Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

23 hours ago, TJQuik said:

Have you never cleaned up after a human, e.g a baby, someone who is ill or for a job that requires it? Far more disgusting than anything a dog could produce.

Several years ago my crewmate and I were called to an unwell male.

We walked into a front room with vinyl flooring. The old boy had a serious bowel release along with vomiting. He was unable to get to the bathroom in time due to mobility problems. He had attempted to but then slipped and fell in his own faeces and vomit which had spread extensively across the floor.

We managed to get him up, all the while slipping around in shit and sick. He was covered in this mixture. Before we could even get him on the ambulance we had to get him cleaned up and dried off sufficiently to make the journey to and the arrival at A&E the best it could be.

Another incident, I went to a flat where an alcoholic lived. A neighbour had called as she was concerned about lack of contact and the number of flies around the flats. We walked in to find a woman lying in bed, barely alive. The flies were present due to her lying in her own bodily waste unable to move.

We managed to get her on board but, kidding not, there were flies around her on the carry down to the ambulance which also managed to get inside the rear and accompany us to hospital.

I've been to scenes of long term death where the body has partially decomposed. 

That for me, is a smell and sight that never gets easier to hold back from.

Picking up dog poo pales in comparison. It was always me that has had to manage cat shit/vomit (currently as we have an old cat) or kiddie vomit (many years ago) as Mrs P can't stomach it.

Edited by Parafox
  • Sad 3

This has pi$$ed me off for years but even more so now I'm a grumpy old git.

People in pubs who hang around close to, or actually at the bar even if they have their drinks.

Why?

Tonight, as per, probably 70% of the folk I needed to squeeze by to find a gap to order a drink, are standing there with full or mostly full glasses in their hands.

Feck off.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 3

Okay three things in the last 24 hours have really annoyed me - way more than they actually should.

1. People who stand in line at the fish and chips shop (or any take away place) for 10-15 minutes and then when they get to the front start thinking about what they might like, and it’s like the first time they’ve ever seen the menu. How hard is it to make your mind up whisky your waiting.

2. American Sports start times - I am a big sports fan and will watch most sports, but why is it American sports always start 10-15 minutes after the advertised kick off time?

3. The live league table - you don’t get any points for being ahead or being level in a game. I don’t know how many posts I saw today saying we’re bottom of the league - no we are not, no points are awarded during games. 

Maybe I’m just being a grumpy old man though 

Bank closures. I went to Market Harborough yesterday, and on the front door at Barclays was a sign saying that it was closing at the end of July. Other customers I spoke to were all fuming at the news. The way things are going, they'll soon only have one branch left in the entire county. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

This has pi$$ed me off for years but even more so now I'm a grumpy old git.

People in pubs who hang around close to, or actually at the bar even if they have their drinks.

Why?

Tonight, as per, probably 70% of the folk I needed to squeeze by to find a gap to order a drink, are standing there with full or mostly full glasses in their hands.

Feck off.

Where would you like them to go in a crowded pub, if all seats are taken and standing room is limited.

But yeah, it's gear grinding.

11 hours ago, String fellow said:

Bank closures. I went to Market Harborough yesterday, and on the front door at Barclays was a sign saying that it was closing at the end of July. Other customers I spoke to were all fuming at the news. The way things are going, they'll soon only have one branch left in the entire county. 

Barclay's Hinckley branch has been closed for a few months now. They don't care about people who need to bank outside of online. By that I mean the elderly who rely on old style face to face transactions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Discretionary service charges sneaking onto my food bill.

Why the **** should I feel awkward to have to ask for it to be removed?

The bloody government takes 20 bloody percent of it!

Do they, no tax on tips (which it’s classed at) I thought 🤷‍♂️ 

But yes cheekily putting it on because they know people won’t give a 2nd thought of itemising a bill or feel embarrassed about asking to remove it doesn’t scream of we are here to give you a goodnight.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Do they, no tax on tips (which it’s classed at) I thought 🤷‍♂️ 

But yes cheekily putting it on because they know people won’t give a 2nd thought of itemising a bill or feel embarrassed about asking to remove it doesn’t scream of we are here to give you a goodnight.

Tips are earnings. So yes, they are taxed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Okay three things in the last 24 hours have really annoyed me - way more than they actually should.

1. People who stand in line at the fish and chips shop (or any take away place) for 10-15 minutes and then when they get to the front start thinking about what they might like, and it’s like the first time they’ve ever seen the menu. How hard is it to make your mind up whisky your waiting.

2. American Sports start times - I am a big sports fan and will watch most sports, but why is it American sports always start 10-15 minutes after the advertised kick off time?

3. The live league table - you don’t get any points for being ahead or being level in a game. I don’t know how many posts I saw today saying we’re bottom of the league - no we are not, no points are awarded during games. 

Maybe I’m just being a grumpy old man though 

Or get to the front of the Q at a chip shop and order something obscure that needs to be cooked like chicken nuggets or a halloumi burger 

26 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Or get to the front of the Q at a chip shop and order something obscure that needs to be cooked like chicken nuggets or a halloumi burger 

That's fine as they then get made to wait to thr side while it's cooked and everyone behind them gets served. 

It's the ditherers that wind you up. Can't say I ever see them at all in chippy's though. Occasionally someone a bit slow but nothing that makes me want to put their face though the glass display!

On 22/04/2023 at 01:34, Aus Fox said:

My mate (not a Leicester fan) was texting me Friday when Southampton took the lead saying we were bottom. I said we aren't as as you say the game wasn't over, no points awarded at that point. He wasn't having it. So yesterday I made a point of texting him the moment Castagne scored, saying "Out the relegation zone" knowing that if he disagreed I would just point out I was just using his logic and if Wolves equalised and he pointed out we weren't out the drop zone I could point out exactly how that proves my point about points not being awarded until full time.

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

My mate (not a Leicester fan) was texting me Friday when Southampton took the lead saying we were bottom. I said we aren't as as you say the game wasn't over, no points awarded at that point. He wasn't having it. So yesterday I made a point of texting him the moment Castagne scored, saying "Out the relegation zone" knowing that if he disagreed I would just point out I was just using his logic and if Wolves equalised and he pointed out we weren't out the drop zone I could point out exactly how that proves my point about points not being awarded until full time.

Perhaps the most logical way to deal with 'virtual' league positions i.e. transient ones occurring during matches (or a single match) is to allow the 'games played' column to show decimal fractions. So, for example, at half-time yesterday, the teams involved had played 31.5 games at that point in time. (In view of the fact that computer modelling of the final league positions occasionally features points totals with decimal fractions, why not do the same with games played?)

23 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Perhaps the most logical way to deal with 'virtual' league positions i.e. transient ones occurring during matches (or a single match) is to allow the 'games played' column to show decimal fractions. So, for example, at half-time yesterday, the teams involved had played 31.5 games at that point in time. (In view of the fact that computer modelling of the final league positions occasionally features points totals with decimal fractions, why not do the same with games played?)

I see a place for live league tables. You see what the league would look like if the game finished the way it currently is. So I have no issue with the live table putting us bottom when Southampton went ahead, it's just the declaration that we were bottom. We weren't, Southampton hadn't got those points at that point. Maybe being pedantic but the correct statement would be "Leicester are going bottom if it stays like this"

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I see a place for live league tables. You see what the league would look like if the game finished the way it currently is. So I have no issue with the live table putting us bottom when Southampton went ahead, it's just the declaration that we were bottom. We weren't, Southampton hadn't got those points at that point. Maybe being pedantic but the correct statement would be "Leicester are going bottom if it stays like this"

As a pedant myself, imo when the scoreline changes before VAR has had the final say, something like STV (subject to VAR) should be incorporated. If, for example, it's 0-0 and the home side scores a dubious 'goal', instead of the BBC immediately showing the score as 1-0, they should show 1-0 STV. Just a thought - it's slightly strange to see 0-0 go to 1-0 then back to 0-0, if VAR disallows it.

Edited by String fellow