Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On a related 'grinds my gears' note, the ads on the London Underground (but I'm sure they're elsewhere) that suggest you ought be taking some form of medication (cold, flu, whatever) so you don't miss 'that important meeting'. Fvck that, if I'm ill then I'm off work. I'm not infecting others to claim my blue peter badge.

56 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

On a related 'grinds my gears' note, the ads on the London Underground (but I'm sure they're elsewhere) that suggest you ought be taking some form of medication (cold, flu, whatever) so you don't miss 'that important meeting'. Fvck that, if I'm ill then I'm off work. I'm not infecting others to claim my blue peter badge.

You'd think COVID would have shaken this stupidity out of people. 

• Like 3

After being told how flexible our work was going to be from now on we've just had the following email circulated. Massively counter productive as people have worked perfectly fine for 18 months from home with some of our best ever office results. 

Now we're being told we can't work from home if it's a designated office day, even if there is a genuine reason. It goes against everything they were saying a few weeks ago.

'If you can't make it into the office for any reason then you cannot work from home, you must take it as holiday.

We've had a number of people request to work from home today due to fuel issues and I am sorry but this is not acceptable. If you can't get in you must take it as holiday'

17 minutes ago, Rain King said:

After being told how flexible our work was going to be from now on we've just had the following email circulated. Massively counter productive as people have worked perfectly fine for 18 months from home with some of our best ever office results. 

Now we're being told we can't work from home if it's a designated office day, even if there is a genuine reason. It goes against everything they were saying a few weeks ago.

'If you can't make it into the office for any reason then you cannot work from home, you must take it as holiday.

We've had a number of people request to work from home today due to fuel issues and I am sorry but this is not acceptable. If you can't get in you must take it as holiday'

Wow that is shocking decision making from I assume the boss? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Yeah this is horseshit, man. Is it a considerable office space or commercial property? I think a lot of companies are taking this approach because they have long leases on spaces they don't want to sit empty whilst people WFH. 

It just comes across as either an archaic approach to modern (i.e. post pandemic) work culture, or they straight up don't trust their workforce. Neither of these are good. 

45 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Yeah this is horseshit, man. Is it a considerable office space or commercial property? I think a lot of companies are taking this approach because they have long leases on spaces they don't want to sit empty whilst people WFH. 

It just comes across as either an archaic approach to modern (i.e. post pandemic) work culture, or they straight up don't trust their workforce. Neither of these are good. 

Yeah decent size office, fairly new boss (although not new to the company). It was only 2 people who were struggling to get in too.

Definitely archaic approach.

Edited by Rain King

51 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Now that I could boo.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rain King said:

It's people taking the piss that make business think like this, but as said earlier the ones taking the piss should be obvious.

We had a similar message yesterday. One of my colleagues lives in Mansfield and the office is in Atherstone. She was struggling for fuel and was told that she couldn't work from home today, and would have to take it as holiday or unpaid. It's ridiculous. She went in today with not enough to get back. She's gone out at lunch and thankfully found some. As you say it doesn't support the flexible working ideas they put forward. Also it adds to petrol panic as I'm now wondering if and when I'll get some. I have half a tank but it's decent drive for me, so I don't want to get to red before filling up. Also having people perfectly able to work sat at home twiddling their thumbs is ridiculous. Surely for people who have a long drive to work, business can be sensible and make exceptions.

• Like 4

On 28/09/2021 at 12:50, Rain King said:

That is absolute wank.

Our new SRO wants us all to be back in the office full time in spite of the guidance from the Chief Medical Officer because he's working in the office.

Absolutely no need for it as we've all worked really well from him during the pandemic. 

Thankfully my boss is arguing against this FT return and pushing for 1 or 2 days tops (site days are included in your office days).

7 minutes ago, FoxyPV said:

That is absolute wank.

Our new SRO wants us all to be back in the office full time in spite of the guidance from the Chief Medical Officer because he's working in the office.

Absolutely no need for it as we've all worked really well from him during the pandemic. 

Thankfully my boss is arguing against this FT return and pushing for 1 or 2 days tops (site days are included in your office days).

Get an office dog if he's lonely.  Silly attitude.

On 28/09/2021 at 09:51, The Bear said:

Yeah people who are in at all hours for no extra pay and boast about it, I just laugh and get on with it.

I once went to an interview and the interviewers took great pride in telling me they had a “competition” in the office of who could get to work the earliest. I walked out, obviously. ****ing absurd. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Manini said:

I once went to an interview and the interviewers took great pride in telling me they had a “competition” in the office of who could get to work the earliest. I walked out, obviously. ****ing absurd. 

I'd love to hear more stories of people walking out of interviews, probably not worthy of it's own thread though, maybe. I reckon it takes guts, or just to be rank pissed off. 

I've never actually walked out of an interview but I have not gone in for one (having go to their offices), and sat through another thinking 'what a clown' of the guy interviewing and no interest in working for them.

The former; agency told me it was a short walk from the tube. Fortunately, I took my motorbike because it would have been a 50 minute walk from the tube. It's pissing with rain and I get there sodden, having eventually found them (I was on-time btw, I always give myself a time allowance) The receptionist asks me to take a seat, I'm wet and cold and there's no offer of a tea/coffee. They then ask me to fill out this form... all stuff that's on my CV. I ask if it's necessary, I'm only there for an interview, and they say yes, everyone has to do it. I sit back down and think for a moment; the place is too far from home to be a commute I want to do, this needless form filling is something I detest and just smacks to me of an exercise in control, I'm wet and cold and pissed off, there's been no kindness shown towards me. I get back up and tell the receptionist that I'm no longer interested in the position and I leave. What followed was an excellent day out on my motorbike though! I'm thankful for that!!

Second one; the guy interviewing me is on a power trip, praps trying to impress his lady colleague who's sitting in on the interview too. He's tubby, and two shirt buttons have come undone, leaving his ample gut exposed. He's totally unaware. I'm interviewed by a double act with the sight of this hairy belly... it's incredibly difficult to take seriously. I phone the agency afterwards and say 'no thanks'. I didn't want to work in Crick anyway.   

Edit: I have to point out that, yes, I have an 'attitude problem' - whatever one of those might be. In honesty, I probably wouldn't employ me.

Edited by drumbeat

9 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

I'd love to hear more stories of people walking out of interviews, probably not worthy of it's own thread though, maybe. I reckon it takes guts, or just to be rank pissed off. 

I've never actually walked out of an interview but I have not gone in for one (having go to their offices), and sat through another thinking 'what a clown' of the guy interviewing and no interest in working for them.

The former; agency told me it was a short walk from the tube. Fortunately, I took my motorbike because it would have been a 50 minute walk from the tube. It's pissing with rain and I get there sodden, having eventually found them (I was on-time btw, I always give myself a time allowance) The receptionist asks me to take a seat, I'm wet and cold and there's no offer of a tea/coffee. They then ask me to fill out this form... all stuff that's on my CV. I ask if it's necessary, I'm only there for an interview, and they say yes, everyone has to do it. I sit back down and think for a moment; the place is too far from home to be a commute I want to do, this needless form filling is something I detest and just smacks to me of an exercise in control, I'm wet and cold and pissed off, there's been no kindness shown towards me. I get back up and tell the receptionist that I'm no longer interested in the position and I leave. What followed was an excellent day out on my motorbike though! I'm thankful for that!!

Second one; the guy interviewing me is on a power trip, praps trying to impress his lady colleague who's sitting in on the interview too. He's tubby, and two shirt buttons have come undone, leaving his ample gut exposed. He's totally unaware. I'm interviewed by a double act with the sight of this hairy belly... it's incredibly difficult to take seriously. I phone the agency afterwards and say 'no thanks'. I didn't want to work in Crick anyway.   

Edit: I have to point out that, yes, I have an 'attitude problem' - whatever one of those might be. In honesty, I probably wouldn't employ me.

In the industry I work in I’m a bit “desensitised” to interviews anyway to be honest, I’ve learnt that they’re basically just a game of cat and mouse and a lot of the time, if the interviewer is good they’ll try and lead you down the right path anyway - so I don’t get nervous for them etc (not to sound bullish or add any bravado, it’s just my job, really) 

It’s sometimes more beneficial to just stop the interview dead and leave rather than wasting everyone’s time if you’re not interested. I had no desire to work for a boiler room type company who tossed each other off about how many hours they work in a day, I have a life, they clearly didn’t (unfair, they obviously did but not a life I’d like to live) and that scenario clearly worked for them, but not everyone’s cup of tea. It was better to just leave, they were probably itching to get back to their desks to look busy anyway and phone the talking clock to bump their call times up. 

Agree re good interview stories too by the way, they would be great to hear. I have a friend who went from Bradford to London for an interview, when he got there and the receptionist asked if he wanted a coffee, he said yes please, then she audibly sighed. He then went in to the office to meet the big boss and he was sat on a table that he reckons was about 10m x 8m so he was so far away from the bloke, and behind the boss there was a portrait of Margaret Thatcher looking back at him. Like something out of a comedy. 

1 hour ago, drumbeat said:

Not quite the same but when I was 22, I was invited to an interview at ITN's radio network.

They asked: "Why did you apply for this job?"
I replied: "Because you asked me to."
Wasn't the right answer obviously but still got offered the job.

(Turned it down - even though it would've added another third on my salary - and stayed at Radio Leicester for another year)

• Haha 1

I made the mistake of (honestly) saying I wanted the pay check once. It was true, and shouldn't have invalidated me, but you're not supposed to say that are you? And, yes, I get why. It was walkable, I could do it, would have been good st it even (good enough anyway)... was it my 'dream job'? Of course not.  You're supposed to speak like it is though. As I say, I have an attitude problem.

Being investigated by the police due to an ex who displays all the characteristics of a narcissist. Doesn't help that you can't seem to read anything at the moment without articles about women needing to be believed and men being scum. Of course she knows it's a fantastic time to take advantage of the current moral panic. 

On 01/10/2021 at 15:59, LiberalFox said:

Being investigated by the police due to an ex who displays all the characteristics of a narcissist. Doesn't help that you can't seem to read anything at the moment without articles about women needing to be believed and men being scum. Of course she knows it's a fantastic time to take advantage of the current moral panic. 

A mate of a mate is in a similar position.

What makes it worse is that my mate is the housemate of the accused and said the guy is a nice bloke but basically a doormat who gets walked over by most people in his life the poor bloke so he is ripe to being the victim of this type of behaviour. Added to that narcissists are charming and convincing too...

Hope your scenario gets sorted, if it is you. My only advice is to write everything down you can remember or pops into mind no matter how small it is.

Its a real shame there are characters like this in this world, both male and female. Really detracts from the real acts not being believed by the authorities.

On 30/09/2021 at 16:43, when_you're_smiling said:

Parents have changed their BT Sport password but they can’t remember what to. :@

Goes for any account password. Amount of times my dad has clicked forgot password and changed it without telling anyone. Then expects you to remember what it is like I'm some bloody psychic :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 01/10/2021 at 15:59, LiberalFox said:

Unfortunately, there is a long history of the subjugation of women by men. We, as a male populace, are now reaping what others have sown.

I imagine most right thinking men in society aren't misogynistic, sexist, anti-female individuals and I guess that includes you. 

A thousand thundering thrills await me
Facing insurmountable odds greatly
The female of the species is more deadlier than the male

Shock, shock horror, horror, shock, shock horror
I'll shout myself hoarse for your supernatural force

Oh, she deals in witchcraft
And one kiss and I'm zapped, oh

How can heaven hold a place for me
When a girl like you has cast her spell on me?
Oh, how can heaven hold a place for me

Frankenstein and Dracula have nothing on you
Jekyll and Hyde join the back of the queue

For she wants to conquer the world completely
But first she'll conquer me discreetly

Oh, she deals in witchcraft
And one kiss and I'm zapped, oh

How can heaven hold a place for me

Songwriters: Scott Thomas, Griffiths Francis, Parle Andrew Anthony, Fagan James

FWIW. ;) Good luck.