Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

If the horses did not enjoy jumping the unseated ones would stop.

Sometimes. Although essentially they're pack animals - their natural inclination is to run with the herd. 

"From 90,000 runners each year British Racing has an equine loss rate of less than 0.2%".

One might imagine that if we stopped racing them, then loss rate might be a little higher.  Along with the unemployment and so on.

That said, I am not sure having a race where so many horses fall is justified by history.

"From 90,000 runners each year British Racing has an equine loss rate of less than 0.2%".

Yup, I saw that when I read it.

I'm playing devils advocate as much as anything else, but you specifically said about the Grand National not being designed to kill horses. It isn't designed to, but it does.

Edited by ajthefox

Yup, I saw that when I read it.

I'm playing devils advocate as much as anything else, but you specifically said about the Grand National not being designed to kill horses. It isn't designed to, but it does.

There are plenty of things that aren't designed to kill things, but they do.

People who think they have a god given right to a refund without any proof of purchase "Yes sir, I shall take that £299 telly back not a problem, don't worry about wether or not you actually gave us the money for it in the first place"

I had someone once drink a bottle of wine leaving the sediment in the bottom and claim they didn't like it and ask for a refund...retail really does make me question the human mind sometimes.

• Like 1

Guest MattP

It's still a load of horses running round and round. 

Yeah and football is 22 men kicking a bag of air and boxing is just two thugs smacking each other in the face.

People who think they have a god given right to a refund without any proof of purchase "Yes sir, I shall take that £299 telly back not a problem, don't worry about wether or not you actually gave us the money for it in the first place"

I had someone once drink a bottle of wine leaving the sediment in the bottom and claim they didn't like it and ask for a refund...retail really does make me question the human mind sometimes.

My missus used to work at a supermarket and had a customer buy a short-dated chicken on quick sale, returned it 4 days later saying it smelt funny and wanted her money back

My missus used to work at a supermarket and had a customer buy a short-dated chicken on quick sale, returned it 4 days later saying it smelt funny and wanted her money back

When my brother worked at a supermarket someone nicked a tele and tried to return it for cash the next day lol

When my brother worked at a supermarket someone nicked a tele and tried to return it for cash the next day lol

I had the same thing with a guy who nicked a high-value item and walked back in with it for a refund despite us all watching him on camera doing it. When we searched his bag we found a treasure trove of stock he had helped himself to.

Travellers used to be well famed for taking tv display boxes, placing an old tv in it and bringing it back to claim the money.

Yeah that's quite a common one or the people who bring a receipt back three weeks after they have been shopping and claim they have been charged for items they didn't have. Retail is an unforgiving business at times!

horses are intelligent enough to know if they've won. they get treated like royalty. I'd much rather be a racehorse than a cart horse or a police horse and nobody complains about "cruelty" to them.

horses are intelligent enough to know if they've won. they get treated like royalty. I'd much rather be a racehorse than a cart horse or a police horse and nobody complains about "cruelty" to them.

This. Watch the favourite jump the last in the lead and watch it's reaction. Then tell me it gets no enjoyment from it.