Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Royal Mail just "delivered" a package worth about £170 outside my block of flats and declared it delivered. I live on the main pedestrian walk through to Loughborough train station, had I not realised that could easily have been taken. I've been in all morning, nobody rang the buzzer. In what way does leaving a package outside in the rain on a busy footpath when you've made no attempt to alert the person you are there, class as delivered?

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh. This isn't even about politics. It does genuinely grind my gears how someone can just lack any awareness of who she's talking to and the story she says.

This is just someone that lacks heart, empathy, sympathy, respect. A total robot that has no idea what she says and the effects of them. Disgusting. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

She quotes the language SB used, giving swarms and invasions as examples of the dehumanising language and Braverman refused to apologise for it.

The term invasion is somewhat correct, whilst not a military invasion, there is still large numbers of people illegally arriving in this country. 

I really don't see why the wording is so hurtful. 

29 minutes ago, Otis said:

The term invasion is somewhat correct, whilst not a military invasion, there is still large numbers of people illegally arriving in this country. 

I really don't see why the wording is so hurtful. 

Because it is not directed at you and you have probably not lived through persecution, and neither have I. So when someone who has says that this wording is dangerous and dehumanising I listen to them and not people like me who have lived a privileged life.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Because it is not directed at you and you have probably not lived through persecution, and neither have I. So when someone who has says that this wording is dangerous and dehumanising I listen to them and not people like me who have lived a privileged life.

So what language/wording should be used to describe 45000+ people entering the UK illegally?

It's also a prime example of being passive aggressive. But you can't deal with a passive aggressive person by simply pointing out what they are doing because they will just respond with denials and counter accusations or accusing you of overreacting. Of course it's dehumanising.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

So what language/wording should be used to describe 45000+ people entering the UK illegally?

You've literally just described the exact problem without using any dehumanising words. The scale of the problem is if anything much clearer by putting a number against the action. There is no need to use words like "swarm" or "invasion" and you've just proved that.

• Like 3

This has been bugging me all week. I get on a train at Peterborough station on Monday morning with a reserved seat ticket, busy train, carriage full and someone is already sat in my seat. I say to the person in my seat ‘sorry mate, that’s my seat’, his response was ‘are you taking the piss, it’s a f**king train’ , I conceded that, yes, we’re on a train.but I don’t particularly want to stand for the hour long journey to London, he eventually got out of my seat but I got mutterings and tuts from people in the carriage for making him move. If it had been an 80 year old woman in my seat, yeah, I’ll stand for the journey happily but this was some 20 year old scrote. WTF, I don’t see how I’m the bad guy in this?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oakman said:

This has been bugging me all week. I get on a train at Peterborough station on Monday morning with a reserved seat ticket, busy train, carriage full and someone is already sat in my seat. I say to the person in my seat ‘sorry mate, that’s my seat’, his response was ‘are you taking the piss, it’s a f**king train’ , I conceded that, yes, we’re on a train.but I don’t particularly want to stand for the hour long journey to London, he eventually got out of my seat but I got mutterings and tuts from people in the carriage for making him move. If it had been an 80 year old woman in my seat, yeah, I’ll stand for the journey happily but this was some 20 year old scrote. WTF, I don’t see how I’m the bad guy in this?

No, you booked a seat, it's your seat and you were polite about it. The mutterings and tuts were probably for the other guy.

Although trains don't exactly make it easy, if you don't know where to look for the reserved sign then it's easy to miss. There are rarely any ticket inspectors about to settle disputes. The only factor that could be taken into account is was it busy because of all the strikes and that guy might have had a reserved ticket on his original train and it was cancelled.

Guest Col city fan

Bit of a first world problem this, but it’s bugged me anyway.

Me and Mrs Col have one of those Tefal Actifry things. It’s really good actually.

Anyway, when we bought it, we took out an extended warranty. Of four years.

It’s gone wonky.. making loud noises when working and not cooking food through properly.

So I ‘activated’ the warranty last week. Couldn’t do it online as it simply did not work, so I waited an age to get through on the phone. 
The agent on the other end was vague to say the least, however, it was booked that it would be collected today by courier, for repair or replacement.

Having stayed in, waiting, all day, it had come to 3.30 pm and nothing. No email to say they were on their way, no text… nothing.

So I called back… the girl on the other end of the phone was really helpful and said that it was on their system that it would be collected today. She said she would put me through to the company that were doing the repairs.

Having waited yet another age to talk to them, the rude woman on the end of the phone said that it wasn’t on their system and that it was ‘the first she’d heard of it’. I told her I’d just been informed by the retail company that it WAS on their system. She didn’t offer any explanation, any apology, nothing. I said this wasn’t acceptable and (hopefully) it will now be collected tomorrow.

Makes me think two things:

1. If I hadn’t chased this, the acti-fry would still be sat there and nothing would have happened.

2. We live in a broken Britain at the moment. Strikes, union action, NHS waiting times through the roof, huge rates of unemployment etc. Makes me wonder does ANYTHING actually work or make sense anymore?

First world problem and I guess I’m getting old. But I stayed in today when I had other things to do. And it wouldn’t have got sorted until I sorted it.

Moan over….

On 15/01/2023 at 01:39, oakman said:

Totally on your side. Don't feel bad the other bloke is an ignorant twerp. Another reason we need guards on trains

• Like 2

I mean, I'm sure this must have been covered before but I am increasingly irritated by the use of 'I mean' at the start of sentences.  

Let me make one thing abundantly clear.  The sentence, any sentence, does not and should not be prefaced by 'I mean'.  Ever.  

Thank you.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bordersfox said:

I mean, I'm sure this must have been covered before but I am increasingly irritated by the use of 'I mean' at the start of sentences.  

Let me make one thing abundantly clear.  The sentence, any sentence, does not and should not be prefaced by 'I mean'.  Ever.  

Thank you.  

As a verbal tic it's somewhat understandable. You've blurted it out before you've had any time to think about it. But people actually typing it out at the start of a piece of text and leaving it in before submitting it is beyond weird.

• Like 1

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

As a verbal tic it's somewhat understandable. You've blurted it out before you've had any time to think about it. But people actually typing it out at the start of a piece of text and leaving it in before submitting it is beyond weird.

Absolutely and I should have clarified I meant in written form.

We are all guilty of the verbal blurt.  I myself used the word 'super' just the other week.  And it wasn't something like 'oh I say this claret is super' which would have been fine if a little out of character.  Oh no, no indeed I described something as 'super easy'.  It wasn't the first time either.  

I did thrash myself roundly several times afterwards but it does happen.

To write it though.  Beyond weird is the perfect description.  

• Like 1