Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

17 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

It's probably a reflection of my mood today and why I'm sat having a post work pint lol but people who go out through a pub door, usually for a fag, and leave the door wide open piss me off. And then the masses of people who go through it after not thinking to close it. Until I eventually have to close it myself. 

I'm sure I'm the only person who is conscious of closing a door behind me lol

Leaving outside doors open in general winds me up, unless it's the middle of summer. 

Next time it happens, wait until you're ready to leave, make sure all the smokers have come back in sat down and gotten warm then choose that moment to go, making sure you leave the door wide open as you do. See how they like it. 

18 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

It's probably a reflection of my mood today and why I'm sat having a post work pint lol but people who go out through a pub door, usually for a fag, and leave the door wide open piss me off. And then the masses of people who go through it after not thinking to close it. Until I eventually have to close it myself. 

I'm sure I'm the only person who is conscious of closing a door behind me lol

They are being considerate and leaving you a well ventilated bar area, reducing the risk of you catching covid and having your Xmas ruined.

If one of the kids does it at home though, they're definitely getting a clip round the ear lol

12 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

And you think that's an insult?

Yes I think being called gay is an insult in the same way I think being called a girl is an insult (obviously they're both very mild on the insult scale). It doesn't mean I'm a homophobe or misogynist.

25 minutes ago, shade said:

Yes I think being called gay is an insult in the same way I think being called a girl is an insult (obviously they're both very mild on the insult scale). It doesn't mean I'm a homophobe or misogynist.

I think the fact that those two things are on the “insult scale” at all is the issue, in fairness, mate. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, shade said:

How is being called either gay or a girl insulting? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, shade said:

I’m sorry to say it kind of does…

even though you may well rank as very mild on the homophobe and misogynist scale.

Neither of those terms are insults at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Bowman said:

I’m sorry to say it kind of does…

even though you may well rank as very mild on the homophobe and misogynist scale.

Neither of those terms are insults at all.

incorrect. someone calling you a melon is obviously intended as in insult, there is nothing wrong with melons. if anything I would posit that the people who claim it's NOT an insult are the ones who are closeted.

57 minutes ago, shade said:

Probably a vigin though.

Which also isn't an insult. :D

6 minutes ago, shade said:

incorrect. someone calling you a melon is obviously intended as in insult, there is nothing wrong with melons. if anything I would posit that the people who claim it's NOT an insult are the ones who are closeted.

Melons weren't considered as lesser human beings for a reasonable amount of recorded human history. In terms of social standing,  homosexuals and women were. There's a whole lexicon of context there.

Using either "gay" or "a girl" as a pejorative clearly tries to carry on that toxic tradition in its meaning.

Thankfully, such perjoratives and those that use them appear to be getting rarer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Melons weren't considered as lesser human beings for a reasonable amount of recorded human history. In terms of social standing,  homosexuals and women were. There's a whole lexicon of context there.

Using either "gay" or "a girl" as a pejorative clearly tries to carry on that toxic tradition in its meaning.

Thankfully, such perjoratives and those that use them appear to be getting rarer.

That's a valid point, but we aren't discussing why they're insults, just the fact that they are? I could legitimately argue that the accusation that I place my genitalia inside another males rectum is intended to offend me. 

1 minute ago, shade said:

That's a valid point, but we aren't discussing why they're insults, just the fact that they are? I could legitimately argue that the accusation that I place my genitalia inside another males rectum is intended to offend me. 

doesnt have to mean that, you could be a bottom. would you be offended if someone accused you of having anal with a female? same thing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shade said:

The "why" is absolutely key to the definition of them being insults imo (it entirely depends on history and social context) so I think both are inextricably linked.

But I'll leave it with the related observation that I can't see why one would consider either using that insult or taking offence at it being used against them if they considered the subject matter a social equal.

Just now, leicsmac said:

The "why" is absolutely key to the definition of them being insults imo (it entirely depends on history and social context) so I think both are inextricably linked.

But I'll leave it with the related observation that I can't see why one would consider either using that insult or taking offence at it being used against them if they considered the subject matter a social equal.

The paradox of your claim then, is that trying to stop chants like "does your boyfriend know you're here" is actually homophobic, because you are acknowledging that you view it as offensive to have a boyfriend?

1 minute ago, shade said:

The paradox of your claim then, is that trying to stop chants like "does your boyfriend know you're here" is actually homophobic, because you are acknowledging that you view it as offensive to have a boyfriend?

That chant has never sat right with me personally. 

It's equal to away fans chanting "You're just a town full of..." (I won't even say it), when they visit Leicester, because of our multicultural population.

37 minutes ago, shade said:

well, because I'm neither. wouldn't it be offensive if someone called you sir?

That's not the equivalent to what you are claiming to be insulting though. The equivalent would be if someone called me a man, ie 'Oh Deb you're such a bloke' , and so no that wouldn't be an insult. It wouldn't be insulting because there's nothing wrong with being a bloke. The fact that you see being called a girl or gay as insulting implies that you think there is something wrong with being either. Otherwise how could it be an insult? 

For someone to meet me and think they needed to call me sir would just be strange lol

13 minutes ago, shade said:

Not particularly, because it's possible to consider that people use such chants with clearly homophobic intent and at the same time know that outside such people and their rather outdated moral compass there's nothing wrong with a bloke having a boyfriend.

Context, and intent, matters.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Not particularly, because it's possible to consider that people use such chants with clearly homophobic intent and at the same time know that outside such people and their rather outdated moral compass there's nothing wrong with a bloke having a boyfriend.

Context, and intent, matters.

So taking it back to my original, flippant and jokey comment calling flowers gay in relation to Forest, we accept that my context and intent means the word gay can be an insult regardless of whether there's anything wrong with homosexuality (which is in itself subjective).

7 minutes ago, shade said:

So taking it back to my original, flippant and jokey comment calling flowers gay in relation to Forest, we accept that my context and intent means the word gay can be an insult regardless of whether there's anything wrong with homosexuality (which is in itself subjective).

Huh?

• Like 2