Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Just now, tom27111 said:

I don't know if there is a right answer to this.

Personally, whilst the kids are at home, we tend to agree on putting the tree up on the first weekend of December, at the earliest, then taking it down on 2nd January.

When the kids leave home, I honestly don't think we'll bother at all.

I approve of this timeline. Maybe stretch it to the first weekend in january provided its not Jan1. I will not take a tree down during my evening of a work week lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Honest question, when is the right time to put it up and then also take down? Would 1 month before (ie nov 25th be okay) or Dec 1 minimum?

I know people who take it down on December 26th, others who take it down first week of January or later etc. 

Never really put much thought into it but generally I do prefer to wait until early December.

Not before the month of December IMO, some people have put there's up at the beginning of November which i find a little disrespectful for the remembrance. Personally were 12 days before and bring them down 2/3 January just before returning to work. 

Clickbait.

I'm certain I'll miss the end of the world when it happens, as I've become immune, and therefore ignore, sensationalist news items

Dunno how it happened but I'm getting loads of 'news' feeds from the Daily Express. The most common one is: Met office warns of arctic blast over Britain. I've had that one several times for the last few months. FFS, it's been mild outside.

Also, had two apocalyptic ones this last week or so. One was NASA warning of a massive asteroid heading our way but that's nothing, astronomers have spotted an expanding black hole that could consume us all.

Never click on them but the bloody endless stream of this dribble grinds.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Clickbait.

I'm certain I'll miss the end of the world when it happens, as I've become immune, and therefore ignore, sensationalist news items

Dunno how it happened but I'm getting loads of 'news' feeds from the Daily Express. The most common one is: Met office warns of arctic blast over Britain. I've had that one several times for the last few months. FFS, it's been mild outside.

Also, had two apocalyptic ones this last week or so. One was NASA warning of a massive asteroid heading our way but that's nothing, astronomers have spotted an expanding black hole that could consume us all.

without clickbait i would never have known about the secret 5th side of the cheesegrater

11 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Clickbait.

I keep getting this and I was getting HEATWAVE ones during August and September too. I hate that ****ing rag.

On 16/11/2021 at 00:26, Jattdogg said:

Honest question, when is the right time to put it up and then also take down? Would 1 month before (ie nov 25th be okay) or Dec 1 minimum?

I know people who take it down on December 26th, others who take it down first week of January or later etc. 

Never really put much thought into it but generally I do prefer to wait until early December.

For me the tree is for the month of December. Goes up no sooner than the 1st Dec and comes down on the 1st Jan. 

• Like 2

On 16/11/2021 at 00:26, Jattdogg said:

Up roughly a week before christmas (christmas eve if you’re proper old skool), down on twelfth night. Those are the right times. Anything else is wrong.

Some are more wrong than others, mind. Up in November is an abomination, as is down on boxing day.

But as long as you wait until at least the start of December to put stuff up, and then until at least past 1st Jan to take it down (making sure it doesn’t stay up past twelfth night and thus curse your household with bad luck for the whole year), it’s entirely up to you and I for one won’t be criticising you.

13 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Hearing everyone at work, friends etc. talk about Xmas when you know your Xmas is gonna be shit. Don't blame them being excited, just jealous. 

Related to this, colleagues at work that make a point of mentioning and talking about the fact that they're going on holiday for the week or two leading up to it. Absolutely beyond me why people do it.

Had to drive into London again to do a bit of work - I passed a small sign on the opposite side of the road saying that I was now entering the ULEZ zone. Had a bus been coming in the opposite direction I would probably have missed the sign. 

Now I live reasonably close and I know that the ULEZ has recently been expanded, but I'm guessing that TfL are banking on loads of people not being aware of it. 

The daily charge is £12.50. The fine, if you fail to pay, is £160. 

How the fvck can a fine so ridiculously disproportionate be legal?  

Last years figures were that around a million fines had been issued. There will be many multiples of this now with the expanded zone and the discrete signage. 

The additional cameras required to police the expanded area cost £130 million. £130 million - that's mad. 

Edited by Milo

On 17/11/2021 at 12:54, pmcla26 said:

Yep, this winds me up too. Had it happen recently when I was having a discussion where we were agreeing hours I would cover in a department at work due to staff shortages, I said to my colleague I was agreeing this with "I'll be seeing a lot more of you in the next couple weeks, then" and they replied "no you won't, I'm going on holiday!" - so I'm doing your work on top of my own, so that you can go away whilst other's in your area of work are already off? Obviously, it's more the powers that be's fault for allowing them to take annual leave when already short staffed, but no need to gloat about it if I'm gonna be tying up all your loose ends. 

Yup, every year its the same, some seem to get favourable treatment at Christmas compared to others, some expect loads of time off despite not even celebrating Christmas. Meanwhile I'm expected to just do the work of about 4 people for the entirety of December. I've learnt now, over the past couple of years, to just do **** all in December. I'm one person, I'll do one person's work thanks, and if it all goes to shit that's not my problems, it's management's problem for not being able to implement the annual leave policy properly. 

Except it doesn't work like that does it, because despite innumerable lazy ***** that seems to not be arsed (year round) about doing their fair share, the slightest sign of work Pilling up grates on me so much I inevitably end up doing it just to ease the stress, despite it being stressful as **** doing it. Vicious cycle. And then people wonder why every other year I end up having a break down and going off on the sick for 6 weeks or so (on the advice of my mental health worker). I must have MUG tattooed on my forehead. Always kills me knowing some of these people are getting paid the same wage as me for doing about 30% of the same workload. willy pullers. Work is wank. Who invented work and thought that spending 55 years of your life spending the majority of it doing something you hate just to feed yourself was a good idea? ****ing shit. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

The key is to stop giving a **** about other people or the company. You're there to do YOUR job, no-one else's. The company don't give a shit about you obviously as long as the work's getting done. Yeah sometimes you help out and take up a bit of slack but that's not to be taken for granted just because they've allowed people off on holiday. 

If I thought that was happening to me I'd go to whoever's in charge and tell them you're not doing everyone else's work for them and it's up to them to adequately staff the place. They should be aware of your mental health and the reasons why, and if necessary you'll have no hesitation but to go on the sick immediately with work related stress rather than burn yourself out. Then there'll be no-one to do the work. 

The last thing HR will want is possible liability for mental health issues. 

Companies don't give a shit about you..."yeah, but the boss is sound"

They'd replace you in a heartbeat if you died right now and you'd be an afterthought. 

• Like 3

On 12/11/2021 at 19:52, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Very very minor gear grind.

Burgers sold in restaurants that are piled so high that they have to be pierced with a wooden stake, what was once considered connivence food has been turned into something impossible to pick up and eat, too big for even the biggest mouth and collapse when the stake is withdrawn. 
Oh and chips brought out in a tiny basket also annoys me just ever so slightly 

I always ask Why are the Chips in prison..

• Haha 1

On 18/11/2021 at 19:30, SecretPro said:

Yup, every year its the same, some seem to get favourable treatment at Christmas compared to others, some expect loads of time off despite not even celebrating Christmas. Meanwhile I'm expected to just do the work of about 4 people for the entirety of December. I've learnt now, over the past couple of years, to just do **** all in December. I'm one person, I'll do one person's work thanks, and if it all goes to shit that's not my problems, it's management's problem for not being able to implement the annual leave policy properly. 

Except it doesn't work like that does it, because despite innumerable lazy ***** that seems to not be arsed (year round) about doing their fair share, the slightest sign of work Pilling up grates on me so much I inevitably end up doing it just to ease the stress, despite it being stressful as **** doing it. Vicious cycle. And then people wonder why every other year I end up having a break down and going off on the sick for 6 weeks or so (on the advice of my mental health worker). I must have MUG tattooed on my forehead. Always kills me knowing some of these people are getting paid the same wage as me for doing about 30% of the same workload. willy pullers. Work is wank. Who invented work and thought that spending 55 years of your life spending the majority of it doing something you hate just to feed yourself was a good idea? ****ing shit. 

No point. Just leave and find yourself an company no better time than the present, not worth the stress. Life's too short to moan about things you cannot control.

• Like 2

Food places that force to to accept their Christmas menu

Case in point wife's birthday early December and she wants to go Miller & Carter for a steak, went to book online and you can only select the three course xmas menu. No thanks only wanted a steak (which is expensive enough), don't want your other food.

They lost out and now were going to a local place which runs a normal menu.