Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Very very minor gear grind.

Burgers sold in restaurants that are piled so high that they have to be pierced with a wooden stake, what was once considered connivence food has been turned into something impossible to pick up and eat, too big for even the biggest mouth and collapse when the stake is withdrawn. 
Oh and chips brought out in a tiny basket also annoys me just ever so slightly 

You need a 'deconstructed' burger.

• Haha 1

Just now, Webbo said:

The Lord Mayor's Show. I've nothing against tradition, pomp or pageantry if people want to go and see it, more power to them, but why do the BBC assume the rest of us are interested? It's on every year. 

I don't watch it and I can't be doing with it, but you could say the same about almost everything on TV.

Replace "Lord Mayor's show" with "Snooker World Championships" "Queens Speech" "Doctor Who" etc. The BBC is for us all, and will show stuff you like and stuff you don't like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I don't watch it and I can't be doing with it, but you could say the same about almost everything on TV.

Replace "Lord Mayor's show" with "Snooker World Championships" "Queens Speech" "Doctor Who" etc. The BBC is for us all, and will show stuff you like and stuff you don't like.

It's people walking through the streets with commentary. 

Most cities have parades at some time but the BBC don't cover them. 

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It's people walking through the streets with commentary. 

Most cities have parades at some time but the BBC don't cover them. 

The snooker world championships is people pushing balls round a table, people do that in the pub every weekend and they don't show that.

See how the argument falls down? 

It's 2 hours or so a year, if you don't like it, turn it off. I couldn't even tell you what they usually show on a Saturday morning, repeats of cooking shows? What are you missing out on?

• Like 1

Just now, Facecloth said:

The snooker world championships is people pushing balls round a table, people do that in the pub every weekend and they don't show that.

See how the argument falls down? 

It's 2 hours or so a year, if you don't like it, turn it off. I couldn't even tell you what they usually show on a Saturday morning, repeats of cooking shows? What are you missing out on?

I agree about the snooker, it's of no interest to me, but there are some people who enjoy it. 

Who, outside of London at least, is interested in the Lord Mayor's Show? 

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I agree about the snooker, it's of no interest to me, but there are some people who enjoy it. 

Who, outside of London at least, is interested in the Lord Mayor's Show? 

2 million people watch it at home apparently. For Saturday morning day time tv, I reckon that's a decent numbers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

The Lord Mayor's Show. I've nothing against tradition, pomp or pageantry if people want to go and see it, more power to them, but why do the BBC assume the rest of us are interested? It's on every year. 

It's not even got the REAL lord mayor (Sadiq khan).

This is for the City Lord Mayor who is in charge of the financial district.

If only the residents knew the tax payers are paying for the pomp and tradition for an area that accumulated billions, yet the taxpayers of London are paying for it!!!

Must be the only city with 2 Lord Mayors!!!

Edited by Raj
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Raj said:

It's not even girl the REAL lord mayor (Sadiq khan).

This is for the City Lord Mayircehis in charge of the financial district.

If only the residents knew the tax payers are paying for the pomp and tradition for an area that accumulated billions, yet the taxpayers of London are paying for it!!!

Must be the only city with 2 Lord Mayors!!!

Technically, Sadiq Khan is the Mayor, not the Lord Mayor. They’re different things.

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/about-us/about-the-city-of-london-corporation/lord-mayor/lord-mayor-mayor-of-london

Essentially, as I understand it, the Mayor is an elected position with some administrative power, while the Lord Mayor is more of an honorary/ceremonial title - same as in Leicester.

10 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Technically, Sadiq Khan is the Mayor, not the Lord Mayor. They’re different things.

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/about-us/about-the-city-of-london-corporation/lord-mayor/lord-mayor-mayor-of-london

Essentially, as I understand it, the Mayor is an elected position with some administrative power, while the Lord Mayor is more of an honorary/ceremonial title - same as in Leicester.

Stand corrected.

Ta

Looking at right-wing Twitter regarding the agreement at COP26. So much denial of science and what needs to be done based on nothing more than self-interest.

I just hope that should the kak hit the fan, history remembers them as responsible and blames them - if indeed anyone is left to record history afterwards.

• Like 3

On 08/11/2021 at 22:33, Carl the Llama said:

Sitting on the high street eating a foot-long sausage (contain yourselves) and there's this busker with his electric violin and a boombox playing the same 2/3 minute loop of music on repeat, it's been at least 4 repetitions since I've been sat here.

No busker should be allowed electric backing or assistance.. full stop! ..end of!

if you want to play an electric guitar, find a band and a pub, if you want a microphone to carry your voice, get voice training or fvck right off. You are busking, whatever you perform needs only to reach at best 50-100 people... you are not on the main stage at glasto. :mad:

Theres a guy in the town mall that wheels a piano into town, i mean what an effort....he just  plays that, no bass line, no drum beat...guy on piano...beautiful. 50 metres away, young person playing up a storm on a sax... love it. They dont impact each other, they dont deafen shoppers or destroy eardrums with shitty exhausted amps.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Looking at right-wing Twitter regarding the agreement at COP26. So much denial of science and what needs to be done based on nothing more than self-interest.

I just hope that should the kak hit the fan, history remembers them as responsible and blames them - if indeed anyone is left to record history afterwards.

Everything related to COP26 and climate change goes well beyond grinding my gears :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Parafox said:

It grinds my gears too but how else can they accommodate these matches? Just gotta put up with it, even though it frustratingly, interrupts domestic league games 

I agree, I do think they should scrap the one that comes like 2 weeks in to the season though in September.

Rather than have 3 breaks of 2 games in Sep/Oct/Nov, maybe just have 2 breaks of 3 games in Oct/Nov, teams would have to use more of their squads as well and might make the qualifiers a bit more exciting.

2 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

People who put there xmas tree up in November.

Honest question, when is the right time to put it up and then also take down? Would 1 month before (ie nov 25th be okay) or Dec 1 minimum?

I know people who take it down on December 26th, others who take it down first week of January or later etc. 

Never really put much thought into it but generally I do prefer to wait until early December.

2 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Honest question, when is the right time to put it up and then also take down? Would 1 month before (ie nov 25th be okay) or Dec 1 minimum?

I know people who take it down on December 26th, others who take it down first week of January or later etc. 

Never really put much thought into it but generally I do prefer to wait until early December.

I don't know if there is a right answer to this.

Personally, whilst the kids are at home, we tend to agree on putting the tree up on the first weekend of December, at the earliest, then taking it down on 2nd January.

When the kids leave home, I honestly don't think we'll bother at all.