Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

50 minutes ago, kenny said:

Eco-terrorism is just around the corner. Whats the issue with killing 50 people if it saves billions?

If it was as black and white as that, kill 50 to save billions then would you do it (you can choose the 50)?

I really hope we don't see it escalate to eco terrorism, disruption is one thing but when it leads to people dying you will be doing more harm to your cause than good despite any noble intentions to save the world. I do wonder how much more damage can be done before people snap. I'm thinking more self-immolation than killing sprees and bombs.

In fact it has already happened https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/24/us/politics/climate-activist-self-immolation-supreme-court.html

Whilst the delays caused by Xr protests indirectly lead to at least 1 death.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11339281/Dartford-Bridge-eco-activists-blood-hands-death-two-women-horror-crash.html

There isn't anything to be done that will have any real effect unfortunately. People just don't care enough about it until it actually affects their lives. And governments only care about money and delivering lip service for votes. 

It'll be a worldwide crisis before anything meaningful is done about it. Everything else like the current agreements to only get to a certain temperature rise, or only use such and such amounts of carbon, are worthless in the grand scheme of things. 

That's just human nature unfortunately. Lots of people will die or have their lives irreparably changed. Then something will be done. Rinse and repeat for the rest of human history we have left. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

There isn't anything to be done that will have any real effect unfortunately. People just don't care enough about it until it actually affects their lives. And governments only care about money and delivering lip service for votes. 

It'll be a worldwide crisis before anything meaningful is done about it. Everything else like the current agreements to only get to a certain temperature rise, or only use such and such amounts of carbon, are worthless in the grand scheme of things. 

That's just human nature unfortunately. Lots of people will die or have their lives irreparably changed. Then something will be done. Rinse and repeat for the rest of human history we have left. 

The ironic thing about Stop Oil is the amount of needless fuel waste that their ridiculous disruption causes.

And I bet it pisses you right off in your Tesla, your just sat there like "I'm doing my bit, you cvnts" lol

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The ironic thing about Stop Oil is the amount of needless fuel waste that their ridiculous disruption causes.

And I bet it pisses you right off in your Tesla, your just sat there like "I'm doing my bit, you cvnts" lol

Yeah I assume they'll just wave me through if I ever get held up by them... Cvnts as you say. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

The amount of fuel wasted by this protests is so negligible, but it makes a nice argument for those not willing to consider why it is actually happening. 

But if you want to focus on irrelevant amounts of fuel I will counter with the amount of people who cancelled journeys or chose to use public transport rather than getting caught up in the M25 disruption will more than make up for it.

Anyway, you know what I thought was a real shame, there was a consultation on moving football games to a 1pm kick off so there would be much lower energy usage with floodlights etc not needed. They chose not to. Could you imagine what statement that would have been, the 3pm kick offs are so ingrained in our culture, changing that in the interests of reducing energy usage would have been huge and a reminder every weekend that this being taken seriously.

Instead we plod on relentlessly to our demise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

The amount of fuel wasted by this protests is so negligible, but it makes a nice argument for those not willing to consider why it is actually happening. 

But if you want to focus on irrelevant amounts of fuel I will counter with the amount of people who cancelled journeys or chose to use public transport rather than getting caught up in the M25 disruption will more than make up for it.

Anyway, you know what I thought was a real shame, there was a consultation on moving football games to a 1pm kick off so there would be much lower energy usage with floodlights etc not needed. They chose not to. Could you imagine what statement that would have been, the 3pm kick offs are so ingrained in our culture, changing that in the interests of reducing energy usage would have been huge and a reminder every weekend that this being taken seriously.

Who cancels a journey or makes other arrangements over ad-hoc protests?

These scumbags need locking up.

I totally agree and understand that action needs to be taken, but not how they are. Pissing off the public really doesn't help.

And an interesting point on 3pm kick offs.

Maybe it would make more sense to play football in the summer?

We all loved it in lockdown.

5 hours ago, The Bear said:

Speaking personally I'm not prepared to write off countless millions of lives just because humans seem unable to learn and extend their empathy behind their own line of sight spatially and temporally, because oddly enough that just doesn't sit right...

...however the current empirical evidence certainly supports your outcome rather than mine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Who cancels a journey or makes other arrangements over ad-hoc protests?

These scumbags need locking up.

I totally agree and understand that action needs to be taken, but not how they are. Pissing off the public really doesn't help.

And an interesting point on 3pm kick offs.

Maybe it would make more sense to play football in the summer?

We all loved it in lockdown.

Anyone with Google maps who checks the route before they set off. 

25 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I've never heard that before and had to Google. I will admit to being a little nervous when I did lol

Apologies for the pericombobulation, but I offer my enthusiastic contrafibularities.

3D34DD61-50D0-47AB-A1D6-91D21371A486.jpeg

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Speaking personally I'm not prepared to write off countless millions of lives just because humans seem unable to learn and extend their empathy behind their own line of sight spatially and temporally, because oddly enough that just doesn't sit right...

...however the current empirical evidence certainly supports your outcome rather than mine.

Oh yes I agree completely. I wasn't taking any moral stance, but just stating what I think will happen. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain... said:

Not a bad idea, that. Then move the 12.30 TV game to 3.30 and the 5.30 to 6. Easy. Saves a ton of energy up and down the country throughout the footballing pyramid :thumbup:

I'd no idea it had ever been considered let alone rejected.

19 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Not a bad idea, that. Then move the 12.30 TV game to 3.30 and the 5.30 to 6. Easy. Saves a ton of energy up and down the country throughout the footballing pyramid :thumbup:

I'd no idea it had ever been considered let alone rejected.

It was mainly the EFL and non League clubs considering it as a cost saving exercise, but still, every little helps.

It is interesting when you hear about measures other countries have taken. Germany switched off public fountains, Pakistan minister asked them to drink less tea (economic rather than energy related), I'm sure there are things we could be doing to limit our energy usage. There just seems no appetite for it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It was mainly the EFL and non League clubs considering it as a cost saving exercise, but still, every little helps.

It is interesting when you hear about measures other countries have taken. Germany switched off public fountains, Pakistan minister asked them to drink less tea (economic rather than energy related), I'm sure there are things we could be doing to limit our energy usage. There just seems no appetite for it.

And that leads rather neatly into something relevant for this thread.

People in the UK and elsewhere who think this major problem isn't a problem because it hasn't pivoted upon them personally (yet) grind my gears.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And that leads rather neatly into something relevant for this thread.

People in the UK and elsewhere who think this major problem isn't a problem because it hasn't pivoted upon them personally (yet) grind my gears.

Staggering, isn’t it. I have yet to work out if it’s down to stupidity or selfishness. 

19 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Staggering, isn’t it. I have yet to work out if it’s down to stupidity or selfishness. 

Well, given the breadth of knowledge freely available to practically anyone in the UK on the matter right now, I'm sadly going to have to go with mostly malice rather than ignorance.

Of course, given both motivations end up with the same outcome anyway I'm not overly inclined to differentiate much between the two except in certain circumstances.

It sure as shit can be annoying to be a science communicator these days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Well, given the breadth of knowledge freely available to practically anyone in the UK on the matter right now

As you well know, it doesn't work like that Mac because many have no concept of objectivity, using the internet responsibly as a source of information, nor do they realise that a search engine will return whatever answer you ask it to. Social media and the internet selectively reinforce opinion and beliefs as opposed to dispelling them with fact. Ironically for such a trammelled mindset, they somehow manage in the process to brand themselves as 'free thinkers' whilst the rest of us are all 'sheeple'. 

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

As you well know, it doesn't work like that Mac because many have no concept of objectivity, using the internet responsibly as a source of information, nor do they realise that a search engine will return whatever answer you ask it to. Social media and the internet selectively reinforce opinion and beliefs as opposed to dispelling them with fact. Ironically for such a trammelled mindset, they somehow manage in the process to brand themselves as 'free thinkers' whilst the rest of us are all 'sheeple'. 

Fair points well made.

But yeah, when the result is going to be the same either way it's a bit moot to differentiate much between the two anyway IMO.