Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Stamp duty!

Buying a house and selling a house all sorts of bollocks fees and charges, but fvcking STAMP DUTY, this is being paid to the government to effectively stamp the transfer of ownership.

How much does one get changed to bang a rubber stamp down on a bit of paper... $8000 -$9000 

thieving bastards.

That's cheap compared to the UK, Oz.

Stamp duty is effectively a tax, though, isn't it? If they only made a token charge to cover admin costs, they'd presumably have to increase some other tax or cut some public spending?  :dunno:

That's cheap compared to the UK, Oz.

Stamp duty is effectively a tax, though, isn't it? If they only made a token charge to cover admin costs, they'd presumably have to increase some other tax or cut some public spending?  :dunno:

Damn you and your common sense, i dont come to Foxestalk for logic and rational opinion...  :)

Stamp duty!

Buying a house and selling a house all sorts of bollocks fees and charges, but fvcking STAMP DUTY, this is being paid to the government to effectively stamp the transfer of ownership.

How much does one get changed to bang a rubber stamp down on a bit of paper... $8000 -$9000 

thieving bastards.

Stamp Duty acts as a useful way to help prevent people playing the residential property market like they are trading the stock market.

Stamp Duty acts as a useful way to help prevent people playing the residential property market like they are trading the stock market.

If it stopped the buy-to-letters speculating in the same way with what is a fundamental human right too I'd be in even more favour of it.

If it stopped the buy-to-letters speculating in the same way with what is a fundamental human right too I'd be in even more favour of it.

There is a special stamp duty coming in for buy to letters that should discourage it a bit.

I was just visiting local medical practice to get a repeat prescription.

When I asked to collect it, they told me I had to get it at a pharmacy in Market Harborough (which is about 20/30 minutes from where I live) - I asked why's that and they said that's the area the system says I live in.

When I told her I lived in Syston and gave them the details of my address here, they investigated it and said the error was down to me having a very similar surname and exact first name - I had to go through all my address details again and told me to wait in a packed waiting area for the prescription with the correct address on.

I waited 40 minutes and I had to ask how much longer it'd be, and the lady apologized saying she forgotten and would do it before 11:00 (which was another 15-minute wait).

Frustrating.

When I asked to collect it, they told me I had to get it at a pharmacy in Market Harborough (which is about 20/30 minutes from where I live) - I asked why's that and they said that's the area the system says I live in.

When I told her I lived in Syston and gave them the details of my address here, they investigated it and said the error was down to me having a very similar surname and exact first name - I had to go through all my address details again and told me to wait in a packed waiting area for the prescription with the correct address on.

I waited 40 minutes and I had to ask how much longer it'd be, and the lady apologized saying she forgotten and would do it before 11:00 (which was another 15-minute wait).

Frustrating.

Welcome to the NHS.

• Like 1

Frustrating.

It's a good job they didn't mix your prescription up! Ridiculous.

Guest MattP

Welcome to the over-stretched and under-funded NHS.

From he's saying it sounds like incompetence more than any sort of funding issue.

The receptionists at Syston health centre are crap. You can ring four hours and they won't even answer the phone so you go round there to make an appointment in person and they're just standing round chatting. It's nothing to do with funding.

• Like 1

Plastic bags at my local grocery store - you know, the ones you can use to put fresh produce in it, like bread or pastries.

I seem to be the only person in the world having problems opening one whenever I'm shopping.

The two plastic foils are a pain in the **** to separate, it's as if they're glued together and it's really finicky separating one side from the other when you're trying to rub both of them against each other with your fingers in the quest to create an opening.

That probably sounded more perverted than I intended it to be.

• Like 1

From he's saying it sounds like incompetence more than any sort of funding issue.

Oh, I'll not deny it was incompetent, Matt. But I doubt that there is a nationally agreed pay scale for Dr's receptionists, so she's probably not earning much more than minimum wage.

The phrase, pay peanuts, get monkeys, springs to mind.

Edited by Buce

Plastic bags at my local grocery store - you know, the ones you can use to put fresh produce in it, like bread or pastries.

I seem to be the only person in the world having problems opening one whenever I'm shopping.

The two plastic foils are a pain in the **** to separate, it's as if they're glued together and it's really finicky separating one side from the other when you're trying to rub both of them against each other with your fingers in the quest to create an opening.

That probably sounded more perverted than I intended it to be.

Top tip: a bit of spit on finger and thumb. 

Continuing your unintentional perversion theme....

The receptionists at Syston health centre are crap. You can ring four hours and they won't even answer the phone so you go round there to make an appointment in person and they're just standing round chatting. It's nothing to do with funding.

I also said the NHS is over-stretched, Webbo, though with your additional information, it hardly seems the case in Syston.

Seems more like a recruitment issue, in which case, I refer you to my reply to Matt.

Top tip: a bit of spit on finger and thumb.

Continuing your unintentional perversion theme....

Please tell me where you shop, Alf - I'd like to avoid being the customer who uses the bags after you..

Please tell me where you shop, Alf - I'd like to avoid being the customer who uses the bags after you..

My top tip only applies to the bag detached for one's own produce, not bags left for other customers. That would indeed be a trifle unhygienic.

I'm a filthy pig, but not quite that bad!