Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

The fact in life that you have to scream the loudest and exaggerate to get an adequate service from individuals, companies or public organisations, regardless of how pressing (or not) your request is.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 2

Large spiders. They give me the creeps. For the third time in a fortnight, I've been sitting on the carpet surrounded by all my electronic stuff during the evening when huge spider has suddenly decided to appear from nowhere. Tonight's episode initially resulted in a failed jam jar and card capturing attempt. The damn thing shot under a chair. So I moved loads of stuff and it eventually reappeared. This time I was quick enough, helped by using a large vase instead. It got taken 4 doors down the road and released. If I'd failed to get it, I'd have been having nightmares tonight. How pathetic am I?

Edited by String fellow

27 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Large spiders. They give me the creeps. For the third time in a fortnight, I've been sitting on the carpet surrounded by all my electronic stuff during the evening when huge spider has suddenly decided to appear from nowhere. Tonight's episode initially resulted in a failed jam jar and card capturing attempt. The damn thing shot under a chair. So I moved loads of stuff and it eventually reappeared. This time I was quick enough, helped by using a large vase instead. It got taken 4 doors down the road and released. If I'd failed to get it, I'd have been having nightmares tonight. How pathetic am I?

Just stamp on them.

I never understand the "I hate spiders, but please don't kill it"

We were out for a meal a few weeks ago and a spider came down from the ceiling. The waitress screamed and had to get the chef out to catch it.

He looked at me and said "I'd just kill the bastard, but we've had customers complain before, even though they're happy to sit there and eat a mixed grill" lol

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Just stamp on them.

I never understand the "I hate spiders, but please don't kill it"

We were out for a meal a few weeks ago and a spider came down from the ceiling. The waitress screamed and had to get the chef out to catch it.

He looked at me and said "I'd just kill the bastard, but we've had customers complain before, even though they're happy to sit there and eat a mixed grill" lol

Eh I'd rather have a spider hanging around than the insects they kill.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jgtuk said:

I love spiders and really don’t understand the fear. 

Until I was around 10, I had no fear of them at all. I’d pick them up and put them outside, no matter what the size.

This is changed when one bit me on the neck and half my head swelled up. I now have an irrational fear of them. It took me years to even touch small ones again. I still won’t touch large house spiders. I’ve no issues with the bizarre looking large ones with thin legs. It’s just large house spiders. 

I find them oddly fascinating though and follow the group British Spider Identification on Facebook.  

Daddy Long Legs though - not an issue at all. The wife, hates them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Until I was around 10, I had no fear of them at all. I’d pick them up and put them outside, no matter what the size.

This is changed when one bit me on the neck and half my head swelled up. I now have an irrational fear of them. It took me years to even touch small ones again. I still won’t touch large house spiders. I’ve no issues with the bizarre looking large ones with thin legs. It’s just large house spiders. 

I find them oddly fascinating though and follow the group British Spider Identification on Facebook.  

Surely that's not irrational? You have a legit reason for it? 

I've been scared of spiders all my life. Hate going near them and feel like I can sense them in the room. There'll be random times where I'll pluck up some courage to take them out but most of the time I'll just spray them til they drop and then sweep them up and bin them. 

Or if they're unlucky enough to be around when the hoover is about... 

29 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I personally have never understood the fear of spiders - they don't really do anything to be scared of (well, providing you're in the UK and you're not really unlucky like @Sly and get bitten by one) 

I am scared of heights in open spaces though (such as scaffolding, things like planes and enclosed heights don't bother me), which I often get called a bitch for lol 

I know arachnophobia is irrational, especially in a grown man like myself. It's perhaps because they are silent, can't really be handled, look unattractive, move quickly and seem to know when you're trying to catch them. Small money spiders and the ones with very small bodies and very thin legs aren't so much of a problem.

Vertigo is probably less irrational. If I'm high up somewhere, it's the probabilty of the structure failing to prevent a fall that determines the level of concern. Having said that, the thought of leaping out of plane with a parachute is a complete no-no. 

Edited by String fellow
  • Like 1

i dont care how sexist ortoxic this sounds is todays world, im sure it would piss someone off merely reading it. but im a man, with a family, i dont get to be scared, i had to grow up , man up, and deal with the spiders many years ago for my mother and sister. the only reason adults are scared of spiders  is because they had someone else in the house to deal with them. they're harmless and being scared of them is ridiculous without good reason

26 minutes ago, Beliall said:

i dont care how sexist ortoxic this sounds is todays world, im sure it would piss someone off merely reading it. but im a man, with a family, i dont get to be scared, i had to grow up , man up, and deal with the spiders many years ago for my mother and sister. the only reason adults are scared of spiders  is because they had someone else in the house to deal with them. they're harmless and being scared of them is ridiculous without good reason

That particular bit isn't doing much for blokes in a world where it's already too hard to reach out for help and too many blokes suffer and die in silence because of it IMO, but I don't see any issue with the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

That particular bit isn't doing much for blokes in a world where it's already too hard to reach out for help and too many blokes suffer and die in silence because of it IMO, but I don't see any issue with the rest.

A bit like when the mrs or kid hears a noise downstairs in the middle of the night so I go down to investigate acting all tough, then as soon as they're out of site I'm secretly sh****ng it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beliall said:

Of course, everyone has the capacity to fear - it's an innate part of the human instinct for survival. But phobias are learnt, irrational responses to certain triggers. Once learnt, they're very difficult to unlearn, despite being ridiculous. As regards your point about dealing with spiders, I too have carried out the same role i.e. dealing with them for other people for many years. However, that hasn't diminished the phobia. If anything, it's made it worse. Clearly your amygdalae and mine have followed different evolutionary paths. However, we would both feel fear if our lives were threatened - that's for certain. 

Edited by String fellow

7 hours ago, Sly said:

I restored in HD 4k the original "Spider-Man Pointing at Spider-Man"  Template - (aka spiderman confusion meme) - [4096*3072]: MemeRestoration

• Haha 1

Are you supposed to be able to read text messages shown on phones on tele and films? Because I need my glasses to read the buggers on my own phone, so I don't stand a chance when they're on the tele! Always bugs me as I don't know if it's important to the plot etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

Of course, everyone has the capacity to fear - it's an innate part of the human instinct for survival. But phobias are learnt, irrational responses to certain triggers. Once learnt, they're very difficult to unlearn, despite being ridiculous. As regards your point about dealing with spiders, I too have carried out the same role i.e. dealing with them for other people for many years. However, that hasn't diminished the phobia. If anything, it's made it worse. Clearly your amygdalae and mine have followed different evolutionary paths. However, we would both feel fear if our lives were threatened - that's for certain. 

Someone explained the other day on the radio, how his child had no fear whatsoever of spiders until the teacher in his class screamed when she saw one. The whole class reacted to this - not surprisingly - and now he's scared of them.

3 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Someone explained the other day on the radio, how his child had no fear whatsoever of spiders until the teacher in his class screamed when she saw one. The whole class reacted to this - not surprisingly - and now he's scared of them.

The teacher is surley not in the wrong here though, they are entitled to their own phobia?