Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Football matches kicking off needlessly late. Went to a non league game today and calculated that if it kicked off on time we'd miss possibly a minute or two of injury time to catch transport. We started 6 minutes late and missed two goals because of it. 

It was one sided so the goals made no difference but on another occasion it might not have ben. Get a move on and start on time. Everyone was there and had warmed up. 

31 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

People getting pissy over bands like Arctic Monkey's changing their style as if they owe people something.

You like their old stuff, you don't like their new stuff, cool.

I agree. In general. 

But bands are generally successful because of their original style. Not all of them can successfully change and still maintain the same appeal. 

Personally I get annoyed when I listen to a new album and it's radically different to the reason I liked the band in the first place. It's almost as though they are piggybacking off  their success to try out a load of experimental rubbish because they know that people will buy it unsuspectingly. 

I'm all for artistic progression, but sometimes the artists are so far up their own arses they think they NEED to change and end up sounding like stuff I used to hear from 6th form bands. 

• Haha 1

Speaking of bands, I was reading about 'hot new bands' (one person's recommendations I expect) and clicking the links to listen... talk about soundalike! Further, seemed to me like they all wanted to be the (new?) aforementioned Arctic Monkeys! 

I'm all for bands following their desires and ending up in different places, even if I don't like those places myself. More than creativity, I call it honesty, or individuality. I want to hear that, I like to hear that. It's exciting. Someone just copying a sound doesn't do it for me.

On 22/10/2022 at 18:57, Corky said:

Football matches kicking off needlessly late. Went to a non league game today and calculated that if it kicked off on time we'd miss possibly a minute or two of injury time to catch transport. We started 6 minutes late and missed two goals because of it. 

It was one sided so the goals made no difference but on another occasion it might not have ben. Get a move on and start on time. Everyone was there and had warmed up. 

niche but you're right, very annoying

20 hours ago, The Bear said:

I agree. In general. 

But bands are generally successful because of their original style. Not all of them can successfully change and still maintain the same appeal. 

Personally I get annoyed when I listen to a new album and it's radically different to the reason I liked the band in the first place. It's almost as though they are piggybacking off  their success to try out a load of experimental rubbish because they know that people will buy it unsuspectingly. 

I'm all for artistic progression, but sometimes the artists are so far up their own arses they think they NEED to change and end up sounding like stuff I used to hear from 6th form bands. 

For me, the truly talented do change their style. It’s a bit daft to still be doing angsty punk about fancying someone at the club when you’re 45. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I know exactly what you mean.

I heard a new song on the radio the other day. I'd never heard of the singer but I felt like I'd heard that voice 1,000 times before.

It’s so weird isn’t it? Like when did it start? I know I probably sound old, and that new music “isn’t for me” but that voice/accent thing, they all sound exactly the same. There’s a lot of good music around at the moment too, I’m not a complete Luddite haha, but in general, the more mainstream stuff is just identikit. And they all do “that voice”. I think I blame Mumford and Sons. 

21 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

#Seeing you dressed all in White

#The way you held my wood really tight

#Can't wait 'til next Thursday afternoon

#You really do look alright.

Nice  👍

Especially good use of the “wood” reference 

I’ve worked on 50 Cent’s big hit to make it more accessible to a wider audience by just inserting the word in bold 

You can find me in the bowls club, bottle full of bub'
Look, mami, I got the X, if you into takin' drugs
I'm into havin' sex, I ain't into makin' love
So come give me a hug, if you into getting rubbed

Might need a bit more work mind. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

It’s so weird isn’t it? Like when did it start? I know I probably sound old, and that new music “isn’t for me” but that voice/accent thing, they all sound exactly the same. There’s a lot of good music around at the moment too, I’m not a complete Luddite haha, but in general, the more mainstream stuff is just identikit. And they all do “that voice”. I think I blame Mumford and Sons. 

If it’s the one I have in mind - the scratchy, anguished tone? It sounds awful.

Just about every generation says music nowadays is terrible but the mainstream radio stations are unlistenable imo.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Weather apps that tell you what the weather is going to be before you set out with the dogs - only they are 100% wrong and you get soaked.

Met office is rarely wrong.

I don't trust any of the others as they use weather stations from all over the place. Even the BBC uses a Dutch weather service.

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Weather apps that tell you what the weather is going to be before you set out with the dogs - only they are 100% wrong and you get soaked.

I used to find it always rained at the time of the school run, despite the forecast 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Seeing anybody recording a public event like a football game or a gig takes up way too much space in my head. Boils my piss. 

Especially when there’s about 100 people all doing it at once within 20 feet of each other. 

Agreed. The only explanation I can come up with is that they're mentally ill. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

Agreed. The only explanation I can come up with is that they're mentally ill. 

There’s just something so grating about it. Seeing rows and rows of people watching something through their phones when they’ve paid exorbitant amounts of money to be there. Put the fvcking thing away and enjoy it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I used to find it always rained at the time of the school run, despite the forecast 

Oddly, we usually return just as the cars are starting to amass all around the village. Really caught me out today as I only had shorts and a T-shirt. Dogs loved it mind, so winners and losers.

On 18/10/2022 at 14:20, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I'm a drummer (well formerly, would love to have somewhere to practice). I've lived in semi detached houses for years and never once thought it'd be acceptable to set up the kit in the house. If you have a room that purposely soundproofed for it that's alright but a normal party wall is not going to cut the mustard

If you get on with the neighbours, maybe agree to some acceptable practice times? If not then get the council involved, they will act on it - I used to practice in a shed when I lived with my parents, one of the neighbours got sick of it and we received a threatening letter from the council. Made sure to keep practice quieter from then on

I find it odd that someone taking up the drums wouldn't buy an electric kit. Obviously you need cymbals, snare, hardware etc. for gigging but an electric kit is fine for practicing. 

Being asked at the end of nearly every TV programme if I've been affected by said programme and offering me a helpline.

I know we need to be aware of mental health etc, but do we really need announcements after every programme?

(It may have been applicable after MOTD for us this season).

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I find it odd that someone taking up the drums wouldn't buy an electric kit. Obviously you need cymbals, snare, hardware etc. for gigging but an electric kit is fine for practicing. 

Mmmmm to a point, but as an experienced drummer I did had an electric kit and absolutely hated the feel of it, barely used it as a result. Think you need to spend a fair whack to get the more natural feeling setups

Another option is to have a normal kit but with mesh heads and silent cymbals. That'll feel like a real kit but sound like garbage. There's also the silencer pads but they seem to offer no feedback or bounce to the sticks

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

Being asked at the end of nearly every TV programme if I've been affected by said programme and offering me a helpline.

I know we need to be aware of mental health etc, but do we really need announcements after every programme?

(It may have been applicable after MOTD for us this season).

Yes because not everybody watches every other programme that has such an announcement

They may only ever watch one of them, which hits on an issue they've experienced, and then not watch any of the other programmes.

• Thanks 1