Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Rise in energy prices :mad:

My supplier was one of the small providers who didn't survive the recent crash.

As a result my annual bill for dual fuel is now over £6000

It was around £4000 2 years ago and slowly rose to around £5000 until the recent problems which resulted in moving to Eon and a prospective bill of £500+ pcm

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

Rise in energy prices :mad:

My supplier was one of the small providers who didn't survive the recent crash.

As a result my annual bill for dual fuel is now over £6000

It was around £4000 2 years ago and slowly rose to around £5000 until the recent problems which resulted in moving to Eon and a prospective bill of £500+ pcm

Jesus Christ!

Where do you live, Demontfort Hall?

Seemingly randomly imposed freight charges, brokerage accompanying duty invoiced by UPS on a ****ing 3 kilo package from Germany. This robbery totals a third of the value of the goods themselves. Delivery driver wouldn't hand over the package without payment which I refused so took it away. Called the customer service line at 16.00 - navigated the bullshit recorded minefield to be told the office was closed. This is tantamount to bribery/extortion and borderline theft. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Nah, can't be, Demont has a roof.

Insulate Britain ought to have a permanent encampment outside jgtuk's place.

Got plenty of roof insulation, just the listing rules mean I have lots of original Georgian/Victorian box sash windows which can't be double glazed.

I have three open fires but the rest of the house is reliant on a commercial gas boiler running 32 radiaors.

9 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Got plenty of roof insulation, just the listing rules mean I have lots of original Georgian/Victorian box sash windows which can't be double glazed.

I have three open fires but the rest of the house is reliant on a commercial gas boiler running 32 radiaors.

Strewth! That's a lot of radiators.

Re your windows: with the climate emergency, you would imagine they would relax some of the restrictions on listed buildings so they can be brought up to spec somewhat. All the protection and listed status will count for nothing if such buildings suffer regular flooding or other extreme weather threatening the structure.

49 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Strewth! That's a lot of radiators.

Re your windows: with the climate emergency, you would imagine they would relax some of the restrictions on listed buildings so they can be brought up to spec somewhat. All the protection and listed status will count for nothing if such buildings suffer regular flooding or other extreme weather threatening the structure.

The problem with the windows is that several of them are architecturally and historically important, for example this one is a curved bay with 40 panes and internal cantilever shutters so there’s no way they will ever let it be replaced with anything modern. The glass is curved so ridiculously expensive to replace, even with standard 4mm panes.

C844FF2A-30A4-4DBF-B432-A678CB48CC04.jpeg

Just now, jgtuk said:

The problem with the windows is that several of them are architecturally and historically important, for example this one is a curved bay with 40 panes and internal cantilever shutters so there’s no way they will ever let it be replaced with anything modern. The glass is curved so ridiculously expensive to replace, even with standard 4mm panes.

That's beautiful :wub:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I used to live in a draughty house and I used this.

As it's not permanent, would it get round the regulations?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

I used to live in a draughty house and I used this.

As it's not permanent, would it get round the regulations?

I’ve seen this before and it seems to work well. My wife’s not keen on trying anything like this though as it’s sometimes visible. We have a lot of windows too, all with lots of glass (the smallest is six over six) so would be fiddly to fit. I’ve rebuilt each frame over the last ten years so they’re all in good condition but the glass is handmade, anything from 1mm to 4mm thick  and we can’t reglaze unless they break. 

13 hours ago, Royston. said:

Maybe his missus likes the heating on all night?

This I an issue at mine, surely you turn the heating off when you're warm in bed and set the timer to come on when you get up in the morning??

Heating controlled by timer so only on about 4 hrs per day in winter, just water in summer. All radiators have TRV's fitted and I service boiler annually. Also have a Magnaclean fitted and that gets cleaned monthly by me.

15 hours ago, jgtuk said:

What? Are you actually a Duke?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Very very minor gear grind.

Burgers sold in restaurants that are piled so high that they have to be pierced with a wooden stake, what was once considered connivence food has been turned into something impossible to pick up and eat, too big for even the biggest mouth and collapse when the stake is withdrawn. 
Oh and chips brought out in a tiny basket also annoys me just ever so slightly 

So true. A good burger is a great thing, but it should be pick-upable and you shouldn’t need to have a shower after eating it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blarmy said:

So true. A good burger is a great thing, but it should be pick-upable and you shouldn’t need to have a shower after eating it. 

Perhaps not such a great thing for the poor cow that was murdered in order to provide said burger.

https://mercyforanimals.org/blog/11-facts-you-probably-didnt-know-about-burgers/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Burgers are wayyy too thick now as well. You spend a good 2 mins chewing each bite because there's so much meat. 

Even McDonald's are at it with the double Big Mac, triple cheeseburger, double 1/4 pounder. I tried the latter last week and could barely finish it. 

It ruins that delicate ratio of bun-meat-condiments. Makes them taste terrible. A 1cm thick patty is perfect IMO. 

The best burgers I had were a local Italian guy who had a stall in town when I was young. They were cheap thin burgers but the arrangement of it was superb and it all the elements worked together in perfect harmony. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1