Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

2 hours ago, marbles said:

Kinda strange take, dont you think?

Cant the EXACT same thing be said about the people (woke, if you like) who get hyper sensitive about a particular word - to the point of changing books?

Wouldnt they be considered "sensitive souls"?   

That was the point, someone referred to hypersensitive souls getting offended by the language in a kids book, whilst simultaneously getting themselves worked up by the language in a kids book. I was just pointing out the irony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Captain... said:

That was the point, someone referred to hypersensitive souls getting offended by the language in a kids book, whilst simultaneously getting themselves worked up by the language in a kids book. I was just pointing out the irony.

Lol went right over my head

• Like 1

https://time.com/5937507/roald-dahl-anti-semitism/

Despite Dahl publicly admitting he was anti-Semitic in an interview shortly before his death at age 74, in addition to a number of reports of his alleged misogyny and racism, for a long time it seemed that the immense popularity of his books, and their accompanying adaptations, overshadowed concerns regarding his reputed prejudices....

Dahl wrote, in reference to Jewish people, “Never before in the history of man has a race of people switched so rapidly from being much-pitied victims to barbarous murderers.”

Dahl’s children’s books aren’t considered notably anti-Semitic.
However, his publishers—especially longtime editor Stephen Roxburgh—are credited with cutting racist and misogynistic content from some of his most famous stories, including The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The BFG.

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

On 21/02/2023 at 02:35, ozleicester said:

https://time.com/5937507/roald-dahl-anti-semitism/

Despite Dahl publicly admitting he was anti-Semitic in an interview shortly before his death at age 74, in addition to a number of reports of his alleged misogyny and racism, for a long time it seemed that the immense popularity of his books, and their accompanying adaptations, overshadowed concerns regarding his reputed prejudices....

Dahl wrote, in reference to Jewish people, “Never before in the history of man has a race of people switched so rapidly from being much-pitied victims to barbarous murderers.”

Dahl’s children’s books aren’t considered notably anti-Semitic.
However, his publishers—especially longtime editor Stephen Roxburgh—are credited with cutting racist and misogynistic content from some of his most famous stories, including The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The BFG.

There you go then. It’s already been done, so doesn’t need doing again. ;)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

No chance of grabbing a quiet coffee in the town hall square a little earlier. Some fella decided to 'treat' those there to some Rap/Hip Hop with his speaker blasting out some distorted accompaniment.

Gosh, it was bloody awful.

You see, and sadly hear, similar folk doing this at the clock tower, now it's spreading.

Cathedral lawn is a decent spot to take five minutes. 

Not sure I'd ever have considered clock tower a quiet place to go and sit, like ever since I was a kid it's been busy and noisy. The road, the weird evangelists, the hare krishnas, the anti vaxx preachers, teenage skateboarders, Street performers. All cracks off around there. 

And Town Hall Square attracts a few too many characters tbh.

• Like 2

Car Insurance renewal up 50% :o No change from last year other than me and the car are a year older! 

Rang up to cancel and what do you know they can get it down to last years quote. Moved me from their premium insurance to standard (dropped the breakdown cover as I have that through my bank but absolutely no change to what’s included, excess etc.)

Looks like they have worked out a dodge for that thing where your renewal should match what they’re offering new customers. 

On 23/02/2023 at 13:05, Tommy G said:

Jeremy Vine and his cycling videos. 

Any of those sorts of videos are a load of bollocks really. Can upload the parts you want and any shit received has zero context on what happened veforehand if anything.

Got a letter from the AA(not alcoholics anonymous) telling me i was such a valued customer they were upgrading me to their silver package.

Further down they tell me the monthly price will increase by £10.

Needless to say i'll be putting in a call and if they dont put me back on my original package they will lose a "valued" customer.

On 22/02/2023 at 13:55, Free Falling Foxes said:

No chance of grabbing a quiet coffee in the town hall square a little earlier. Some fella decided to 'treat' those there to some Rap/Hip Hop with his speaker blasting out some distorted accompaniment.

Gosh, it was bloody awful.

You see, and sadly hear, similar folk doing this at the clock tower, now it's spreading.

More self centred behaviour from the ignorant. I understand your annoyance 

• Like 1