Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

The new Hyundai radio adverts that tell us we need to pronounce their cars "Hyundai" not "Hyundai"

Get lost. I'm not saying it as "Hyundai" cos it sounds stupid. I'm sticking to "Hyundai" whether they like it or not.

It'll never catch on.

....are you objecting to the use of the actual, proper Korean pronunciation of the term here, or the bastardised version that has been used by various Western countries for a while? Not sure.

20 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

....are you objecting to the use of the actual, proper Korean pronunciation of the term here, or the bastardised version that has been used by various Western countries for a while? Not sure.

You’ll probably have to listen to the advert. 

They’re telling us we’ve been saying Hyundai wrong for all this time, and we should actually be saying ‘Hyundai’ (not Hyundai). 

But, yeah. They can do one. I’ll still be pronouncing it Hyundai. 

Trust that helps :thumbup:

19 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The speed HR work at, have been offered a job and the weeks it has taken to get anywhere with it because how slow they're being is such a pain 

Remember....

Those that can, do

Those that can't do, teach

And those that can't teach go into HR

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Izzy said:

The new Hyundai radio adverts that tell us we need to pronounce their cars "Hyundai" not "Hyundai"

Get lost. I'm not saying it as "Hyundai" cos it sounds stupid. I'm sticking to "Hyundai" whether they like it or not.

It'll never catch on.

It's incredibly condescending.

English brands will be mispronounced in South Korea and that's absolutely fine. Different tongues stress vowels and syllables differently.

9 minutes ago, Milo said:

You’ll probably have to listen to the advert. 

They’re telling us we’ve been saying Hyundai wrong for all this time, and we should actually be saying ‘Hyundai’ (not Hyundai). 

But, yeah. They can do one. I’ll still be pronouncing it Hyundai. 

Trust that helps :thumbup:

Not so much, but I guessing it's HEY-un-DAY instead of Hi-un-DIE, right?

The former is the correct version, but so it goes.

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

English brands will be mispronounced in South Korea and that's absolutely fine. Different tongues stress vowels and syllables differently.

And efforts will be, and are being, taken to make sure that mispronunciation doesn't happen (especially the whole mixup with l's and r's that popular culture used to take the piss out of).

It really doesn't take much effort to learn the native pronunciation as it is said of one word, or even a few.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

It'll never catch on.

53 minutes ago, Stadt said:

It's also working pretty well though. Think of the amount of people who are now thinking/talking about and searching their brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

It'll never catch on.

You are talking about it, it has caught on. I can't imagine the Board of Hyundai give two sh1ts about how their brand name is pronounced, it is just a brand. They want people talking about it and in the public consciousness... voila.

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

It'll never catch on.

One of my mates is a sales manager at a Hyundai dealer, @Bellend Sebastian can back this up.

There's no way he's moving to the 'new pronunciation'

He text me and said "What The Fvck?" 

It's Hye-Un-Die.

Everyone else can fvck off lol

Edited by tom27111

One of the things I'm most looking forward to about actually getting one is the myriad opportunities to correct people's pronunciation.

'Oh you've got one of those Hyundais, have you, I've been meaning to ask you about it".

'Well I've been meaning to ask YOU why you keep pronouncing it wrong'.

I expect to become very popular very quickly

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

One of my mates is a sales manager at a Hyundai dealer, @Bellend Sebastian can back this up.

There's no way he's moving to the 'new pronunciation'

He text me and said "What The Fvck?" 

It's Hye-Un-Die.

Everyone else can fvck off lol

Brilliant. There’s also that pompous breed who listens to an advert trying solely to sell cars and treats it as gospel. Heard some twerp calling it hey-un-gays, trying to take the brownie points for being cultural…. It’s like when John from Oldham goes on his annual Spain trip and tries to say everything in a Spanish accent 

4 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Brilliant. There’s also that pompous breed who listens to an advert trying solely to sell cars and treats it as gospel. Heard some twerp calling it hey-un-gays, trying to take the brownie points for being cultural…. It’s like when John from Oldham goes on his annual Spain trip and tries to say everything in a Spanish accent 

In this case, the pronunciation is pretty much that, however.

I can see that there are a lot of folks who evidently disagree on their willingness to adopt this fact, though. Fair enough.

37 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

In this case, the pronunciation is pretty much that, however.

I can see that there are a lot of folks who evidently disagree on their willingness to adopt this fact, though. Fair enough.

That’s annoying…. The freak must’ve been watching the advert on loop. My Korean friend Kev said: Hyon-Dae will be the closest i think

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I never knew we had so many Korean language and phonetics experts on here. :ph34r:

Random question, what is Korean derived from? Is it far to say a little from Japanese and Chinese.

It seems similar to Japanese in some ways but not others. The Japanese language wouldnt really have the 'Heung' or the Hiun (kind of rhymes with pen) syllable kind of sounds. I'm aware I could be talking bollocks though...