Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

British Gas have sent me a second email asking for a meter reading.

I ignored the first thinking it was spam, because we have a smart meter.

It turns out my meter has stopped sending the info so the emails were genuine.

In submitting my readings, a huge spike in my apparent usage became obvious. In the last 12 days I've used nearly £500 worth of leccy according to my so called 'smart' meter!!!!!!!!!

They are looking into it.....

On 13/02/2023 at 06:22, Free Falling Foxes said:

My work asked for any volunteers for redundancy, so as to offset compulsory notices.

Manager says staff my age would be accepted if they applied.

I applied. Turned down.

Absolute barstewards. :mad::frusty:

On the plus side this means your employer values you over the other who applied :)

7 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

In submitting my readings, a huge spike in my apparent usage became obvious. In the last 12 days I've used nearly £500 worth of leccy according to my so called 'smart' meter!!!!!!!!!

Bulb (octopus) did something similar to me.

The usage was £6580 for the month but at least they didnt have the gaul to bill me that amount.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

£182 for a open day return to London?  WTAF????? A 1 hour trip…!

All to subsidise other European railways…

:mad:

It's cheaper to buy the ticket on your phone on the platform rather than getting a open return.

I pay £50 each way from Leicester this way.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, kenny said:

It's cheaper to buy the ticket on your phone on the platform rather than getting a open return.

I pay £50 each way from Leicester this way.

You’re probably right…. It’s not my cash, but I nearly fell over

Why shouldn’t I be able to get an open return at a reasonable price?

26 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

You’re probably right…. It’s not my cash, but I nearly fell over

Why shouldn’t I be able to get an open return at a reasonable price?

The pricing is madness and the service isn't much better at times.

That being said it's much better since people stopped using it, the railways are noticeably empty at the moment which makes using them more pleasant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

On the plus side this means your employer values you over the other who applied :)

Alas no. I've now received some feedback.

It would have been too expensive to grant me redundancy because of the enhanced pension I would have been entitled to.

It was the false optimism my managers comment that my interest would be accepted, that gauls the most.

9 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Likewise my gas meter has gone loopy too....

10 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

My Smart gas meter has decided to stop working again having gone to sleep before Christmas and waking up again in January.

I don't have a clue how they work or what can go wrong. It's a shame as of late I do like to see what's going on rather than having the excitement of submitting a meter reading and only then being confronted by the terrifying numbers. Much better to see the horror unfold in front of your eyes and be depressed over an extended period

Just now, Free Falling Foxes said:

And then you read this morning their profits have trebled to 3.3 billion......

I'm quite sure they'll eventually concede that I didn't use 328 units in a 5 week period (I live in a 2 bed flat and am generally careful with usage) but this doesn't sound like an isolated incident, judging by other comments. 

I hope it's incompetence or faulty meters and not deliberate & hoping people don't notice. 

21 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm quite sure they'll eventually concede that I didn't use 328 kWh/units in a 5 week period (I live in a 2 bed flat and am generally careful with usage) but this doesn't sound like an isolated incident, judging by other comments. 

I hope it's incompetence or faulty meters and not deliberate & hoping people don't notice. 

Our figures nearly match, except mine was 1328 in a 12 day period!!!!

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

23 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Our figures nearly match, except mine was 1328 in a 12 day period!!!!

That is insane.

Based on nothing whatsoever, I wonder whether power surges might have some part in it. Or maybe sometimes technology is faulty - which is by far the most likely explanation.

21 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

That is insane.

Based on nothing whatsoever, I wonder whether power surges might have some part in it. Or maybe sometimes technology is faulty - which is by far the most likely explanation.

They had the nerve to ask if I have increased my usage in anyway!

Like what, heating the pitch at the KP for the last few weeks and jump starting Jumbo jets?

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

They had the nerve to ask if I have increased my usage in anyway!

Like what, heating the pitch at the KP for the last few weeks and jump starting Jumbo jets?

I guess they have to cover such options - they asked me if I had new appliances etc. However, the person handling my complaint (for I have made one) asked me to monitor my usage for a while to check consistency of use, and by luck I've just had my boiler check done, so I can wave that in their faces too if needs be.

Ultimately, they recognise such anomalies (slowly) and then guesstimate based on recent actual reads or historical precedents.

8 hours ago, Wolfox said:

£182 for a open day return to London?  WTAF????? A 1 hour trip…!

All to subsidise other European railways…

:mad:

As the other poster has said, buy the ticket on the platform. There are off peak tickets out there, I went Nuneaton to Euston twice last week, was about £50 rtn on pre booked off peak, I jusmped on an earlier train back anyway and the ticket man wasn't arsed. 

If the demand is there they will price it like that, it's not ''your money'' but that's why train prices are expensive because a large proprtion is business travel and it's not real money compared to your own.

37 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive

This irritates me for two reason:

1. It's silly.

2. Finding this irksome makes me think I'm turning into my dad. 

I loved Roald Dahl as a kid. One of the main reasons I loved him was because his language was spiky and funny in a way that no other children’s author (at least as far as I could tell) could manage.

Not only are these new edits completely wrong-headed and cowardly, many of them are incredibly crude and tin-eared. Whoever made them seems to be devoid of any understanding of how language works. A sad day for children’s fiction 😢

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I loved Roald Dahl as a kid. One of the main reasons I loved him was because his language was spiky and funny in a way that no other children’s author (at least as far as I could tell) could manage.

Not only are these new edits completely wrong-headed and cowardly, many of them are incredibly crude and tin-eared. Whoever made them seems to be devoid of any understanding of how language works. A sad day for children’s fiction 😢

Think this is why I got nobbled by it. I adored these when I was younger and am taking even greater joy from them as I now read them to my son. They keep quoting The Twits as the main offender which begins with an entire passage on beauty being more than skin deep.  As you said, utterly tin-eared.

The Twits by Roald Dahl | Goodreads

At this point I swear people are taking the rip to see what they can get away and pocket a few quid.  I also think in many cases it's gone beyond parody and does damage to more significant issues as people will see things like this and roll their eyes.

Puffin, sod off on this one please.

Edited by Zear0
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I feel like if you're a woke parent and some of the language concerns you or you think your kid might get the wrong message and they're young then that could be an opportunity to gently discuss it with them. 

I can't help but feel like some of this shit is a right wing psyop. 

That would certainly explain it. How else can you explain an edit like this:

image.thumb.png.2ee7db976e35fa95a9479dc255d08057.png

• Haha 1