Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

15 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Before we leave the hot drink thing well alone for a bit, can I just say that my experiment of substituting oat milk for cow's milk has not gone well.

On Weetabix, it's fine but in a coffee, it's a big NO THANK YOU from me

I agree , so I started making my own and I acually prefer it to cow's milk.

Dead simple too:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/oat-milk

2 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

The amount and content of adverts on tv. 

on Tuesday my power supply unit died in my pc and until the new one arrives, I’m watching tv, which is something I haven’t done in years. 

a 40 odd min show is dragged out into an hours viewing with 1/3 of it bloody adverts. Not only that the adverts are mostly horrific and upsetting. I do get that these charities need money for clean water in Africa or Donkeys abused in Egypt but it’s actually upsetting to watch. If I had the money I would give to the majority of them but I don’t so I have to feel bad for not doing anything and for what? The entertainment of watching the show. 🥲

Yet another aspect of rampant Americanisation. I once attempted to watch Werner Herzog's 'The Grizzly Man' on TV in hotel in California. It was punctuated by so many advertisement breaks that given the retention capacity of the American audience, Discovery Channel felt the need to recap the previous segment. This meant that the entire film advanced with glacial slowness and felt like a geological epoch to complete. 

Talking of which, perusing the world food aisle in the supermarket I noticed with much amusement that there's an American section. In amongst the sugared dried fruit, assorted Hershey's products and all manner of synthetic breakfast cereals I spotted some Hostess Twinkies. These were always advertised in the Marvel and DC comics I grew up with along with Charles Atlas bullworkers, assorted bubble gums and pages of self defence courses targeting nerds like myself that tended to have a juvenile preoccupation with superheroes.

MartialArts05.jpg.a3fd0db3efe60455c75834d7725a8463.jpg

I was always fascinated by the X-Ray Specs and the possibility of adapting their use for the very nubile Lisa Taylor in form 1C. Or the 'sea monkeys' - what actually were they? Were they from another planet?

0socvaradsus1.jpg.af75027c4d985f1ec6ea06d9cd19dbd7.jpg

Equally, the Hostess Twinkies...what the ****? What did they consist of? I wanted some. Which is precisely why I bought a box today. First off, they are depicted as battenberg proportions on the packet. Turns out, they make a Mars 'fun size', a 'Celebration' or a 'Mini Hero' look like a house brick in comparison. Which is just as well given that each one at 135 calories each contains 37 ingredients, none of which sound remotely like food. High fructose corn syrup, water, and partially hydrogenated oil and animal shortening - beef fat. In other words, wheat, sugar, sugar, even more sugar, water, and trans fat. As if too much sugar (just one Twinkie contains an astonishing 16.5 grams of it) wasn't enough of a concern - leading to a higher risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease - fructose consumption is the one of the quickest ways to reduce your liver into a slobbering slab of fat. For something that is little more than a bland sponge cake and a glob of cream that's a death sentence in a box. What in Christ's name is this shite doing on a supermarket shelf in 2021? It isn't on mine, it's straight in the bin.

And all because of an advertisement in a Silver Surfer comic I read when I was ten. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Yet another aspect of rampant Americanisation. I once attempted to watch Werner Herzog's 'The Grizzly Man' on TV in hotel in California. It was punctuated by so many advertisement breaks that given the retention capacity of the American audience, Discovery Channel felt the need to recap the previous segment. This meant that the entire film advanced with glacial slowness and felt like a geological epoch to complete. 

Talking of which, perusing the world food aisle in the supermarket I noticed with much amusement that there's an American section. In amongst the sugared dried fruit, assorted Hershey's products and all manner of synthetic breakfast cereals I spotted some Hostess Twinkies. These were always advertised in the Marvel and DC comics I grew up with along with Charles Atlas bullworkers, assorted bubble gums and pages of self defence courses targeting nerds like myself that tended to have a juvenile preoccupation with superheroes.

I was always fascinated by the X-Ray Specs and the possibility of adapting their use for the very nubile Lisa Taylor in form 1C. Or the 'sea monkeys' - what actually were they? Were they from another planet?

Equally, the Hostess Twinkies...what the ****? What did they consist of? I wanted some. Which is precisely why I bought a box today. First off, they are depicted as battenberg proportions on the packet. Turns out, they make a Mars 'fun size', a 'Celebration' or a 'Mini Hero' look like a house brick in comparison. Which is just as well given that each one at 135 calories each contains 37 ingredients, none of which sound remotely like food. High fructose corn syrup, water, and partially hydrogenated oil and animal shortening - beef fat. In other words, wheat, sugar, sugar, even more sugar, water, and trans fat. As if too much sugar (just one Twinkie contains an astonishing 16.5 grams of it) wasn't enough of a concern - leading to a higher risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease - fructose consumption is the one of the quickest ways to reduce your liver into a slobbering slab of fat. For something that is little more than a bland sponge cake and a glob of cream that's a death sentence in a box. What in Christ's name is this shite doing on a supermarket shelf in 2021? It isn't on mine, it's straight in the bin.

And all because of an advertisement in a Silver Surfer comic I read when I was ten. 

That made me smile. I try to stay away from shit products that contain anything sugar, fructose hydro fat related now days but back in the day would have jumped at buying them (Also being a DC/Marvel nerd) 

I did once but some sea monkeys in a packet and grew them in a fish bowl, but damn when they started turning into miniature aliens I got scared and buried them in the garden. Felt so bad about killing them had nightmares for weeks. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Dragging the thread back to tea for a moment: folk who put the milk in with the tea bag then add the water.

If there is one crime capital punishment should be reinstated for, it's that.

I'd be first on the block then. Much prefer it that way over the other way as it tastes smoother and not as bitter. 

As long as you take your time pouring it,  keeping the bag just over the water/milk as you fill up then it's fine. Still strong enough to look like normal. 

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

I'd be first on the block then. Much prefer it that way over the other way as it tastes smoother and not as bitter. 

As long as you take your time pouring it,  keeping the bag just over the water/milk as you fill up then it's fine. Still strong enough to look like normal. 

Mmmm, I might commute your sentence to just life imprisonment.

31 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

That made me smile. I try to stay away from shit products that contain anything sugar, fructose hydro fat related now days but back in the day would have jumped at buying them (Also being a DC/Marvel nerd) 

I did once but some sea monkeys in a packet and grew them in a fish bowl, but damn when they started turning into miniature aliens I got scared and buried them in the garden. Felt so bad about killing them had nightmares for weeks. 

Well I retrieved my Twinkies from the bin because I recalled that they have very useful properties when snaring roaming evil Egyptian Mummies - assuming your neighbourhood is plagued by them at night...

insert-a.jpg.af42631208154391c6115664c9cb4985.jpg

FT should embed stuff like this in the coronavirus thread given the amount of gullible members on here that believe any shit that they read on the internet. Perhaps we should be advertising ivermectin on there?...

f37f0568d7096ac38d1270d6ce78f8a3.thumb.jpg.211e98003ec4c9fdc411fbbdf9ac5266.jpg

comic-ad-page.thumb.jpg.ac2b92c4677f3a89a3f2bfdc4d12a1cc.jpg

Looking back, this was quite disturbing stuff aimed at impressionable kids...

xray_5.thumb.jpg.1d6cebd67d0072830838c48575f158ae.jpg

img-4.thumb.jpg.b909cc751d9064378c199ad055231829.jpg

Edited by Line-X
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, MPH said:

If there is any doubt as to the Britishness of Foxestalk, the doubt is swept away with an in depth discussion on tea making and the correct temperature and the ‘ twice boil theory’

proud of you guys! 

Ohh gutted I missed this. I know all there is to know about tea.

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Agreed.

I used to be on the "anyone who puts the milk in first is a heathen" side, but was converted by a colleague a few years ago.

Same with making instant coffee - even if I'm making black coffee, I'll put some cold water on the beans first to stop them tasting so burnt. 

A little cold water/milk on the teabag/coffee beans before you put the hot water makes it taste so much better for me. So much less burnt and bitter.

Once you change to milk/cold water first, you never go back and just see the side who always call you heathens as stuckist luddites who are only doing it that way because they're told that's the way you're supposed to do it. ;)

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Before we leave the hot drink thing well alone for a bit, can I just say that my experiment of substituting oat milk for cow's milk has not gone well.

On Weetabix, it's fine but in a coffee, it's a big NO THANK YOU from me

Go naked, then.

Never seen the point of milk in coffee - dilutes the flavour.

G'wan, wean yourself off the nasty cows milk. 

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Well I retrieved my Twinkies from the bin because I recalled that they have very useful properties when snaring roaming evil Egyptian Mummies - assuming your neighbourhood is plagued by them at night...

insert-a.jpg.af42631208154391c6115664c9cb4985.jpg

FT should embed stuff like this in the coronavirus thread given the amount of gullible members on here that believe any shit that they read on the internet. Perhaps we should be advertising ivermectin on there?...

f37f0568d7096ac38d1270d6ce78f8a3.thumb.jpg.211e98003ec4c9fdc411fbbdf9ac5266.jpg

comic-ad-page.thumb.jpg.ac2b92c4677f3a89a3f2bfdc4d12a1cc.jpg

Looking back, this was quite disturbing stuff aimed at impressionable kids...

xray_5.thumb.jpg.1d6cebd67d0072830838c48575f158ae.jpg

img-4.thumb.jpg.b909cc751d9064378c199ad055231829.jpg

Who remembers Bazooka Joe bubble gum? It had a slip inside the packet with these type of things. You had to include several wrappers and a cheque for 99c or something to get the goodies. 

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

Sounds like the taste of freedom right there to me

On the milk in tea first thing, allow me to vindicate the heathens:  I, too, thought it was barbarism of the highest order until just a few days ago when I read that the reason some people do it is to stop getting that scummy film that inevitably forms on top of the drink in hard water areas.  Living somewhere with water that's harder than the cast of a Guy Ritchie film I ran a little test and it genuinely does work.  As alluded to previously it does have ramifications on brew strength but I find double bagging solves that issue.  So yeah, in some cases it's genuinely the secret to making a good brew.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Go naked, then.

Never seen the point of milk in coffee - dilutes the flavour.

G'wan, wean yourself off the nasty cows milk. 

Personally I think it adds to flavor. Like a cherry on a cake! ( made with cows milk).

• Like 1