Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

16 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Travelling by railway grinds my gears.

Since I’ve been able to drive I have hardly travelled by train. 

I chose to do a business trip from Glasgow to Barnsley and back by rail this week, as I was driving very long distances earlier in the week and feared I might struggle.  Chance to sit back and let somebody else get me there… maybe get some work done.

Having finished my business in Barnsley earlier than I thought, I set off for Glasgow.  Change at Leeds and Lancaster.

At Leeds, I’m told that my ticket is only valid for the specific journey I had originally planned which is in about three hours time, despite there being unreserved seating on the first two trains, and unreserved coaches on the last train.

I offered to pay a supplement to my existing ticket.  No dice. Need a fresh ticket.

I asked how much for a fresh ticket.

A HUNDRED AND TWENTY QUID.

lol

I would add that the rail information guy (who couldn’t tell me prices and suggested I try the ticket office) suggested “off the record” that I could maybe try and negotiate with the train conductors and so I approached the train conductors and they laughed and suggested I try the ticket office.  The ticket office person was unbelievably impolite and snorted when I told her what I was trying to do.

I mean, it’s not as if the trains you travel on aren’t filthy, really loud, slow and populated by the kind of people who show you their scars and complain about their social worker, three inches from your face.

FFS.

No wonder people fly and drive everywhere.

:mad:

14 hours ago, Stadt said:

I was forced to buy an entirely new ticket once as my railcard had expired by a couple of days - which I hadn’t realised. I was travelling on the return leg as well ffs.

Some inspectors are rotting bellend flesh

You wouldnt turn up at the KP tomorrow against Leeds expecting to get in with a ticket for us v Randers or Brentford fuss free would you?? :P

On 28/02/2022 at 00:55, Unabomber said:

When im waiting at a crossing and have clearly pressed the button for the green man and then someone trots up and presses the button. Does my head in. 

You clearly look like the kind of twat who struggles to press a button. :)

33 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Blokes at work who leave skids on the toilet seat!

How is that even possible? Absolute heathens.

Some dirty sod (sods?) used to smear bogeys on the wall whilst having a piss.

I suggested, in all seriousness, that we should run a DNA test on them to out and shame the person responsible.

2 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

I imagine it's from people that squat, rather than sit on the seat.

Someone at work does this and its f○○King carnage.

3 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Hovering? :dunno:

I used to be a cleaner and we did a few factories with offices. The gents in a recycling plant we used to do were horrendous. Shit on the seat and the floor were a regular occurence.

Scattergun Groupon offers regularly fired into my inbox that are not just ludicrously wide of the mark and now outright bizarre. It's gone from the obligatory spa days, clay pigeon shooting and rattan furniture to an extraterrestrial experience, and a weekend in Swindon with a ticket to the history of computing museum. 

Just on work loo etiquette. My friend who worked for O&W Council told me about someone who had left a poo on the floor in the ladies. The outraged employee who found the poo photographed offending package and then sent a pissed off email complaining about it, with the pic embedded into the email, to the ALL USERS mailing list. This list obviously included everyone, including anyone working as a contractor with the council.

Needless to say HR apparently hauled her in for a word.

• Haha 2

On 05/03/2022 at 17:01, Line-X said:

a weekend in Swindon with a ticket to the history of computing museum. 

You don't know how good that could be. My bro went to a gaming museum full of old Atari's and 1st gen games on all platforms including the big ones that used to be in arcades and pubs back in the day like Space Invaders and the spin-offs.

He's a bit techy but he said it was really good. You pay the reasonable admission price and all the games are free to play.

Swindon would be the differential for me, though.

Edited by Parafox

The state of people at the cinema. Had a fat bastard next to us who literally did not stop eating all film. I think Batman interrupted his meal.

People taking pictures of the film intro for their Instagram.

Then people getting weirdly excited when they figured something out at the end. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

The state of people at the cinema. Had a fat bastard next to us who literally did not stop eating all film. I think Batman interrupted his meal.

i've said it before i'll say it again, book in to the subtitled viewing, its glorious

9 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I went to see it at the weekend in Birmingham, at one point a guy turned to his mate and loudly asked if Zoe Kravitz was a lesbian and his pal with a tonne of popcorn in his mouth shouted "I HOPE SO!"

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I see this all the time. People filling their faces for 90 mins straight as if they have no other time to eat that night. 

It's worse at Odeon because they allow people to bring their own food in to the screenings. So you get all manner of takeaway bags rustling as well as shopping bags. 

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I see this all the time. People filling their faces for 90 mins straight as if they have no other time to eat that night. 

It's worse at Odeon because they allow people to bring their own food in to the screenings. So you get all manner of takeaway bags rustling as well as shopping bags. 

Yeah this was an odeon. Batman is nearly 3 hours long, he did not stop lol 

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The thing is though is that people have always ate food at the cinema. Yes, its annoying, but if you don't want other people existing around you whilst watching the film then wait for it to come out proper or through other methods where you can select who you watch it with. 

It's not people eating, it's doing it the entire film and making loads of noise with bags and wrappers. 

6 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

The thing is though is that people have always ate food at the cinema. Yes, its annoying, but if you don't want other people existing around you whilst watching the film then wait for it to come out proper or through other methods where you can select who you watch it with. 

Think Bear below is right that sometimes it's not necessarily the eating, it's the sheer volume of stuff some have and constant noise. You can probably handle the popcorn, but if there's a bag of sweets, slurpy drink, another bag of sweets, crisps and any other manner of noisy crap it can get unbearable.

I do heed what you say though. I hate the cinema. I hate that I have people who might narrate every line, who might have a chat, have their phone out with a lit up screen within my eyeshot, rustle, eat loudly. I have to worry whether I can have X number of drinks before so I don't need to need the loo during the film, potentially missing a key bit. I just download the film as soon as a proper version is available and watch that way.

Basically, there's still a desire for the cinema, and those that go crack on. I'm sure many enjoy it and have a great time with friends, it just ain't for me.

• Like 1