Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

I said a few months ago that the LCFC section of this forum is as toxic as botulinum. If anything, it's more so now.

Not sure that is true. You do get some over the top and unnecessary posts but a lot are people sharing frustration in a constructive way.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

Not sure that is true. You do get some over the top and unnecessary posts but a lot are people sharing frustration in a constructive way.

Honestly with the amount of new threads and commentary on them I think the OTT and unnecessary posts are the majority, not the minority (but I wouldn't have evidence of that).

I get people being frustrated and venting is good (certainly beat internalising it), but it's a corollary of that venting that the place where it happens may get toxic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

When I hear the term ''chest feeding''....maybe I'm being ignorant but I can't get my head round it, welcome being educated on it.

It's a term used by trans men to attempt to avoid bringing on dysphoric feelings for them.

If this chat extends any further with other folks, purely for the record I'm also pretty sure no one is asking for a term to be replaced, just a different term (which is technically accurate) to be added. Such things aren't a zero-sum game.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's a term used by trans men to attempt to avoid bringing on dysphoric feelings for them.

If this chat extends any further with other folks, purely for the record I'm also pretty sure no one is asking for a term to be replaced, just a different term (which is technically accurate) to be added. Such things aren't a zero-sum game.

Thank you. 

• Like 1

Amazon. 

Take sixty quid they aren’t entitled to then provide unintelligible call centre staff in India who pass me from pillar to post, each one failing to give me my money back, for almost an hour and a half.

Once that cash is back on my card, I’ll be closing the account down permanently. Didn’t even get an apology, just an admonishment for saying “This is seriously shit”.

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Amazon. 

Take sixty quid they aren’t entitled to then provide unintelligible call centre staff in India who pass me from pillar to post, each one failing to give me my money back, for almost an hour and a half.

Once that cash is back on my card, I’ll be closing the account down permanently. Didn’t even get an apology, just an admonishment for saying “This is seriously shit”.

Don’t bother with call centre staff lol. Email [email protected] and [email protected] if you have an issue. It’s 2023 dude, no one’s got time to be talking to offshore call centre staff who we know have no power to deal with your complaint 

7 hours ago, Tommy G said:

When I hear the term ''chest feeding''....maybe I'm being ignorant but I can't get my head round it, welcome being educated on it.

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Can someone kindly explain what this means for those of us who have never heard the term?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I would have thought perhaps not having a baby would also help here.  

7 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Can someone kindly explain what this means for those of us who have never heard the term?

Women who think they are men and who are upset by the reality of having a baby and then further upset by having their breasts with which they are feeding said baby called what they biologically are has somehow led to women having to put up with NHS administrators replacing the word breastfeeding with chestfeeding.  Which is about as ridiculous as it sounds, and I am convinced benefits absolutely nobody whilst making everyone involved look like idiots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I would posit that would depend on individual circumstance.

Of course, but you would concede that if (Big IF) acknowledging you have breasts is upsetting, then having an actual baby come out of your lady bits would also be problematic.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Women who think they are men and who are upset by the reality of having a baby and then further upset by having their breasts with which they are feeding said baby called what they biologically are has somehow led to women having to put up with NHS administrators replacing the word breastfeeding with chestfeeding.  Which is about as ridiculous as it sounds, and I am convinced benefits absolutely nobody whilst making everyone involved look like idiots.

As per above,  nothing is being replaced, just added.

And given the above comment and ones given in the past, the lack of empathy (sometimes covered with a veneer of "oh, but I really do care, just not in this way") towards people who mostly just want to live their lives and are asking for that empathy and consideration from people while breaking no laws is rather sad.

18 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Of course, but you would concede that if (Big IF) acknowledging you have breasts is upsetting, then having an actual baby come out of your lady bits would also be problematic.

One might be separated by the other by a period of time in which a person changes. That's not really a big jump.

• Like 2

Oh, and keeping in with the general theme of the thread, essentialists who think ones identity is set in stone the moment someone is born (or even conceived) grind my gears because our advances in science continue to show how inaccurate that is and the sooner such science advances to the point where the idea of essentialism becomes utterly outmoded and merely a talking point for cranks in the way Flat Earth is today, the better.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Oh, and keeping in with the general theme of the thread, essentialists who think ones identity is set in stone the moment someone is born (or even conceived) grind my gears because our advances in science continue to show how inaccurate that is and the sooner such science advances to the point where the idea of essentialism becomes utterly outmoded and merely a talking point for cranks in the way Flat Earth is today, the better.

I hope that isn't directed at me?  I don't believe that at all.  I do believe you cannot change biological sex, pretending you can is very damaging to lots of people especially children, and some things are better segregated by sex such as medical care and competitive sport.  That is however only part of your identity, and if anything those who think you can change your sex seem to also be really into gender stereotyping, which is weird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

I hope that isn't directed at me?  I don't believe that at all.  I do believe you cannot change biological sex, pretending you can is very damaging to lots of people especially children, and some things are better segregated by sex such as medical care and competitive sport.  That is however only part of your identity, and if anything those who think you can change your sex seem to also be really into gender stereotyping, which is weird.

Thank you for the clarification, I'm happy to take that at face value.

And no, it isn't - oddly enough, this isn't the first conversation I've been privy to on this topic in the last 24 hours, and other folks are a great deal more...conservative than you (though evidently we don't see eye to eye on the matter). Yours was just the straw that generated the (little) rant. :D

NB. It will be interesting to see where we are in fifty years with such questions if our advances in science on the matter continues.

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Thank you for the clarification, I'm happy to take that at face value.

And no, it isn't - oddly enough, this isn't the first conversation I've been privy to on this topic in the last 24 hours, and other folks are a great deal more...conservative than you (though evidently we don't see eye to eye on the matter). Yours was just the straw that generated the (little) rant. :D

NB. It will be interesting to see where we are in fifty years with such questions if our advances in science on the matter continues.

:)