuff when I was that age. English was always just about reading, but not really about the technical stuff, and then at GCSE when they started getting into the technical aspects, no one explained it as it seemed to me they assumed we learnt it when we were younger.

Year Six Grammar

• 1. Underline all the determiners in this sentence: "Two apple trees screened the open windows on one side."
  • 2. Complete this sentence so that it uses the subjunctive form: "If I ____ to have one wish, it would be for good health."
  • 3. Identify the verb form that is in the present perfect in this passage: "Rachel loves music and has wanted to learn how to play the piano for years. She was hoping for piano lessons, and was delighted when her parents gave her a keyboard for her birthday."
  • 4. Is the phrase "where my father works" in this sentence a preposition phrase, a relative clause, a main clause or a noun phrase? "My baby brother was born in the hospital where my father works."
I'm an A level English student and I could only answer the first one lol Edited by Wookie

Coffee shops that don't serve coffee.

Bit of a 1st world rant from a developing country. But there is a coffee shop here that gets rave reviews, so I went this morning for breakfast, but they were on generator power, and had prioritised baking over their coffee machine.

The owner says they won't pay someone to come in early to bake, which makes no sense to me. Surely, you'd have your baking done first thing in the morning ready for people to have breakfast, which would mean they could run the coffee machine on the generator.

The power company and their inability to provide power is ruining small businesses.

Coffee shops that don't serve coffee.

Bit of a 1st world rant from a developing country. But there is a coffee shop here that gets rave reviews, so I went this morning for breakfast, but they were on generator power, and had prioritised baking over their coffee machine.

The owner says they won't pay someone to come in early to bake, which makes no sense to me. Surely, you'd have your baking done first thing in the morning ready for people to have breakfast, which would mean they could run the coffee machine on the generator.

The power company and their inability to provide power is ruining small businesses.

I don't think I could live anywhere that wasn't a developed country because shit like this would do my head in

Work in a small ish office with about 12 people and we have the radio on, and there is one annoying woman that feels the need to hum a long to EVERY song!! it is pretty much the most annoying thing in the world!!!

Better that than her f**king whistling along to them.

Year Six Grammar

Why do you despair?  That looks like exactly the sort of thing kids need to learn if we want them to grow into a new generation of Brits who aren't god awful at grammar and by consequence terrible at learning new languages when they set foot abroad.  Give them the blocks and teach them how to build.

The price of holidays for single people :angry: Want something a bit more cultured than Malia with the lads, I am happy to lone travel but would be nice to share the experience with someone with similar interests.

So which bit are you annoyed at? The price of the holiday or the fact you haven't got anyone to go with?

Why do you despair?  That looks like exactly the sort of thing kids need to learn if we want them to grow into a new generation of Brits who aren't god awful at grammar and by consequence terrible at learning new languages when they set foot abroad.  Give them the blocks and teach them how to build.

Because at the age of 6, a lot of children can barely read or write a grammatically correct sentence. Lots of children at that age struggle to use a full stop and a capital letter in the right place - quite a few still can't even form their letters correctly! Do you really think understanding what an expanded noun phrase is should be a priority for that age? I'm not opposed to learning grammar, but it needs to be age appropriate (which it certainly isn't, and you'll be very hard pressed to find any Primary teacher who disagrees with me). I think being able to focus on the basics of reading and writing would be a far more productive use of time.

The phrase "learn to walk before you can run" springs to mind.

Edited by Charl91

Because at the age of 6, a lot of children can barely read or write a grammatically correct sentence. Lots of children at that age struggle to use a full stop and a capital letter in the right place - quite a few still can't even form their letters correctly! Do you really think understanding what an expanded noun phrase is should be a priority for that age? I'm not opposed to learning grammar, but it needs to be age appropriate (which it certainly isn't, and you'll be very hard pressed to find any Primary teacher who disagrees with me). I think being able to focus on the basics of reading and writing would be a far more productive use of time.

Year 6, 10-11 year olds. Not 6 years old.

You even wrote the original post!

The price of holidays for single people  :angry: Want something a bit more cultured than Malia with the lads, I am happy to lone travel but would be nice to share the experience with someone with similar interests.

What's the problem?

You can book flights and accommodation anywhere. Whats being single got to do with it?

Year 6, 10-11 year olds. Not 6 years old.

You even wrote the original post!

No wonder your kids are struggling if you're giving them work 4 years too early! :D