Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

That’s annoying…. The freak must’ve been watching the advert on loop. My Korean friend Kev said: Hyon-Dae will be the closest i think

Yeah, Hyon-DAY or HAY-un-DAY are both used over here, and from a quick straw poll of folks I know the former is the better one.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Random question, what is Korean derived from? Is it far to say a little from Japanese and Chinese.

It seems similar to Japanese in some ways but not others. The Japanese language wouldnt really have the 'Heung' or the Hiun (kind of rhymes with pen) syllable kind of sounds. I'm aware I could be talking bollocks though...

Actually didn't know this off the top of my head, but reliable Google-Fu states that the language mostly originated on its own rather than having direct derivation from a dialect of Chinese or Japanese. It makes sense - the Korean people had their own unique region from over 1500 years ago, and the language evidently developed with it. That's not to say that subsequent Chinese and Japanese cultural influence haven't had an effect on it, though.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2023 at 08:13, Nalis said:

Random question, what is Korean derived from? Is it far to say a little from Japanese and Chinese.

It seems similar to Japanese in some ways but not others. The Japanese language wouldnt really have the 'Heung' or the Hiun (kind of rhymes with pen) syllable kind of sounds. I'm aware I could be talking bollocks though...

Korean and Japanese are both examples (like Basque) that sit in their own language groups with no obvious extant relations, they call them language isolates*. 

To an untrained ear, Korean and Japanese can sound phonetically a little similar if you're watching their films or TV maybe. 

But they're not at all. They aren't related to anything. Even to the degree that English is related to, say, Armenian, Latvian or Sinhalese which obviously have near 0 recognisable mutual intelligibility to us. 

(*slight caveat in that technically modern scholars will say Japanese and Korean are small groups as opposed to isolates because they'll recognise each have a regional dialect distinct enough that most academics will now call them separate languages. Ryukyuan Japanese and Jeju Korean respectively, both are island break aways of their "sister" languages.)

• Like 2

On 06/02/2023 at 13:44, leicsmac said:

Not so much, but I guessing it's HEY-un-DAY instead of Hi-un-DIE, right?

The former is the correct version, but so it goes.

And efforts will be, and are being, taken to make sure that mispronunciation doesn't happen (especially the whole mixup with l's and r's that popular culture used to take the piss out of).

It really doesn't take much effort to learn the native pronunciation as it is said of one word, or even a few.

As someone who lives out there (I think?) I'm sure you'll know better than me but I've been out there a few times including to Busan, and I'm sure that HEY-un-DAY (Haeundae / 해운대) is the beach in that city and the car company is hyun-DAY (Hyeondae / 현대). I might be wrong but I'm sure that's what I was told.

4 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

As someone who lives out there (I think?) I'm sure you'll know better than me but I've been out there a few times including to Busan, and I'm sure that HEY-un-DAY (Haeundae / 해운대) is the beach in that city and the car company is hyun-DAY (Hyeondae / 현대). I might be wrong but I'm sure that's what I was told.

From what I've gathered, the two terms are sometimes used rather interchangeably but you're technically correct here. It's just unfortunate that the pronunciation used in the UK and elsewhere caught on so much.

Also, I love Haeundae Beach but it's proper rammed in the summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asha said:

As Busan beaches go, I preferred Gwangalli. Usually a bridge in the middle of the ocean view would **** me off but somehow it adds to it. Great vibes with all the neon lights at nighttime too. 

Yup, it's a spectacular view.

I've always enjoyed the beaches on the other side of the country - the islands off Mokpo and Jindo as they tend to be more secluded.

Anyhow, rather than turning this into the Hipster Beach thread I'll get back on topic and state that bureaucracy, yet again, grinds my gears.

22 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've never even felt the urge.

Being subjected to Leicester Sound during 12 hour shifts while working in the Walkers pork pie factory in the 90s cured me of that forever

i vividly remember listening to Heart 106 all day in a factory job in my late teens. Subjected to Daniel Powters "had a bad day" on repeat. ugh

38 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

people who listen to commercial radio

22 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've never even felt the urge.

Being subjected to Leicester Sound during 12 hour shifts while working in the Walkers pork pie factory in the 90s cured me of that forever

I only endured 7 hours a day in the office, also in the 90's and it equally deterred me.

36 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I only endured 7 hours a day in the office, also in the 90's and it equally deterred me.

I don't know if it's changed but back then it became quickly apparent that they were playing no more than about 7 different songs an hour, repeated every hour, padded out with that inane commercial radio DJ speak (talk to fill the air but do NOT actually say anything) and the same number of adverts.

I watched the sun go down and come up again on my shift and the whole thing just made me feel insane.

Two of the songs were 'Love is All Around' by Wet Wet Wet and 'Don't Turn Around' by Aswad. That's a lot of 'arounds' in 12 hours 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Crikey Peaky ..  have you gone over to the dark side ?? ..  you sound like a mafia hit man ..  :o

No, I was just pointing out that a deadly pandemic cannot cut through it, education can't. Some people refuse to listen or learn, so only Darwin can see it off. I'm not advocating anything, before anyone tries to warp what I said. 

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

No, I was just pointing out that a deadly pandemic cannot cut through it, education can't. Some people refuse to listen or learn, so only Darwin can see it off. I'm not advocating anything, before anyone tries to warp what I said. 

Perfect repost ..  and I wouldn’t expect anything less ..  😁

• Thanks 1