Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 28/12/2022 at 00:36, FoyleFox said:

Direct debit processing run would've started early due to the Christmas Bank Holidays, so you'd still be included if you redeemed on the 20th.

That's not going to make you feel better but unfortunately, is the reason. Your mortgage account is closed so it'll refund back to you pretty quick. 

Really?

The direct debit is still open, with a next payment logged in and now minus nearly five hundred quid.

No paperwork received as of yet.

Rang them up again, told me another 7-10 days then they should have everything sorted, here is hoping, hopefully this is the last time I would have had to ring them.

Edited by ithuriel

2 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Really?

The direct debit is still open, with a next payment logged in and now minus nearly five hundred quid.

No paperwork received as of yet.

Rang them up again, told me another 7-10 days then they should have everything sorted, here is hoping, hopefully this is the last time I would have had to ring them.

If the mortgage is definitely cleared and they've taken the DD anyway you can claim it back with an indemnity claim through your bank, and then cancel the DD. 

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If the mortgage is definitely cleared and they've taken the DD anyway you can claim it back with an indemnity claim through your bank, and then cancel the DD. 

The lady on the phone said it was cleared but due to Xmas it was taking time to sort things out and then joked they did not need my money for a Xmas party.

The DD was taken on and went down to minus a couple hundred, then went down to minus near five hundred.

She said it would be refunded and everything would be sorted in 7 to 10 days.

If not, I'm going to go into Santander in town and let them know of my displeasure.

22 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

The lady on the phone said it was cleared but due to Xmas it was taking time to sort things out and then joked they did not need my money for a Xmas party.

The DD was taken on and went down to minus a couple hundred, then went down to minus near five hundred.

She said it would be refunded and everything would be sorted in 7 to 10 days.

If not, I'm going to go into Santander in town and let them know of my displeasure.

Ah OK, so the overpayment doesn't exactly match the amount of the DD? Not as straightforward as claiming the DD back yourself then...

I hope they sort it out for you soon, it's amazing how quick companies are to take money from you, and then how long it takes for them to give it back!

11 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Ah OK, so the overpayment doesn't exactly match the amount of the DD? Not as straightforward as claiming the DD back yourself then...

I hope they sort it out for you soon, it's amazing how quick companies are to take money from you, and then how long it takes for them to give it back!

Well, they've been, hmm not the best to deal with, in the end I had to go into the Haymarket branch and spent about an hour and a half seeing three different people before being asked back the next morning to finally get it sorted.

The lady in the branch apologised for something she said should have been relatively simple and did not seem happy with the guy on the front desk after I told her what he told me, he was not there the next day :dunno:

Think she might have been the branch manager but she was very polite and got things rolling after she became involved.

7 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Well, they've been, hmm not the best to deal with, in the end I had to go into the Haymarket branch and spent about an hour and a half seeing three different people before being asked back the next morning to finally get it sorted.

The lady in the branch apologised for something she said should have been relatively simple and did not seem happy with the guy on the front desk after I told her what he told me, he was not there the next day :dunno:

Think she might have been the branch manager but she was very polite and got things rolling after she became involved.

We binned off Santander for various reasons but the final straw was when a customer advisor we were meeting, needed to get some forms from the printer.

After about 5 mins she hadn't returned, so I asked someone else if they could check where she was.

They came back to say she had gone home - she finishes at 3!

I can laugh about it now but it was bloody annoying at the time.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2022 at 00:12, westernpark said:

It’s a class issue, I think people would be surprised who actually goes hunting in certain community’s, especially the very rural and subsequently poor ones

That's close to a strawman argument. Not that I disagree with you. Class is certainly part of the mix for some. It's entirely possible to be opposed to fox hunting solely because it's a barbaric sport regardless of the class of those participating in it or indeed other forms of barbaric treatment of animals, sport or otherwise. 

On 26/12/2022 at 19:17, Lionator said:

Fox hunting or people who defend it.

It is not a rich man’s activity primarily, a million miles from it. Having a wife who’s father was an estate worker gives me a different viewpoint, and driving hundreds of low paid people onto the dole is all it would achieve.

11 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

I've had it bad since Boxing day, just getting a bit better now.. head was like a cloud, sore throat, blocked nose, shivers yesterday.

Hate to deliver some bad news - hopefully this doesn’t happen to you guys.

I got this the week after Thanksgiving.  Felt a lot better after around a week, but not 100%
Roughly 10 days later, it came back.

12 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

We binned off Santander for various reasons but the final straw was when a customer advisor we were meeting, needed to get some forms from the printer.

After about 5 mins she hadn't returned, so I asked someone else if they could check where she was.

They came back to say she had gone home - she finishes at 3!

I can laugh about it now but it was bloody annoying at the time.

Well, the Mortgage part  of my online banking has now vanished, just waiting for that refund, wondering how long that's going to take?

In the meantime, I'm going to look at other banks and building societies.

11 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Big picture stuff. For many years I've been watching nature programmes - the one big no-no was intervening/interfering to help an animal under observation in any way.

Over the same period (from the fifties to the present) there's been a growing consensus that

…… (to be continued) 

:)

• Haha 1

I've got this bloody flu now also. 

Moved house a week ago, and the stress of that coupled with now this illness has been a nightmare. Knocked me off my feet it has. 

Anyone got the cough? That's the worst, almost like consistent coughing. Help required! 

16 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

Moved house a week ago, and the stress of that coupled with now this illness has been a nightmare. Knocked me off my feet it has. 

Anyone got the cough? That's the worst, almost like consistent coughing. Help required! 

Yep, had it for a few weeks.

I'll have one or two good/better days, and then get struck down and just won't shift.

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Any industry based solely on the torture of animals is an industry that needs shutting down immediately.

So vegans/vegetarian due to the evident poor welfare standards across large portions of the food industry then? As this is a far greater scandal that is willfully ignored at large whilst people wring their hands over a low percentage imagined class sport.

I do not find it an activity that can be condoned, but at the same time recognise there is nuance in it, such as many people's livelihoods, not those of a richer nature, whose fox hunting would continue regardless, it just would not be as evident and as I say, we should all be far more outraged at food standards and the chase to the bottom from the supermarkets.

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So vegans/vegetarian due to the evident poor welfare standards across large portions of the food industry then? As this is a far greater scandal that is willfully ignored at large whilst people wring their hands over a low percentage imagined class sport.

I do not find it an activity that can be condoned, but at the same time recognise there is nuance in it, such as many people's livelihoods, not those of a richer nature, whose fox hunting would continue regardless, it just would not be as evident and as I say, we should all be far more outraged at food standards and the chase to the bottom from the supermarkets.

We can address both issues. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

We all need to eat to live. Nobody needs to torture a fox to do so. It's cruelty for cruelty's sake and needs consigning to the dustbin of history.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mee-9 said:

Yeah the cough and resultant sore throat is the worst thing to deal with. I always make myself some honey and lemon, or just any hot drink with plenty of honey to ease the sore throat. 

Just now, Voll Blau said:

We can address both issues. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

We all need to eat to live. Nobody needs to torture a fox to do so. It's cruelty for cruelty's sake and needs consigning to the dustbin of history.

We don`t have infinite resource and I would prefer they were redirected to the (what I personally view as the) bigger issue, and fix the fox hunting issue once the greater problems have been fixed. I accept that other having differing experiences and priorities though.

1 hour ago, Mee-9 said:

20 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Yeah the cough and resultant sore throat is the worst thing to deal with. I always make myself some honey and lemon, or just any hot drink with plenty of honey to ease the sore throat. 

Get a small amount of dry ginger, small amount of turmeric and a bit of honey on a teaspoon and have that every so often. Helps sooth and cure the sore throat.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

It is not a rich man’s activity primarily, a million miles from it. Having a wife who’s father was an estate worker gives me a different viewpoint, and driving hundreds of low paid people onto the dole is all it would achieve.

Are you aware of precisely how much it costs to run a horsey? Or, come to that, the fleet of Range Rovers and plethorati of 4x4s that follow the hunts?

Not a rich man's activity? lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1