Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

3 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

Not a dad but have been with two women with kids who practically need a menu reading out every meal time just so they can say “no” a lot, until they eventually get asked about the one thing they like.

I’ve asked my mum about this and me and my sister just got whatever mum and dad were having, whether we liked it or not.

I’m not sure what’s changed…

i think thats whats changed. many of us parents were forced to eat stuff we didnt like, and we dont want to pass that on to our kids so we listen to their complaints if they dont like stuff and try to give them options, but there has to be a balance or it gets out of control. i wont make 5 different meals at tea time but i will try and make thing most of the kids like , and they can leave what they dont. 

Finally an article on the news regarding delivery firms just leaving items on the doorstep whether you’re at home or not.

Doorstep parcel theft is becoming a problem.

Ive had delivery companies claim it’s been handed to the resident (me) when I’ve been at work, a complete lie.

Push a card through and take it back to the depot instead of leaving it on the doorstep. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Parents POV needed here to see if my grinded gear is legitimate. My in-laws are trying to sort a surprise birthday gathering for the missus. They want to do an afternoon tea which is fine, but my sister-in-law is messaging the chat that her son "won't eat afternoon tea" and after looking at the menu "he doesn't like pizza, burgers or brown rice" either. Therefore he won't be coming and it'll just be her. He's 12. I'm just really annoyed at the flat out refusal to bring him and refusal to have any thought or desire to actually make him try something from the menu.

At what age do you stop pandering to the food whims of your children? Am I unnecessarily annoyed at this?

Never. Baby led weaning sorts all that crap out.

8 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Not a dad but have been with two women with kids who practically need a menu reading out every meal time just so they can say “no” a lot, until they eventually get asked about the one thing they like.

I’ve asked my mum about this and me and my sister just got whatever mum and dad were having, whether we liked it or not.

I’m not sure what’s changed…

My dad used to say. 'You would eat it if you were hungry.

Too right.

• Like 1

Hmmmm.. 

An office Xmas drink

A member of royal family with less than wholesome pastimes

A tennis player trying to play tennis

I guess the devil is in the detail but I'm still thinking MEH! 

Maybe I need to do some  reflection on my values 

Or

There is alot of bulls**t massively dissproportionate  mock outrage going on...

I'm.leaning towards the latter but I'm worried that makes me a c***

Take the Xmas party thing..not a great look but surely we should temper our response by remembering the huge efforts people in government have made during covid....No?...Ok then maybe remind ourselves how utterly ordinary an office party is?...no

Edited by Adrian

23 minutes ago, Adrian said:

Hmmmm.. 

An office Xmas drink

Or

Take the Xmas party thing..not a great look but surely we should temper our response by remembering the huge efforts people in government have made during covid....No?...Ok then maybe remind ourselves how utterly ordinary an office party is?...no

Those Dr's and Nurses who worked hard weren't allowed a party, in fact they would have got a fine if they had had more than a couple of people in their garden. It's the fact the people making the rules are blatantly sticking the middle finger up at us by breaking them whilst millions didn't. Millions didn't see friends or family, they didn't see them before they died, they missed funerals. People were fined for sitting on a bench in a park ffs, all whilst this **** and his mates got pissed in his back garden. Nobody else had parties at that time, nobody else had "work events", there were no events! If they did they got fined.

I think describing Prince Andrew as less than wholesome is woefully underpaying it.

As for Djokovic, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, but he's has been a bit of a dick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adrian said:

Hmmmm.. 

An office Xmas drink

Or

No one’s asking you to be outraged. Doesn’t mean health staff who worked through a pandemic for hours on end in PPE, folk who couldn’t see loved ones as they died in hospital and then could not attend their funeral or young folk who lost almost two years locked in the house when they should have been enjoying what they have of their youth aren’t totally pissed off that the government who made that so decided to flout it themselves. 

If you enjoyed being locked in watching Coronation Street then good for you. They worked no harder if not less so than the frontline staff who weren’t afforded the luxury and it seems their ‘hard work’ has been found by court as being unlawfully handing contracts out to mates. And no, no one remembers how utterly normal office parties were at the time when you could be expected to be knicked having one.

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Like 2

Thank you for all feedback in "foodgate" above. I think my prejudice is wider as he is very molly coddled for a 12 year old, so this just adds another thing onto the list of things that seem to make him so. You're right though, better to enjoy the event with no fuss than be grumpy about not attending!

2 hours ago, Rain King said:

How an earth did this get published on the Mercury website?

I know it's the pits but do they not think to check it before posting it up?

The whole story is like this, littered with mistakes but this is just the opening paragraph.

A Wigston residents has been left disgusted after being hit by a spate of 'fart and runs' by a man who keeping walking up her Ring doorbell and breaking wind.

Talk about breaking news

• Haha 3

The whole story is like this, littered with mistakes but this is just the opening paragraph.

A Wigston residents has been left disgusted after being hit by a spate of 'fart and runs' by a man who keeping walking up her Ring doorbell and breaking wind.

I bet the perpetrator is a Trump supporter.

• Like 1

blown out of proportion

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-59981811

Up there with the most ridiculous things that someone is offended by.

An academic has a campaign to stop Midget Gems being called Midget Gems, because the word Midget is offensive.

M&S have renamed them Mini Gems.

Just absurd. 

_122697633_hi073076231.jpg

Interesting use of the word "favourite". I don't know anyone who likes midget gems, especially when you get duped by the black ones thinking they're going to be blackcurrant flavour, and they are basically salt flavour

4 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

_122697633_hi073076231.jpg

Interesting use of the word "favourite". I don't know anyone who likes midget gems, especially when you get duped by the black ones thinking they're going to be blackcurrant flavour, and they are basically salt flavour

Aldi ones are nice. They are still called midget too.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

6 minutes ago, oakman said:

The cheapening of ‘mental health’.

Don’t quite know how to vocalise what I mean so I really apologise for my ham-fisted way of putting it. It’s a serious issue effecting so many but I’m worried some people’s well-being will be downplayed due to its now catch-all prevalence.  

It does grind my gears when people say "I've got mental health"... Gross misuse of the term and just sounds ridiculous 

• Like 4

On 15/01/2022 at 21:26, oakman said:

The cheapening of ‘mental health’.

Don’t quite know how to vocalise what I mean so I really apologise for my ham-fisted way of putting it. It’s a serious issue effecting so many but I’m worried some people’s well-being will be downplayed due to its now catch-all prevalence.  

It's a difficult thing to articulate but I know what you mean.

A lot of people think that discussing it so often and encouraging others to discuss it makes it easier for everyone to be open about mental health issues. I'd say for a big majority this is probably true, however for me it's made me more likely to not want to talk about mental health issues for being seen as looking for attention or being classed as 'one of those people' almost.

As above I'm probably not communicating what I mean very well but the overuse and easiness to explain people going through a bad patch or doing something silly that they regret as having mental health issues, makes me not want to discuss any issues I might have for being seen as falling in this category or 'jumping on the bandwagon' so to speak.

• Like 1

I'm in Tenerife for a fortnight even though originally we were supposed to be in Thailand. We couldn't go in the end because Tui kept cancelling our flights, literally 5 or 6 times. 

So imagine my surprise this morning to see on GMTV Andi Peters in Thailand advertising a competition to win £20K IN Tui vouchers. They can fly him there but not us?