Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 09/08/2022 at 17:54, String fellow said:

1) I was, of course, referring to the classified results slot.

2) Because they could easily hire someone half his age for half his salary.

Why is hiring someone half his age desirable?

5 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Why is hiring someone half his age desirable?

Firstly, football is mainly played by folk half his age. Secondly, as I've already hinted, is the salary issue. As a public service broadcaster, imo the BBC shouldn't being paying someone more every year than the average person earns in their entire working life mainly to just read from an autocue in a studio once a week, when the job could be done just as well for fraction of the cost by someone from a younger generation. The graphics change every season, the pundits move on, and the commentators hang up their mics after a while, but Gary just goes on and on. What's his secret? Well, affability is goes a long way in this world and he's turned it into a brand, concealing what has to be an enomous ego so successfully that he's become a national treasure, for which I both admire him and, paradoxically, want to box his ears!  

O2's Indian call centre can go royally do one.

Over a week from having my GiffGaff phone stolen and I'm still locked out of my O2 iPad. contract account - and every conversation is fraught as they think I want to cancel my O2 contract phone and report it stolen.

All I need is for them to replace the associated mobile number on the iPad account with the contract phone number. This really shouldn't be a tough ask.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2022 at 14:33, Daggers said:

O2's Indian call centre can go royally do one.

Over a week from having my GiffGaff phone stolen and I'm still locked out of my O2 iPad. contract account - and every conversation is fraught as they think I want to cancel my O2 contract phone and report it stolen.

All I need is for them to replace the associated mobile number on the iPad account with the contract phone number. This really shouldn't be a tough ask.

I'm sure it'll be down to language misunderstanding.

I had a similar headache with Virgin. The English/accent of the guy at their call centre was truly bad.

What didn't help was I had been offered a deal a month earlier that I had accepted but it didn't materialise on my bill.

Fortunately I had an email confirming the deal but this fella was not having it.

'Sorry mate, not possible you have this deal'.

'I have an email confirmation.  Give me your email address and I'll forward it'. says I.

'Do you want to cancel mate?'

'Eh? I want the deal I was offered.

We went around in circle for bloody ages.

I told an Asian colleague at work that I'll make sure he's at hand next time.

10 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I'm sure it'll be down to language misunderstanding.

I had a similar headache with Virgin. The English/accent of the guy at their call centre was truly bad.

What didn't help was I had been offered a deal a month earlier that I had accepted but it didn't materialise on my bill.

Fortunately I had an email confirming the deal but this fella was not having it.

'Sorry mate, not possible you have this deal'.

'I have an email confirmation.  Give me your email address and I'll forward it'. says I.

'Do you want to cancel mate?'

'Eh? I want the deal I was offered.

We went around in circle for bloody ages.

I told an Asian colleague at work that I'll make sure he's at hand next time.

I'd have taken the cancellation. its so hard to get to that point

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beliall said:

I'd have taken the cancellation. its so hard to get to that point

Easier said than done!

He said, 'You can cancel but will be charged for remaining period'

Me, ' Err no. You've put the price up and your letter states I can cancel without penalty. In anycase, I just want the offer I was previously given.'

Anyway, I did finally get the offer  had been previously given..:scarf:

• Like 1

Trying to get through to Virgin Media to cancel my fibre (contract ends in a month and then price skyrockets), have had multiple outages over the last couple of months and keep getting kicked off Xbox games (and it never happens when I switch to using phone hotspot, so must be a problem with the internet)

Got through after being on hold for 20 minutes, then the guy on the line said his computer had logged out so he'd call me right back. That was 20 minutes ago, so now I'm in the fvcking queue again with the most irritating hold music. Their customer service used to be great, what the hell happened?

On the same page, going to switch to either Vodafone or Now Broadband as their prices are both very good (and Vodafone are offering a £120 gift card atm) - has anyone used either of these before and were they ok? Trustpilot etc are largely useless for reviews for this kind of thing as people only tend to leave reviews when they've had bad service, so all broadband providers tend to average 2-3 out of 5 for customer satisfaction

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Trying to get through to Virgin Media to cancel my fibre (contract ends in a month and then price skyrockets), have had multiple outages over the last couple of months and keep getting kicked off Xbox games (and it never happens when I switch to using phone hotspot, so must be a problem with the internet)

Got through after being on hold for 20 minutes, then the guy on the line said his computer had logged out so he'd call me right back. That was 20 minutes ago, so now I'm in the fvcking queue again with the most irritating hold music. Their customer service used to be great, what the hell happened?

On the same page, going to switch to either Vodafone or Now Broadband as their prices are both very good (and Vodafone are offering a £120 gift card atm) - has anyone used either of these before and were they ok? Trustpilot etc are largely useless for reviews for this kind of thing as people only tend to leave reviews when they've had bad service, so all broadband providers tend to average 2-3 out of 5 for customer satisfaction

I generally find Vodafone pretty decent.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I cancelled my service with them this week (£34.99 a month). They said they could do me £50 a month instead of the £70 they were going to charge. I said no. She puts me on hold for about 15 mins to put the cancellation through. I then got the imaginary manager chat line “oh actually we’ll do it for the same price” I said I can get a 3 Hub for £10 a month for 6 months. She said oh fair enough go and do that we can’t beat it. 

Next day I get a phone call saying that in the last 24 hours there’s a special deal that’s gone live and they can beat any quote I’ve been given. I told them a 3 5G hub for £10 for 6 months then £20 a month after…..bloke just put the phone down lol 

14 minutes ago, Manini said:

Bloke on the radio 1 quiz has just said the capital of Germany is Munich. That’s done me that has. 

Tbf I reckon if you asked a lot of people they'd say that

In fact, I'd imagine the majority would get the capitals of Brazil, Australia, New Zealand and Turkey wrong too because they're not really what you'd expect (based on popularity)

Edited by Stuntman_Mike

6 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Tbf I reckon if you asked a lot of people they'd say that

In fact, I'd imagine the majority would get the capitals of Brazil, Australia and Turkey wrong too because they're not really what you'd expect based on popularity.

Brazil, Australia and Turkey are known to be confusing ones for reasons you’ve mentioned and the fact that the capitals in some of those countries aren’t the biggest cities. 

I feel like Berlin is a very obvious one. It’s like somebody saying Manchester is the capital of England. 

Edited by Manini

39 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I generally find Vodafone pretty decent.

Cheers, Virgin gave me a good renewal price in the end, plus when I was on the phone I looked at the small print for the other packages - I get a genuine 100Mbps+ pretty much all the time with Virgin, all the other providers in my area claim to offer 65Mbps but only guarantee 25-30 so working from home (and having to download/upload sometimes several GB files) my hand was sort of forced. I'll bear Vodafone in mind next time my contract is up though

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Cheers, Virgin gave me a good renewal price in the end, plus when I was on the phone I looked at the small print for the other packages - I get a genuine 100Mbps+ pretty much all the time with Virgin, all the other providers in my area claim to offer 65Mbps but only guarantee 25-30 so working from home (and having to download/upload sometimes several GB files) my hand was sort of forced. I'll bear Vodafone in mind next time my contract is up though

I was with virgin and moved to sky. The difference in customer service is amazing. The product is also better and cheaper 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I was with virgin and moved to sky. The difference in customer service is amazing. The product is also better and cheaper 

Like the others though, Sky only offer 65Mbps where I live (and only guaranteed for 30 or so), if it was the lower end of that I'd really notice the drop. But yeah Virgin's customer service has nosedived in recent years

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Like the others though, Sky only offer 65Mbps where I live (and only guaranteed for 30 or so), if it was the lower end of that I'd really notice the drop. But yeah Virgin's customer service has nosedived in recent years

Guessing Open Reach haven't rolled out Fibre yet, hence why Virgin are able to offer the better speeds. Open Reach are stopping copper services by 2025 so you should start to see better speeds from others as well, possibly by the next time you renew.

• Like 1

Those Instagram or YouTube Shorts videos where something mildly funny happens and there's a man or woman behind the camera laughing as if they smoke 1000 cigarettes a day. I don't know why but it's that fake/weird laughter that drives me up the wall.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Those Instagram or YouTube Shorts videos where something mildly funny happens and there's a man or woman behind the camera laughing as if they smoke 1000 cigarettes a day. I don't know why but it's that fake/weird laughter that drives me up the wall.

This is very niche but you're right. Extremely annoying. 

• Thanks 1