Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

12 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

****ing hate fireworks. They should be banned from the general public.

I don’t mind people going to proper displays, but simpletons setting off shit Catherine wheels is absolutely pointless and scares a lot of animals to death. 

Seems to be a week long thing now. Shite.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I don’t mind people going to proper displays, but simpletons setting off shit Catherine wheels is absolutely pointless and scares a lot of animals to death. 

Normally I'd agree but we did them at home last night for the kids for the first ever time as I couldn't be arsed to go to a display.

Enjoyed it much more than usual.

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

People.

I'll elaborate tomorrow, once the police have cleared stuff up.

Nothing to do with me, but if some fvcker puts my 14 year old step-daughter in danger, I will kill them.

Yeah, even if it is her "dad".

Fuming.

Right. I'll elaborate now. 

The Mrs got a phone call at 1.30am, all we could hear was screaming. 

I've got 3 stepkids, only 1 of them was at their dad's last night.

Him and his partner had both been out, individually and came home and basically tried to kill each other.

We had to go out and pick up Maisie, who'd left the house. And to make it even worse, the dads partner has a 16 year old daughter who we also bought home.

Police attended the house on blue lights as we were driving home.

My Mrs is a social worker and has a duty of care to report anything like this.

She really doesn't want the kids going there anymore. They're old enough to make their own decisions though, but hate going there anyway. 

It's the other girl I feel sorry for. She has no choice but to go back.

She's still at our house and just had Sunday lunch with us. Have we heard from the other so called grown ups to see how the kids are? Have we fvck.

I'm livid.

Edited by tom27111
  • Sad 10

40 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Him and his partner had both been out, individually and came home and basically tried to kill each other.

We had to go out and pick up Maisie, who'd left the house. And to make it even worse, the dads partner has a 16 year old daughter who we also bought home.

She really doesn't want the kids going there anymore. They're old enough to make their own decisions though, but hate going there anyway. 

She's still at our house and just had Sunday lunch with us. Have we heard from the other so called grown ups to see how the kids are? Have we fvck.

I'm livid.

Sorry to hear that. Is the 16 year old's dad about?

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Sorry to hear that. Is the 16 year old's dad about?

Both at home apparently, like nothing happened. The Mrs has just left to drop the girl off and pick up her kids stuff from the weekend. 

There's a crime number and the Mrs has just been on to the police. With the nature if her work, she HAS to raise concerns. (See cases like Baby P)

But the police didn't know there were kids there. To be fair to them, why would you think kids were there if they had the sense to remove themselves from the situation?

We've spoken to our kids about it.

I say 'ours', but I treat them like mine.

They're all good, which is the most important thing.

I'm just worried about the poor girl that's back at her house now.

But I'm just bewildered that we didn't even get a text asking if the kids were OK.

You used to need a license to own a dog, but any cvnt can have a kid.

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

2 hours ago, Corky said:

Seems to be a week long thing now. Shite.

Seems to start around Diwali. Plus NYE at midnight. Which is crap. Go to or watch, the spectacular displays that are broadcast on TV. Fireworks from your back garden are shite and annoying for the neighbours and stressful for pets.

BTW, Aldi have been selling "low noise" fireworks.

Fireworks - ALDI UK

Backyard low key fireworks are perfect for families with young kids, the big displays are expensive and pretty full on, you can end up spending £50 to scare the shit out of your child. 

I do think that any backyard fireworks parties should try to be respectful of neighbours with pets and not buy ridiculously loud fireworks, but ultimately this our only unique nationwide celebration of any real fun and I love it.

If you have pets put classic FM on (they do a special pet calming broadcast on bonfire night) and be thankful you don't live in Valencia (they have a 19 day festival of fireworks with noisy displays at 2 pm everyday that cause deafness and big displays most nights. Google las Fallas if you want to know more).

29 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Backyard low key fireworks are perfect for families with young kids, the big displays are expensive and pretty full on, you can end up spending £50 to scare the shit out of your child. 

I do think that any backyard fireworks parties should try to be respectful of neighbours with pets and not buy ridiculously loud fireworks, but ultimately this our only unique nationwide celebration of any real fun and I love it.

If you have pets put classic FM on (they do a special pet calming broadcast on bonfire night) and be thankful you don't live in Valencia (they have a 19 day festival of fireworks with noisy displays at 2 pm everyday that cause deafness and big displays most nights. Google las Fallas if you want to know more).

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love proper firework displays and I go to the final of the British Firework Championships competition when I can. (Last was at Stanford Hall near Lutterworth).

Absolutely fantastic. That's what people should experience.

Not your fecking £25 box of rubbish from Asda (other supermarkets also sell fireworks) which feels like a premature ejaculation.  Whizz, bang, a few sparks and it's all over and let's have a burger please. (I imagine).

I'm getting more and more rattled by the big companies habits of introducing new processes that don't work... eg

Supermarkets that put in self service tills, then don't trust you because the weight of a bottle is amiss or contains beer....

Helplines that begin "we're sorry, but we are experiencing high volumes of calls so you're in a queue..." Look, you got rid of local branches to save money, so THE LEAST you could do is have the staff online to deal with my query.

Websites that don't trust you because you log on from a different isp,  and make the authentication process ott 

Then, when you actually manage to buy something, or complete your transaction, you are then asked to give feedback/make a review etc. Go and give yourself a big pegging!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

We've spoken to our kids about it.

I say 'ours', but I treat them like mine.

They're all good, which is the most important thing.

I'm just worried about the poor girl that's back at her house now.

But I'm just bewildered that we didn't even get a text asking if the kids were OK.

You used to need a license to own a dog, but any cvnt can have a kid.

I feel for all of the kids who have to deal with parents like that. I hear all kinds of horrible stories from my wife (teacher) about the parents (lack theirof) .

License to have kids sounds about right. I know its over the top but too many shit parents out there who make life about themselves and kids are an after thought. When you have kids, your life is about those kids day in, day out until they can provide for themselves. Even then they are still your kids lol 

Be a grownup ffs!

Keep being a good dad as the kids appreciate it (i am sure).

8 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

I'm getting more and more rattled by the big companies habits of introducing new processes that don't work... eg

Supermarkets that put in self service tills, then don't trust you because the weight of a bottle is amiss or contains beer....

Helplines that begin "we're sorry, but we are experiencing high volumes of calls so you're in a queue..." Look, you got rid of local branches to save money, so THE LEAST you could do is have the staff online to deal with my query.

Websites that don't trust you because you log on from a different isp,  and make the authentication process ott 

Then, when you actually manage to buy something, or complete your transaction, you are then asked to give feedback/make a review etc. Go and give yourself a big pegging!!

This irritates me the most. It is up 24-7 and never taken off. If you have higher than normal call volumes everday 24 hours a day then you are not doing something right you cvnts.

Oh that apology makes me forgive your shit service while i wait for 45 minutes...righttt. just leave elevator music on until a rep answers. Oh and gfy! Lol

Rant done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I'm livid.

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Both at home apparently, like nothing happened. The Mrs has just left to drop the girl off and pick up her kids stuff from the weekend. 

There's a crime number and the Mrs has just been on to the police. With the nature if her work, she HAS to raise concerns. (See cases like Baby P)

But the police didn't know there were kids there. To be fair to them, why would you think kids were there if they had the sense to remove themselves from the situation?

Your Mrs has done the right thing, for sure. Even if she wasn't a social worker, there's still a duty of safeguarding and the responsibility that comes with being a member of the public knowing if a child is in danger then Police should be called.

It's a shame kids have to go back to an environment like that though :(. Horrible to think what can occur behind closed doors before it gets to a point where police are called.

It's good they can go to a safe space like your home to escape that environment. Let's just hope any other social workers and police can make the necessary referrals to ensure the survivor's safety as well as the children's.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Your Mrs has done the right thing, for sure. Even if she wasn't a social worker, there's still a duty of safeguarding and the responsibility that comes with being a member of the public knowing if a child is in danger then Police should be called.

It's a shame kids have to go back to an environment like that though :(. Horrible to think what can occur behind closed doors before it gets to a point where police are called.

It's good they can go to a safe space like your home to escape that environment. Let's just hope any other social workers and police can make the necessary referrals to ensure the survivor's safety as well as the children's.

Thanks mate. I think she'd have done it regardless of her job.

It's unfortunate and almost makes you feel bad for reporting it, but kids should never have to witness stuff like that.

Ours are at home and will never witness anything like that here, I just feel so sorry for the poor girl who has gone back there. 

They're all teenagers and old enough to know what's going on. They'll make their own decisions, with no influence from us.

I've never experienced anything like this before, but I guess it goes on more than you'd think. 

17 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Thanks mate. I think she'd have done it regardless of her job.

It's unfortunate and almost makes you feel bad for reporting it, but kids should never have to witness stuff like that.

Ours are at home and will never witness anything like that here, I just feel so sorry for the poor girl who has gone back there. 

They're all teenagers and old enough to know what's going on. They'll make their own decisions, with no influence from us.

I've never experienced anything like this before, but I guess it goes on more than you'd think. 

It's also worrying that kids who grow up in that environment can go on to have troubled adult lives too. Not everyone, and don't want to sweep everyone under that rug but if they've had that experience from childhood they're brought up thinking it's normal. Thankfully there's are a lot more awareness and signposting and safeguarding help around, especially within schools. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Anything to do with this no more Oil group - plonkers

They are just a consequence of this government going back on their commitments to climate change. Polite political discourse is getting us nowhere the world is getting warmer and the consequences are dire. I'm not defending what they are doing but I do understand why and if you are angry with what they are doing or with workers for striking or with the supermarkets for raising prices then you need to look at the actual cause. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Captain... said:

They are just a consequence of this government going back on their commitments to climate change. Polite political discourse is getting us nowhere the world is getting warmer and the consequences are dire. I'm not defending what they are doing but I do understand why and if you are angry with what they are doing or with workers for striking or with the supermarkets for raising prices then you need to look at the actual cause. 

I just don't think sitting in the road or climbing bridges is a good idea, or chucking soup at paintings or damaging buildings with oil based paint. Literally whats the point.

Edited by Tommy G

3 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I just don't think sitting in the road or climbing bridges is a good idea, or chucking soup at paintings or damaging buildings with oil based paint. Literally whats the point.

You're right, it's pointless.

However, the question remains regarding how best to actually get people onside on this most important topic. Being polite, as per above, hasn't worked well enough fast enough and the clock is ticking.

Let's talk solutions, not about a corollary of the problem.

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Me neither, but something needs to be done and this government is doing everything it can to ban peaceful protests so you need to think of other ways. I've said it before but this is nothing new, protesting the fur trade by throwing red paint on people promoting fur and protesting animal testing by breaking into testing facilities and releasing animals. These have happened in my lifetime raised awareness and resulted in significant change for the better. We'll see if these have any impact or not and I don't fully agree with their methods but I won't condemn those risking their safety and freedom to make a difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

You're right, it's pointless.

However, the question remains regarding how best to actually get people onside on this most important topic. Being polite, as per above, hasn't worked well enough fast enough and the clock is ticking.

Let's talk solutions, not about a corollary of the problem.

Instead of throwing soup at a painting go blow up an oil rig. 

You're welcome, planet.