Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 09/12/2021 at 23:06, Free Falling Foxes said:

That was what made me post. Ridiculous, wasn't it?

Sadly, not unique though.

In addition to Line-X's reply, I think another purpose is to catch channel surfers. Anyone happening upon one of these programmes gets a chance to get up to speed after each commercial break.

It's got to the point now where the programme becomes the filler between the adverts. All commercial channels are the same but the catch-up channels like Dave, are the worst. I refuse to watch them. I seem to remember, a few years ago, the TV regulation body agreed to an extension to the time allowed for adverts shown during and between TV shows. I can barely watch commercial TV these days. Certainly cannot watch footy/sport on ITV.

Can you imagine watching a gripping thriller such as Silence Of The Lambs, in the cinema and the film being interrupted every 10 mins for 7 mins of adverts? I'd never go to watch a film again.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Parafox said:

It's got to the point now where the programme becomes the filler between the adverts. All commercial channels are the same but the catch-up channels like Dave, are the worst. I refuse to watch them. I seem to remember, a few years ago, the TV regulation body agreed to an extension to the time allowed for adverts shown during and between TV shows. I can barely watch commercial TV these days. Certainly cannot watch footy/sport on ITV.

Can you imagine watching a gripping thriller such as Silence Of The Lambs, in the cinema and the film being interrupted every 10 mins for 7 mins of adverts? I'd never go to watch a film again.

Dave is insane. Utterly unwatchable in real time. 

31 minutes ago, Parafox said:

ITV1, C4 and C5 are allowed 7 minutes per hour for advertising, rising to 8 minutes between 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. All the other commercial channels are allowed 12 minutes per hour. Having adverts in the middle of YouTube videos is also pretty gear-grinding.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2021 at 07:57, buzzer_b said:

When you go to wipe your arse with toilet wipes but you can’t find the first wipe so you sit there pulling out a bunch of wipes out of the hole and then you rip the hole, making it bigger, meaning you now need to throw the whole bag away because it will dry out. 

Been there

• Like 1

5 hours ago, String fellow said:

ITV1, C4 and C5 are allowed 7 minutes per hour for advertising, rising to 8 minutes between 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. All the other commercial channels are allowed 12 minutes per hour. Having adverts in the middle of YouTube videos is also pretty gear-grinding.

In all my years of watching TV I've been influenced to buy about twice from commercials.

On 09/12/2021 at 22:44, Free Falling Foxes said:

Documentaries on commercial TV, especially Ch5.

After every advert break they spend a minute or two reminding you what you saw before the break. Do they think we have the attention span of a goldfish?

lol annoying that is, bit like when they build a whole series around finding some treasure and after 15 episodes they still haven't found anything... curse of oak island, coopers treasure there's loads.

(Sunday league) County FA’s. Got told about a month ago that season was finished for the year as of yesterday until after the Christmas break. So no more fixtures this year. I’ve told the lads that (me, my CM, Centre half and captain, right winger and goal keeper are all in Manchester on a boozy one next Saturday as well, taxi booked for 3am back to Leeds), so a lot have made plans, got some lads who are at uni so they’ve planned to go home etc. 

Get a fixture note through this morning that they’ve now decided to rearrange a county cup game that THEY called off because they couldn’t get a referee, from about a month ago. So we now apparently do have a fixture on Sunday, and I’ve got about 3 players.. I’ve spoken to them this morning to explain the situation and I’ve basically been told play it or piss off. Lovely. Cheers. 

Edited by Manini

17 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Adverts on Sky Box Office are the most infuriating, when you’ve paid £20 to watch a fight and you can’t even hear the corners in between rounds. 

I gave up on Sky years ago simply because I refused pay good money to watch adverts. It's a joke. No wonder PL footballers get paid monopoly money. Some European subscription channels on satellite don't have any adverts.

The fact that the UK govt was found guilty in court of collusion with loyalist paramilitaries in the murders of the Miami Showband and this is not national news.

46 years of fighting for justice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FoxyPV said:

The fact that the UK govt was found guilty in court of collusion with loyalist paramilitaries in the murders of the Miami Showband and this is not national news.

46 years of fighting for justice.

On a similar theme,  several innocent people getting blasted to pieces by a drone in Afghanistan and no one answering for it at all, because apparently collateral murder is OK in the US military. (And other militaries, too.)

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

Thought this at the time, but the more the years pass it winds me up even more.

Just how prominent Ben Chilwell features in all the pictures when we lifted the PL trophy. The man played precisely zero minutes in the league that season. Google search pictures from our trophy lift though, and the stills taken afterwards and there he is. Right there, noticeably present in the pictures. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Cambridge high street bringing the goods again:  Had some carollers apparently raising money for charity except it's 4 blokes in casual dress stood in front of a speaker playing a recording of a choir which they seemed to be taking turns half-heartedly singing over on the microphone, their leader (he had a top hat on so I'm assuming that's what he was) occasionally yelling out an aggressive sounding "IT'S FOR CHARITY" while their 5th matey takes up the middle of the road spinning slowly around in his poundland xmas elf garb, jingling bells out of time with the music.   It was like walking into a scene from Bad Santa.

To add to the out of place xmas feeling, there's also a dancing robotic penguin display in the shopping centre nearby where somebody has made the executive decision to program in the eeriest rendition of Silent Night I've ever heard, almost every note was slowed and sung in a slightly different pitch to usual, I guess the intention being to sound like how singers showing off their vocal talents, only here it just sounded like when a horror film takes a well known piece of music and deliberately inserts discordant notes to make it insidious. There will be many traumatised children in Cambridge this year.

Sounds like a really bad B movie! 4 half arsed / scamming Carrol singers hunted down and killed by possessed penguin animatronic

Edited by LCFCCHRIS

It's probably a reflection of my mood today and why I'm sat having a post work pint lol but people who go out through a pub door, usually for a fag, and leave the door wide open piss me off. And then the masses of people who go through it after not thinking to close it. Until I eventually have to close it myself. 

I'm sure I'm the only person who is conscious of closing a door behind me lol

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ozleicester said:

People who link to blocked newspaper/magazine etc articles.

If we've got a subscription we've probably already read it....if we havent got one and if you think we need to read it.. copy and paste.

unfortunately the althetic complained about that to the forum so its been stopped

14 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

It's probably a reflection of my mood today and why I'm sat having a post work pint lol but people who go out through a pub door, usually for a fag, and leave the door wide open piss me off. And then the masses of people who go through it after not thinking to close it. Until I eventually have to close it myself. 

I'm sure I'm the only person who is conscious of closing a door behind me lol

You're not alone.