Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

25 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

People who don't drive in a bus lane during times when you are allowed to and then cut you up at the end of it. READ THE BLOODY SIGNS! 

A6 into Loughborough is infuriating, so many morons in the wrong lane, doing 35mph in a 50mph zone and then slamming the brakes on when they see the speed camera which is clearly pointed at traffic going the opposite way

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What's happened to what used to be local media. There's a story that seems to have been picked up by most of the regional newspaper websites about a not unattractive 'nurse' who is furious about an order of Nachos from Subway not having any cheese on it and being offered a refund of 78p or something. I know the idea is that we're supposed to be livid about what a non story it is, so we share it and say 'isn't this bollocks, what a stupid cow' etc to generate hits but it's that this is a BUSINESS MODEL rather than the story that grinds my gears

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What's happened to what used to be local media. There's a story that seems to have been picked up by most of the regional newspaper websites about a not unattractive 'nurse' who is furious about an order of Nachos from Subway not having any cheese on it and being offered a refund of 78p or something. I know the idea is that we're supposed to be livid about what a non story it is, so we share it and say 'isn't this bollocks, what a stupid cow' etc to generate hits but it's that this is a BUSINESS MODEL rather than the story that grinds my gears

Imagine if there was actual news to read that's quite important!

Silly isn't it, local press has gone to shit. Any website for a local newspaper opens so many pop-ups, I just don't even bother. 

As someone who studied journalism at uni, it's pretty depressing. 

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Imagine if there was actual news to read that's quite important!

Silly isn't it, local press has gone to shit. Any website for a local newspaper opens so many pop-ups, I just don't even bother. 

As someone who studied journalism at uni, it's pretty depressing. 

It's that it's deliberately so rubbish that makes it sad

• Like 1

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's that it's deliberately so rubbish that makes it sad

Sadly it's clickbait and advertising revenue. 

The Mercury and likes of them can't survive without it. 

Gone are the days you'd pay 25p for a local paper with real journalism and stories that are relevant.

Quite sad that there are talented people to write relevant things, but the world has moved on.

Being interested in that form of media myself, I always thought there should have been a challenger to the Mercury, which was a bit of a monopoly in Leicestershire. 

How times change! 

12 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Sadly it's clickbait and advertising revenue. 

The Mercury and likes of them can't survive without it. 

Gone are the days you'd pay 25p for a local paper with real journalism and stories that are relevant.

Quite sad that there are talented people to write relevant things, but the world has moved on.

Being interested in that form of media myself, I always thought there should have been a challenger to the Mercury, which was a bit of a monopoly in Leicestershire. 

How times change! 

34 minutes ago, The Bear said:

It's essentially the TalkSport model. Getting people irate enough to click/call. Like Tom says it's all about ad money. 

It's just sad how little money and interest there seems to be in actual journalism

On 07/10/2022 at 09:13, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's just sad how little money and interest there seems to be in actual journalism

You only have to look at the dismay whenever an outlet has the temerity to put an article behind a "paywall" to see the level of enthusiasm the general public has for journalism, and indeed journalists. I'm sure there are examples but off the top of my head I can't think of any other products that people expect to be of a consistently high quality but also available for free.

43 minutes ago, Guest said:

You only have to look at the dismay whenever an outlet has the temerity to put an article behind a "paywall" to see the level of enthusiasm the general public has for journalism, and indeed journalists. I'm sure there are examples but off the top of my head I can't think of any other products that people expect to be of a consistently high quality but also available for free.

No matter how "gutter" the press is, they need funding somehow. So, you either accept the paywall or go out and buy a physical newspaper. You can't have it both ways.

That said, Leicester Mercury online is absolute dog shite. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim'llFixIt said:

What on earth have they done wrong?

54 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Spoiler alerts.

@Voll Blau was only on episode three.

Thats all I can think of? Unless he likes his meat well done? In which case, you're a worse person than Dahmer lol

Haha, medium rare for me!

Seriously, who thinks cannibalism is an acceptable topic of discussion while strangers are trying to eat in a public restaurant within earshot of you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Seriously, who thinks cannibalism is an acceptable topic of discussion while strangers are trying to eat in a public restaurant within earshot of you?

It's their conversation, leave them to it mate, can't be letting them ruin your meal over it

1 minute ago, Tim'llFixIt said:

It's their conversation, leave them to it mate, can't be letting them ruin your meal over it

Yeah, stop earwigging, you nosey tw@t lol

Joking. Totally know the sort. You wish you couldn't hear their conversation. 

You were lucky though, its normally about their Kylie having her 6th child.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Yeah, stop earwigging, you nosey tw@t lol

Joking. Totally know the sort. You wish you couldn't hear their conversation. 

You were lucky though, its normally about their Kylie having her 6th child.

The two women in the party had been discussing their respective experiences of birth before turning to Dahmer. If it had been an average carvery I wouldn't have been so wound up, but this gaff does a quality roast.

• Like 1