Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 21/01/2022 at 14:02, Silebyfox_89 said:

The whole "veganuary" push atm, seems to have taken over from dry January. 

I get it good for the planet but some of items are over processed and high in salt (I have high blood pressure) so don't offer a health benefit to myself.

I think we've all got a collective responsibility to eat less meat, but making it a flash sale for the month puts me right off.

I agree that it is superficial to have this push for vegan eating just for a month if vegan products are not maintained afterwards and that it is far more sensible to have a sustained push for transition to the reduction in meat eating. 

However with that said, I tried Veganuary for first time this year.  I have been previously a part time vegetarian with my wife being full time vegetarian.    We agreed to give this a try with the aim of trying much dairy free products as we can so we can introduce more dairy free products to our diet afterwards.   I think it has been a good success so far as we have found oat milk that we liked, passable vegan butters and even one mildly acceptable cheese 😂.   We also realised that we need to cook more vegetable based dishes and to reduce our reliance on cheese.  

I am honest enough to admit I don't think I can be a full time vegan ( I struggle a bit with being a full time vegetarian) but I think Veganuary has definitely have us the push to experiment with our diets and we would definitely want to carry forward with new eating habits this month.   In all I think Veganuary is worth it as it can be essentially a 'gateaway drug'  for people to reduce their meat and dairy intake.  

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 20:19, Unabomber said:

People who have steak anything above medium, does my head in. 

In Belgium, I Love "English" ( blue). Never had bad quality Steak/beef in Belgium..just a small Note of fact just in my own life

Travelling/Working around America/Oz, Barbecue/festival or steakhouse also never had a poor steak...

Across various European countries including old Blighty probably 5 Times I distincley remember, 3 of those times,Chef agreed and willingly grilled another.

I love entrecote or Rib-eye & a well presented T-bone/or a good Side of tenderloin...I used to like a Good rump-steak,But hard in these modern times, to find a Butcher or retaurant, who has the decency to First ask, if I would like it with the Fatty rind, or cut off...I

I Dong Need to Chase a filet-steak

But no matter what steak,I agree .medium sometimes just over,But still with a small rosey centre...For me Never well-done.

22 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Joe Rogan being a platform for prejudiced tossers and scientific misinformation that is not only annoying but dangerous for the future if too many people buy into it, and Spotify letting him do it because he has managed to con enough people that he makes them money.

I used to love the show in my younger days .... Watched one with Jordan Peterson this week and my god the amount of absolute nonsense they are discussing is staggering, Rogan is not too bad and somewhat impartial but the platform it gives these nutters is incredible

1 hour ago, Tim'llFixIt said:

I used to love the show in my younger days .... Watched one with Jordan Peterson this week and my god the amount of absolute nonsense they are discussing is staggering, Rogan is not too bad and somewhat impartial but the platform it gives these nutters is incredible

Yeah, Rogans own views aren't really the problem. It's who he has on there to spout rubbish because he knows encouraging such controversy will pay well.

On 23/01/2022 at 15:04, The Blur said:

I agree that it is superficial to have this push for vegan eating just for a month if vegan products are not maintained afterwards and that it is far more sensible to have a sustained push for transition to the reduction in meat eating. 

However with that said, I tried Veganuary for first time this year.  I have been previously a part time vegetarian with my wife being full time vegetarian.    We agreed to give this a try with the aim of trying much dairy free products as we can so we can introduce more dairy free products to our diet afterwards.   I think it has been a good success so far as we have found oat milk that we liked, passable vegan butters and even one mildly acceptable cheese 😂.   We also realised that we need to cook more vegetable based dishes and to reduce our reliance on cheese.  

I am honest enough to admit I don't think I can be a full time vegan ( I struggle a bit with being a full time vegetarian) but I think Veganuary has definitely have us the push to experiment with our diets and we would definitely want to carry forward with new eating habits this month.   In all I think Veganuary is worth it as it can be essentially a 'gateaway drug'  for people to reduce their meat and dairy intake.  

you could also look at it as a process. This year you are eliminating a few items for plant based foods. Maybe next year a few more?

I think part of the stigma attached to being a vegan and  particularly veganuary is that people  have the mindset you need to go cold turkey ( excuse the pun :D) and suddenly become a vegan at the end of January.  I think it would be a far more successful marketing strategy  and there’d be far more people participating and making the change if people used a long term strategy.. a few new products  / foods each year is much more manageable. I mean, what is the  ultimate goal? For everyone to think the same and make the move on moral grounds or for people to transition to a plant based diet?

there also needs to be better investment in vegan products from some of these larger companies. It can’t be that hard surely to develop a vegan cheese that doesn’t taste like rat poo shavings…

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Pubs (and even some restaurants) doing chips the size of jenga blocks. Get rid of em.

White Horse Birstall, which actually does really decent food so reluctant to knock, used to even stack them like a Jenga tower. Agreed though, it's always disappointing when giant wedges not chips arrive.

4 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Pubs (and even some restaurants) doing chips the size of jenga blocks. Get rid of em.

4 hours ago, Zear0 said:

White Horse Birstall, which actually does really decent food so reluctant to knock, used to even stack them like a Jenga tower. Agreed though, it's always disappointing when giant wedges not chips arrive.

I don't mind chips pretty big, but I agree they can be more like wedges. What's the best size of chips do we reckon, about 1cm square? 

I'd rather they be too big and not too small like fries though 

5 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Why is it they taste so much better when they are crinkled?It’s still a chip.Yet I agree they’re so much better.

Absolutely preposterous that when you go to a pub you have to pay an extra quid to upgrade your chips to curly fries, crinkle cut chips or sweet potato fries.

Morrisons do some absolutely banging seasoned lattice cut fries.

I like a homemade wedge. Par boiled, then seasoned with garlic and herbs or some chilli salt.

Best made with a baby potato, so they're small and crispy, but fluffy on the inside.

Edited by tom27111

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

Probably more surface area for salt and grease per chip. 

@The Bear has gone all scientific on us, but he might be right.

Does the same principle apply to curly/lattice?

Me and the Mrs were in The Range a few weeks ago, it's got an Iceland in-store.

They had branded Hula Hoop and McCoys frozen potatoes.

They were shite. 100% do not recommend. 

As a half decent cook, I was very disappointed in myself. But before I met the Mrs almost 3 years ago, the kids lived off fish fingers, nugs and oven chips, so we thought we'd reminisce lol

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

@The Bear has gone all scientific on us, but he might be right.

Does the same principle apply to curly/lattice?

He is right, crinkle cut chips don't tend to have anything on them more than normal chips, it's just a mixture of extra surface area and mouthfeel. Curly/lattice usually have all sorts of different seasoning on them to make them tastier, curly in particular

• Like 1

Clickbait

Headline is saw yesterday was 'Lord of the Rings Star Dies' - it was some bloke who played a random orc.

Headline I saw today was 'The Walking Dead Star found dead' - it was some bloke who played a random zombie.

• Like 2

The village idiot at work who thinks that every company wide internal platform is their “stage” and they’re the UK’s next top stand up comedian. If you use Slack, Teams etc at work I have a feeling you’ll know what I’m on about. 

Edit: and if you don’t know what I’m on about, well I’ve got some bad news for ya …

Edited by Manini

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Radio adverts. I don’t get why they make them so irritating, I just change station straight away.

There's one on talk sport (I think it's for an on line greeting card company) and some woman says really, really, really, really, about a dozen times. Had to turn it off as I just couldn't bear it.

• Like 3