Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 31/05/2022 at 12:32, Stuntman_Mike said:

Screenshot_20220531-122749.png

I got this email as well as a number of others from companies saying the same thing. I kind of get the sentiment and the thinking behind it, but it's basically them saying "Listen we're going to be sending out emails about Father's Day so here's an email about those Father's Day emails to see if you do or don't want to hear about Father's Day."

• Like 1

The state of the NHS. My mum had a fall and has broken her hip. We waited 7 hours for an ambulance and now god knows how

much longer in A&E. 

Problem is there’s no one to have a go at. it’s obviously not the operators’ fault and the paramedics were great. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

The state of the NHS. My mum had a fall and has broken her hip. We waited 7 hours for an ambulance and now god knows how

much longer in A&E. 

Problem is there’s no one to have a go at. it’s obviously not the operators’ fault and the paramedics were great. 

Agree it’s a shambles 

12 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

much longer in A&E. 

My Grandmother had an incident at her home a couple of months ago (in Cheshire), and had to wait 3 hours after my Grandfather called the NHS.

Believe it or not, the paramedics arrived in a black cab at midnight and took her to the hospital in it..

Edited by Wymsey

39 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

much longer in A&E. 

I wonder what percentage of calls to the ambulance service are, at best, unnecessary or, at worst, downright malicious? Therefore, causing delays to these genuine cases.

Perhaps @Parafoxwould recall?

In my professional role, I was once referred a guy who would call the service up to 4, even 5 times/day!

We tried to support him to end this but I eventually became exasperated by his continuing behaviour and asked the service, why don't you prosecute him?

Ironically,  a few weeks after I concluded working with him, I needed an ambulance and had to wait 'only' 4 hours. They even called to ask my wife if there was any way I could get myself to the LRI. They never asked the sod I had just been involved with to do that.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

12 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

much longer in A&E. 

12 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I wonder what percentage of calls to the ambulance service are, at best, unnecessary or, at worst, downright malicious? Therefore, causing delays to these genuine cases.

Perhaps @Parafoxwould recall?

In my professional role, I was once referred a guy who would call the service up to 4, even 5 times/day!

We tried to support him to end this but I eventually became exasperated by his continuing behaviour and asked the service, why don't you prosecute him?

Ironically,  a few weeks after I concluded working with him, I needed an ambulance and had to wait 'only' 4 hours. They even called to ask my wife if there was any way I could get myself to the LRI. They never asked the sod I had just been involved with to do that.

I would say maybe 10% of calls didn't need an emergency response but still needed a face to face assessment by clinical professional. Usually that would be a paramedic solo responder thereby not committing a crewed ambulance. 

Malicious calls weren't that common but there were several "frequent fliers" who knew the system and what type of call would get a response i.e. chest pains, difficulty in breathing. These callers were generally those with mental health issues, the lonely elderly or the just plain stupid. There was a guy in Ashby who would call, be assessed and discharged on scene then call again within a couple of hours always with chest pains which had to get a 999 response. I once went to him and discharged him on scene and he called back before I'd even got off the estate! He had social worker support as he had MH issues but eventually he was prosecuted for misuse of the emergency services. IIRC he spent 4 weeks in prison. On discharge he was moved to Coalville were he was given a place not far from the ambulance station. He then stopped calling but would regularly rock up at the station asking for an ambulance. Eventually he got moved on.

The situation now is that the ambulance service has developed alternative pathways for people who don't need A&E but do need treatment or support within the community such as people prone to falls, those with long term health issues that are already receiving treatment. The intent is to relieve pressure on the hospital  but for whatever reason, it doesn't to be that effective.

There is definitely a big rise in demand for ambulances and the reason for delays at hospital is down to the flow through the department. Patients that need admitting are having to wait in A&E for a bed to become available. This can take hours due to lack of suitable places to discharge patients to: Community Hospitals are full, care homes rarely have capacity or simply that the patients home conditions are unsuitable.

This backlog filters down to ambulances waiting outside A&E to offload unless its a serious or life-threatening condition. This means crews are tied up for hours and therefore unable to respond to 999 calls.

I was talking to an ex-colleague on Tuesday and he told me that they got their first shout at the start of the shift, they were at hospital within an hour and that's where they spent the entire rest of their shift, waiting to offload. 11+ hours. A 5-6 hour wait is becoming the norm now.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Parafox said:

A 5-6 hour wait is becoming the norm now.

:unsure:

I mentioned in my post that I needed an ambulance and when the paramedics arrived they said they needed to take me straight to LRI, asap!

I asked what the delay at A&E would be like and they said I would be straight in as it was urgent. :blink:

So, reassurance for anyone reading, once you are assessed as in urgent need, things do seem to still happen quickly thereafter.

Fortunately for me, an overnight stay and a shed load of med then, and now, meant a near complete and quick recovery.

• Like 2

When I was young never thought about my accent much. When I met my wife who is not

posh but talks for want of a better word properly. She quickly pointed out my "cockney" accent. I become more aware of it when say in Leicester. I think regional accents are to be celebrated. Part of the rich tapestry of our country. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

In support of @BenTheFox,  I have definitely heard people say “rum” for “room”.  Can’t remember who or when though, or how far south I was at the time. 

I did - my parents do. When we moved to Leicester, kids at school remorselessly ripped the piss out of me for it, to such an extent that it was traumatically purged from my speech. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

When I was young never thought about my accent much. When I met my wife who is not

posh but talks for want of a better word properly. She quickly pointed out my "cockney" accent. I become more aware of it when say in Leicester. I think regional accents are to be celebrated. Part of the rich tapestry of our country. 

It's mad really just how much accents change over a short distance in this country.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

It's mad really just how much accents change over a short distance in this country.

Even though it's continually in flux, particularly with the relentless tide of Estuarine English, I've always thought it would make a fascinating study - geographically mapping out the origins, transition, extent and the gradual changes over time and spatially. Historically, peasants bound to the land during feudalism would have evolved different forms of speech to the next manor - and before that, lacking mobility would have developed differing nuances to those in the next hamlet over the hill. You can really detect that in Leicestershire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I did - my parents do. When we moved to Leicester, kids at school remorselessly ripped the piss out of me for it, to such an extent that it was traumatically purged from my speech. 

My parents moved me from the south to the midlands when I was at junior school, and I was also mocked for my accent, my southern accent was deemed to be 'posh', although I definitely wasn't! 

I don't really like the way my children pronounce things like bath and grass, but I vowed never to try to change the way they spoke from the local accent after what I went through. 

The rum and room thing is down to the difference between the pronunciation of the vowel sounds? I say 'up' whereas my children say something more resembling 'oop', obviously not quite like that, but I guess that's where the rum and room thing comes from. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

My parents moved me from the south to the midlands when I was at junior school, and I was also mocked for my accent, my southern accent was deemed to be 'posh', although I definitely wasn't! 

I don't really like the way my children pronounce things like bath and grass, but I vowed never to try to change the way they spoke from the local accent after what I went through. 

The rum and room thing is down to the difference between the pronunciation of the vowel sounds? I say 'up' whereas my children say something more resembling 'oop', obviously not quite like that, but I guess that's where the rum and room thing comes from. 

We've lived down south for 20 years and thankfully my Leicester accent has mellowed a bit.

My kids were born down here so speak posh and say barth and parth and take the piss out of me for saying bath and path.

I keep telling them there's no 'r' in bath or path but they won't have it.

Weirdos

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

When I hear southerners pronounce 'up' I hear it as 'ap'

11 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Also, I have been trying to learn to speak German over the past few years and the 'er' sound tripped me up for a while. It is supposed to be pronounced like 'air', but at first I was like 'uuurrrr'. I think it's because there are a lot of 'uurrr' sounds in a Leicester accent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

When I hear southerners pronounce 'up' I hear it as 'ap'

Weird how the same words can sound so different in the same language! 

I just hear it as 'up', but to me, like I said, it's more of an 'oop' sound to me when I hear northerners. 

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

Also, I have been trying to learn to speak German over the past few years and the 'er' sound tripped me up for a while. It is supposed to be pronounced like 'air', but at first I was like 'uuurrrr'. I think it's because there are a lot of 'uurrr' sounds in a Leicester accent. 

Yeah the 'er' sound in a Leicester accent is definitely very special! 

My husband is from Hampshire but his parents are Londoners. He's never lived in London but to me he sounds like a slightly watered down Danny Dyer lol

• Haha 2

My accent comes and goes depending where i am or who im talking to. when i moved to leicester as a teenager the southern accent was quicky bullied out of me and i went full midlander for a while, but moving back down south the reverse happened and i reverted to "normal". but if i spend a decent amount of time around northerners, elements of the accent will come back quite naturally

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Me neither really, but got told by a Londoner I met yesterday that my Northamptonshire accent makes me sound Australian. It's really been making me think today about how I sound when I say things lol 

Also my voice sounds much better in my head than when I've heard it played back. I think Who the hell is that! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

With you on that one! I always wonder if people think I sound like I do in my head or how I do on video lol 

It's weird as well how some people can sound completely different on video, and then some sound the exact same as they do in real life. 

The bloke I see instead of me on video is some whiney voiced horrible imposter. Perhaps there is fault with the recording equipment