Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

22 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It's because there's an agenda. 

We MUST believe the two sports top be equal. 

It has the opposite effect on loads of people though. I remember watching the women's world cup a year or two back the commentator said 'this is EVERY BIT as good as the men's game'. 

It wasn't. It was a stinking passage of play that would have been, in the men's game, been around league 2 level. 

I didn't mind watching it given that they're two very different versions of the same sport until the commentator started being overtly false in an attempt to change my mind about the reality I was seeing and I changed the channel to watch some other crap. 

The sport might well benefit from the media not outright pretending there's a conflation between the men and the women. 

There isn't. Years and years of overinvestment in the male side of the game have ensured that the male players are light years ahead at the minute. And that's fine to admit. 

Trying to pretend like there are any real or material comparisons is, at best, disingenuous. 

I agree. I don't want to be anti the womens game but this false accolade is a bit of a nonsense. I don't feel watching women cyclists or athletes is an inferior version. I can enjoy the sport every bit as much as the blokes. I fear that trying to kid us rebounds on how we feel about it.

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

No, I'm just thoroughly brassed of with this cool and unsettled weather. What I would like is reasonably high pressure light winds and 21 -24 degrees. Not too much to ask for considering it's Summer.

Who do you want to ask?

2 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

I agree. I don't want to be anti the womens game but this false accolade is a bit of a nonsense. I don't feel watching women cyclists or athletes is an inferior version. I can enjoy the sport every bit as much as the blokes. I fear that trying to kid us rebounds on how we feel about it.

Women's football will take decades to even be close to equal to the men's game and even then it just won't be the same. Without any sexism on my part, the women's game will always lack the physicality, intensity and pace of the men's. The enthusiasm and desire to win will be as strong as the men's game but football for me, there always seems to be something underwhelming watching women's .

Absolutely there should be women's football at the highest level, but as a spectacle it's lacking. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

No, I'm just thoroughly brassed of with this cool and unsettled weather. What I would like is reasonably high pressure light winds and 21 -24 degrees. Not too much to ask for considering it's Summer.

Unfortunately (as a brief summation), one consequence of climate change is this kind of unpredictability in terms of weather patterns.

WRT women's football, it's clearly far behind the upper echelons of the men's game in quality.

However, I'm drawn to remember that there was a time that women's football was much more popular than men's football and drew in big crowds. And then the powers that be killed it, because hey, we can't have something where women are doing better than men, can we?

Perhaps that's an injustice that could do with being addressed. But yes, the game itself needs to grow organically, as much as it can.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Hey? We’ve just had weeks of high pressure light winds and temperatures of 18-24 degrees.This weeks rain is quite welcome.

I always find it interesting that the first day of summer coincides with the summer solstice. Which basically means that summer only consists of days getting shorter. 

Same with winter. Officially the days only get longer during winter. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Unfortunately (as a brief summation), one consequence of climate change is this kind of unpredictability in terms of weather patterns.

Interestly and I’m quoting the bbc here so don’t shoot the messenger. But on the queen’s coronation day the temperature recorded was 10.6 deg. So maybe I shouldn’t be complaining. 

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

I always find it interesting that the first day of summer coincides with the summer solstice. Which basically means that summer only consists of days getting shorter. 

Same with winter. Officially the days only get longer during winter. 

The days get longer until 21 June don't they?

18 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Interestly and I’m quoting the bbc here so don’t shoot the messenger. But on the queen’s coronation day the temperature recorded was 10.6 deg. So maybe I shouldn’t be complaining. 

Yep. And around ten years later was one of the most brutal winters the UK has experienced in recorded memory.

• Like 1

Client is on his third polite reminder to pay me. Never needed more than a single prompt in the past, any of them.

Bills have wiped me out and I need that cash in before next week’s DDs go out. Spitting nails at the moment. 

29 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Client is on his third polite reminder to pay me. Never needed more than a single prompt in the past, any of them.

Bills have wiped me out and I need that cash in before next week’s DDs go out. Spitting nails at the moment. 

Time to send the boys round...

Guest Kopfkino

Haven’t been as infuriated by a ‘small’ thing in a long while 

There can’t be anyone that wouldn’t prefer the colour and life of the left to the right, although the abomination lots of people turn their garden into might say otherwise . Yet councils up and down the land continue to do this all summer long . It’s a mound next to a car park, absolutely no need to take away a food source for a whole host of insects and therefore also birds. If only people could muster the same energy to oppose this as they do to building houses on already dead, industrial farmland because it’s ‘pretty’. Maddening.

On 01/06/2022 at 08:21, leicsmac said:

WRT women's football, it's clearly far behind the upper echelons of the men's game in quality.

However, I'm drawn to remember that there was a time that women's football was much more popular than men's football and drew in big crowds. And then the powers that be killed it, because hey, we can't have something where women are doing better than men, can we?

Perhaps that's an injustice that could do with being addressed. But yes, the game itself needs to grow organically, as much as it can.

Wasn't that because the men where at war?  Its not that unreasonable to expect if you go off to fight in WW1 you come back to some form of normality, instead of the women taking all of the jobs.

24 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Wasn't that because the men where at war?  Its not that unreasonable to expect if you go off to fight in WW1 you come back to some form of normality, instead of the women taking all of the jobs.

Two points here:

From what I can tell on the topic the popularity didn't decline until 1921 when the FA essentially banned the sport and said "get back in the house", and even if the above *were* the case I'm sure better solutions existed than relegating women who wanted to play professional football to "Children, Kitchen, Church" again.

Having several pairs of sunglasses stolen (shoplifted) from our Air Ambulance charity shop yesterday.

Typical modus operandi, kids and one adult distract staff member, then suddenly say thanks and leave. 

I'm not risking anyone's wrath by openly stating their background, but let's say I wouldn't let those feckers tarmac my drive. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1