Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

“Grinds my gears” is a bit strong, but football fans taking the piss out of small away followings, that have probably never attended an away game in their life. 

No doubt a picture of our away end will surface tonight and you’ll get a load of weirdos trying to take the piss, without a clue of how much effort it takes. 

13 hours ago, The Bear said:

Stuff like that you should be able to be charged with deliberately wasting authorities time and made to do community service. 

In a weird way, though, I'd argue its close to a symptom of mental illness, just not the one they're going for. 

There's something very sad about the ever escalating impact of social media on each generation. 

Both young men and women being impacted in different ways by the overwhelming narcisicim of it all. 

What pressures are on these girls that they're desperate enough for attention and connection to do this? On the surface, it absolutely is awful - both in being extremely cringeworthy and quite frankly offensive to the people who genuinely have these disorders. But I'll be honest, I'm not without sympathy. 

I feel similarly about another subreddit that my missus loves and that's r/instagramreality which is full of wannabe influencers' "hilarious" photoshop botch jobs. I so genuinely laugh at the absurdity of some of them but, I'll be honest, that mirth is quickly replaced by an overwhelming sadness when that "oh..." moment kicks in. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

“Grinds my gears” is a bit strong, but football fans taking the piss out of small away followings, that have probably never attended an away game in their life. 

No doubt a picture of our away end will surface tonight and you’ll get a load of weirdos trying to take the piss, without a clue of how much effort it takes. 

90% of football fans have extremely weak banter anyway to be honest and its usually extremely hypocritical. 

Almost all away fans that turn up and sing is this a library, your support is shit, shall we sing a song for you etc - their home grounds are also fvcking silent. 

I've said it before but "where were you when you were shit" is especially dumb. Literally THE season before we won the league, we were rock bottom of it for six months and still had a full ground. What point do they think they're making? And it's not even like it's triggering or upsetting, we just shrug like "ummm, we were here, watching Richie De Laet lose his man again, where were you?" 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Corky said:

Getting absolutely soaked to the skin on the way to work and then having to sit in wet clothes for the next nine hours until I get home.

If only someone would invent a waterproof coat...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Getting absolutely soaked to the skin on the way to work and then having to sit in wet clothes for the next nine hours until I get home.

When I uses to catch the bus and walk to work, or in one previous job when the car park was a good 5 minute walk from the front door, I'd always take an umbrella or have one in the car. Not because of vanity and not wanted to mess up the hair I used to have, but because I didn't want to sit in wet clothes all day, my hair dripping all over my paperwork.

Buy an umbrella, its not a sign of weakness or vanity, its just sensible.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

When I uses to catch the bus and walk to work, or in one previous job when the car park was a good 5 minute walk from the front door, I'd always take an umbrella or have one in the car. Not because of vanity and not wanted to mess up the hair I used to have, but because I didn't want to sit in wet clothes all day, my hair dripping all over my paperwork.

Buy an umbrella, its not a sign of weakness or vanity, its just sensible.

I had one, it made absolutely no difference in the deluge that I was in.

14 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

He's got a point. 

I mean, Susan Boyle deserved to win it.

Ashley Banjo and that Perry kid are on everything now and it's just unbearable. 

Completely ruined Dancing On Ice for me.

did she get the most votes?

• Like 3

The new John Lewis advert. The boy trashes his own home in the name of being fabulous. Mum watches unbothered as he wipes lippy on the wall, breaks ornaments and chucks glitter everywhere.

I'd be fuming, having had my nieces stay with me many times over the years, I know what an absolute bitch it is to hoover up ****ing glitter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Hot drinks made with a reboiled kettle of water.  Minging.

Boil as much water as you need, then start afresh the next time you make a drink.  For the love of God don't boil the same water again

Exactly why I have a hot water dispenser. Only boils what you need as you use it. 

Edited by The Bear

24 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Hot drinks made with a reboiled kettle of water.  Minging.

Boil as much water as you need, then start afresh the next time you make a drink.  For the love of God don't boil the same water again

ive done that my entire life, never been told otherwise, is it better then?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beliall said:

ive done that my entire life, never been told otherwise, is it better then?

It's only relatively recently I realised what was going on.  I was always intrigued, especially at work, why sometimes what are, let's face it, quite easy drinks to make, were sometimes much nicer than others, and sometimes borderline undrinkable.

I had the lightbulb moment (like I'm Einstein or something) when I was wondering why when you make formula for babies it says to never re-boil the water, because I didn't see why that would matter. The reason is apparently, the more you boil water, more and more of the actual water evaporates, leaving behind all the impurities in the water, dissolved minerals and whatnot, and then I realised that that was what you can taste in the minging hot drinks.  It was worst at work as they did this stupid environmentally unfriendly thing where if you made yourself a brew, you were encouraged to use a full kettle even if you weren't making drinks for anyone else, so if someone else turned up wanting a drink there'd be some water left that wasn't cold

25 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They're great aren't they?  We've got one at work that cost a small fortune, but I cannot see what makes it different to the ones you'd have at home

They hold bigger volumes at temperature ready to go and the flow is a lot stronger/faster.

21 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's only relatively recently I realised what was going on.  I was always intrigued, especially at work, why sometimes what are, let's face it, quite easy drinks to make, were sometimes much nicer than others, and sometimes borderline undrinkable.

I had the lightbulb moment (like I'm Einstein or something) when I was wondering why when you make formula for babies it says to never re-boil the water, because I didn't see why that would matter. The reason is apparently, the more you boil water, more and more of the actual water evaporates, leaving behind all the impurities in the water, dissolved minerals and whatnot, and then I realised that that was what you can taste in the minging hot drinks.  It was worst at work as they did this stupid environmentally unfriendly thing where if you made yourself a brew, you were encouraged to use a full kettle even if you weren't making drinks for anyone else, so if someone else turned up wanting a drink there'd be some water left that wasn't cold

makes sense to me, ill try it tomorrow