Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 20/05/2022 at 11:24, Nalis said:

'Chelsea sign Arsenal star'

'Liverpool held at Southampton' etc

If there's a pic its usually one with a badge.

I'm in the same boat as you and think its brilliant it has more coverage but the clickbait nature just annoys people.

It's not even just when it's done as clickbait. You'll be watching Arsenal vs Chelsea on the telly in a Premier League game and you'll have Alex Scott with a graphic next to her saying "played 150 games for Arsenal" and you're thinking 

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUz

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not even just when it's done as clickbait. You'll be watching Arsenal vs Chelsea on the telly in a Premier League game and you'll have Alex Scott with a graphic next to her saying "played 150 games for Arsenal" and you're thinking 

To be fair I don't think anyone thinks she played for the Men's team.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That makes me think of when they lump records together, like saying Fara Williams is England record appearance maker with 172. Well she's not, she the women's and Peter Shilton is for the men. They aren't playing for the same team or the continuation of the same team and aren't competing with each other. The women's game is different, and has a different set up, there may be more chance to get more caps.

Never gets done with any other records, we don't ignore the faster women's 100ms because Usain Bolt was quicker. We have a mens record and women's record.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

To be fair I don't think anyone thinks she played for the Men's team.

Really Jon, you reckon!? lol

🤷

I'm not suggesting they do, I just find it awkward and very forced the need to try and equate the two as interchangeable and I'm not convinced pretending there's zero difference between men and women's football is the best way to promote equality in the sport, or life. 

• Like 2

On 24/05/2022 at 13:08, Stinky said:

McDonald's slogan for their heart attack breakfast menu as "breakfast done properly" - really McDonald's?? 

The radio advert makes me cringe.

I get the "bacon from free range pigs" etc. but "and a freshly cracked egg"? Really?

I should hope it is freshly cracked FFS

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

That makes me think of when they lump records together, like saying Fara Williams is England record appearance maker with 172. Well she's not, she the women's and Peter Shilton is for the men. They aren't playing for the same team or the continuation of the same team and aren't competing with each other. The women's game is different, and has a different set up, there may be more chance to get more caps.

Never gets done with any other records, we don't ignore the faster women's 100ms because Usain Bolt was quicker. We have a mens record and women's record.

Yes. I agree. There seems to be a tendency to force the issue. There is no such problem when talking about womens tennis or athletics etc. I guess it's because other sports are longer established at the highest professional level. We can agree that if talking about a female Wimbledon champion you know that they have played in the same arenas with same intensity as the men.

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Exactly this. We're comfortable making a distinction when it comes to tennis, athletics, swimming, cycling etc where women's events are more established and already have a lot more parity. I'm just not quite sure why they've decided the best way to promote the women's game when it comes to football is act like the two are one and same? 

If anything it just feels like it invites unfair and unrealistic comparisons. 

Oh sorry just posted about the same so sorry to repeat. 

13 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I get the "bacon from free range pigs" etc. but "and a freshly cracked egg"? Really?

It's to differentiate from the liquid eggs they used to use in bagels/wraps that managed to pick up the same conspiracy theory nonsense as the fries. :dunno:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Possibly trying to clear up the fact that the folded eggs used for the old breakfast bagels weren't, back when I used to work there. Eggs for muffins have always been freshly cracked though.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Really Jon, you reckon!? lol

🤷

I'm not suggesting they do, I just find it awkward and very forced the need to try and equate the two as interchangeable and I'm not convinced pretending there's zero difference between men and women's football is the best way to promote equality in the sport, or life. 

Yes I know :) , it is a bit painful overall.  I would be quite happy with a split of Mens and Womens football on BBC sport etc.

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

But then equally you can't hold people accountable without substantial evidence.. so I guess in these cases it's best not to speculate at all?

This is the idea that I'm arguing against. It's an internet forum for football fans, we're always going to make some assertions or speculations based on all sorts of things, some wildly speculative, some not.

11 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

It’s June tomorrow and the weather is shite. I thought climate change is meant to make us warmer!

... would you like a serious and considered answer to this point or would that not be necessary in this particular thread?

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

... would you like a serious and considered answer to this point or would that not be necessary in this particular thread?

No, I'm just thoroughly brassed of with this cool and unsettled weather. What I would like is reasonably high pressure light winds and 21 -24 degrees. Not too much to ask for considering it's Summer.

5 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Yes. I agree. There seems to be a tendency to force the issue. There is no such problem when talking about womens tennis or athletics etc. I guess it's because other sports are longer established at the highest professional level. We can agree that if talking about a female Wimbledon champion you know that they have played in the same arenas with same intensity as the men.

It's because there's an agenda. 

We MUST believe the two sports top be equal. 

It has the opposite effect on loads of people though. I remember watching the women's world cup a year or two back the commentator said 'this is EVERY BIT as good as the men's game'. 

It wasn't. It was a stinking passage of play that would have been, in the men's game, been around league 2 level. 

I didn't mind watching it given that they're two very different versions of the same sport until the commentator started being overtly false in an attempt to change my mind about the reality I was seeing and I changed the channel to watch some other crap. 

The sport might well benefit from the media not outright pretending there's a conflation between the men and the women. 

There isn't. Years and years of overinvestment in the male side of the game have ensured that the male players are light years ahead at the minute. And that's fine to admit. 

Trying to pretend like there are any real or material comparisons is, at best, disingenuous. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

No, I'm just thoroughly brassed of with this cool and unsettled weather. What I would like is reasonably high pressure light winds and 21 -24 degrees. Not too much to ask for considering it's Summer.

Summer in the northern hemisphere officially starts on 21st June.

• Like 1