Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

The negative attitude to the house building industry. These builders build great homes which are much better that those built before. 

Absolutely tiny though and right on top of each other.

They've started some new builds not far from me and it's actually awkward to look at the layouts of them.

Horrendous.

I get maximising profits, but who would be that desperate to buy something like that?

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Absolutely tiny though and right on top of each other.

They've started some new builds not far from me and it's actually awkward to look at the layouts of them.

Horrendous.

I get maximising profits, but who would be that desperate to buy something like that?

A lot of people seeing as most are all forward sold. 

Just now, tom27111 said:

I guess it's a generational thing of people wanting shiny and new, rather than putting the effort in to something older.

Each to their own I guess.

I think it’s more the help to buy and offers etc. I agree there’s more value in looking for older houses. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I guess it's a generational thing of people wanting shiny and new, rather than putting the effort in to something older.

Each to their own I guess.

14 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I think it’s more the help to buy and offers etc. I agree there’s more value in looking for older houses. 

New builds arent for me but I can see the benefit in them for society as a whole as it increases supply generally and they are usually very practical for busy families who want a fenced in garden and drive way.

19 hours ago, Nalis said:

New builds arent for me but I can see the benefit in them for society as a whole as it increases supply generally and they are usually very practical for busy families who want a fenced in garden and drive way.

My in laws moved from a large proportioned 1970s house they had been in for 40 years to a new build 2 bed house. Initially they hated the small garden and lack of storage. Now they love the lack of maintenance to the garden and the fact they barely need to use the heating.

Wouldn't want one myself but I can see why people like them, I do think the room proportions could be improved as could the parking on these estates.

4 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

How disingenuous Sky’s women’s football headlines are. The clickbait nature and wording as if it’s the mens team signing a big player. It really would do them better to just say Arsenal women.

I should add that it’s brilliant how much coverage the WSL gets these days and that can only be a good thing.

They just don’t need to act as though the two squads are as one. 

Almost all major sports news sites do it now. The WSL gets more coverage above the fold than the championship, I reckon the viewership of the championship is thousands of times greater.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

How disingenuous Sky’s women’s football headlines are. The clickbait nature and wording as if it’s the mens team signing a big player. It really would do them better to just say Arsenal women.

I should add that it’s brilliant how much coverage the WSL gets these days and that can only be a good thing.

'Chelsea sign Arsenal star'

'Liverpool held at Southampton' etc

If there's a pic its usually one with a badge.

I'm in the same boat as you and think its brilliant it has more coverage but the clickbait nature just annoys people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

It's all done on purpose so these articles and stories get more clicks.

They can then go to their bosses and say, "Look at this, Women's football articles and interest has increased by x% over the last 3 seasons". Then the bosses can say "Excellent, that's the 'increase interest in women's football' box ticked!"

A bit of a cynical point of view to have but I work in a similar environment so I know exactly why they word the articles and links in this way.

Edited by lcfc278

5 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

It's all done on purpose so these articles and stories get more clicks.

They can then go to their bosses and say, "Look at this, Women's football articles and interest has increased by x% over the last 3 seasons". Then the bosses can say "Excellent, that's the 'increase interest in women's football' box ticked!"

A bit of a cynical point of view to have but I work in a similar environment so I know exactly why they word the articles and links in this way.

'Re click bait: there must be a way of demonstrating (algorithms?) If an article/story accessed via these actually gets read?

99% of the time I've been dooped into falling for clickbait, I've clicked off again in milliseconds, therefore it has served little purpose.

9 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

bbc are always doing it, my mam kept texting me saying theres a game on tonight .. had to keep telling her its womens football, so even the women aint got a clue lol

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

bbc are always doing it, my mam kept texting me saying theres a game on tonight .. had to keep telling her its womens football, so even the women aint got a clue lol

The BBC are the worst for it.

On their main sport page, they regularly have women's football live commentary above that of Premier League games.

It's only because it's the only football that the BBC can show live.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

TBF.

Unless we are going to say, *Leicester MEN sign star" why do we need to say women?

You might be most interested in the men's game and stories...others may be more interested in the women's 

In the end by forcing use of "Women's" is minimising the competition and women in general

5 hours ago, ozleicester said:

TBF.

Unless we are going to say, *Leicester MEN sign star" why do we need to say women?

You might be most interested in the men's game and stories...others may be more interested in the women's 

In the end by forcing use of "Women's" is minimising the competition and women in general

So make it the other way around. I'd happily accept them using the word men in a story title to differentiate between the two if really forcing the use of the word women belittles the competition. Problem solved. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

TBF.

That’s true, but it is their official team name. Look at our LCFC Women Twitter account. It’s separate to the mens one which is just LCFC.

We could all be overly literal and that would get around it. Public interest would suggest that prefixing the mens teams isn’t necessary and that most male football news would be given context just by the names involved. 

I’ve got no problem with women’s football being headline news, I just don’t like the dishonest way in which it’s done. I think it actually does more harm than good to pretend that they’re the same teams.

• Like 3

The mindset you occasionally see on here/twitter concerning what goes on behind the scenes with the club, it's a thinly veiled way to deflect any and all sorts of blame. "Well we don't what's going on, x & y might have happened." Just as within any business there has to be accountability for serious issues & mistakes to rectify it, learn from it and recruit people that can do it better.

"We might have wanted this player instead, we don't know what was going with his agent, selling club, image rights, immigration status, tax codes, blood type, mother's maiden name, first childhood pet, his car insurer, Pokemon Red starter choice, allergen information, so we can't know for sure, no club gets their transfer business 100% right."

You can't argue against it because it's an appeal to authority not involved in the discussion.

Edited by Stadt