Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

19 hours ago, StanSP said:

I think it was on here many years back that I found out a reason as to why people have those stickers on their cars. And it's a morbid one. 

Apparently with the sticker on/visible, if there is a serious incident, it helps police and the emergency services identify that there is a baby or small child on board. 

Not sure if that is 'official', but I guess it makes sense. 

I've heard that before but nobody takes it out when the baby is not on board. So if that was the reason there would be a lot of time spent looking for babies that weren't on board in a crash.

The reason why we have one is not to prevent other people deliberately driving into the back of us, it is more of a caution to others that the driver of this car is probably very and tired and most likely distracted so might be driving a bit erratically or slowly.

19 hours ago, Stinky said:

Baby on board stickers on cars. I am not less likely to go in to the back of you because I saw your sticker.

strongly agree or stickers that say 'powered by fairy dust' Like what the actual fvck 

• Haha 2

On 21/04/2023 at 17:21, The Bear said:

Aspartame in large quantities regularly (young people who drink several diet drinks per day for example) has often been linked to lower bone density and osteoperosis in studies, although it may just be that any sweeteners and/or the phosphoric acid in carbonated drinks does this.

However, there are certainly a couple of studies that show that aspartame and the substances it metabolises into in the central nervous system DOES increase the damage and risk of brain tumours.

https://www.termedia.pl/Review-paper-Effects-of-aspartame-metabolites-on-astrocytes-and-neurons,20,20489,0,1.html

The study you linked shows **** all I'm afraid. Unless it's a rat or cells in a petri dish receiving thousands of times the dosage you could conceivably consume, there haven't been any studies showing that artificial sweeteners cause cancer. Regarding the phosphoric acid dissolving your bones - you are aware that many many food items contain phosphoric acid right? And yet they don't cause our skeletons to fall apart.

As the saying goes, "A little knowledge is dangerous". People who spread these half-baked claims are a huge reason why people find it so difficult to live a healthy lifestyle, and usually come from articles or videos from chiropractors, psychiatrists or "dieticians" trying to make viral videos and/or sell their stupid supplements. At least they give a chuckle to anyone who has a moderate interest in biology and health.

59 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

The study you linked shows **** all I'm afraid. Unless it's a rat or cells in a petri dish receiving thousands of times the dosage you could conceivably consume, there haven't been any studies showing that artificial sweeteners cause cancer. Regarding the phosphoric acid dissolving your bones - you are aware that many many food items contain phosphoric acid right? And yet they don't cause our skeletons to fall apart.

As the saying goes, "A little knowledge is dangerous". People who spread these half-baked claims are a huge reason why people find it so difficult to live a healthy lifestyle, and usually come from articles or videos from chiropractors, psychiatrists or "dieticians" trying to make viral videos and/or sell their stupid supplements. At least they give a chuckle to anyone who has a moderate interest in biology and health.

That link was just the summary. You have to click "full text" to read the whole thing. There was one other study when I searched Ggogle Scholar but I couldn't find a decent summary of that. 

Phosphoric acid dissolving bone - I'm guessing consuming high quantities of drinks gives you a much higher dosage than what normally appears naturally in other foods. 

57 minutes ago, The Bear said:

That link was just the summary. You have to click "full text" to read the whole thing. There was one other study when I searched Ggogle Scholar but I couldn't find a decent summary of that. 

Phosphoric acid dissolving bone - I'm guessing consuming high quantities of drinks gives you a much higher dosage than what normally appears naturally in other foods. 

Yes, you're guessing, and apparently that's enough to convince you. Doesn't matter that it's obviously bullshit.

2 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

Yes, you're guessing, and apparently that's enough to convince you. Doesn't matter that it's obviously bullshit.

I'm sure you know a lot more than me on the subject, but instead of just being condescending, why not enlighten me and produce the peer reviewed studies of your own or just explain it to me. 

• Like 3

On 25/04/2023 at 18:16, Captain... said:

I've heard that before but nobody takes it out when the baby is not on board. So if that was the reason there would be a lot of time spent looking for babies that weren't on board in a crash.

The reason why we have one is not to prevent other people deliberately driving into the back of us, it is more of a caution to others that the driver of this car is probably very and tired and most likely distracted so might be driving a bit erratically or slowly.

I'm not sure anyone should be getting behind the wheel of a car if they think they might be driving erratically or slowly because they are very tired and distracted,  and a sticker in the back of the car shouldn't give people dispensation to do so

48 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm not sure anyone should be getting behind the wheel of a car if they think they might be driving erratically or slowly because they are very tired and distracted,  and a sticker in the back of the car shouldn't give people dispensation to do so

You do know that people need to drive their child home from the hospital and drive them to the doctor's or the midwife? Some times you have to drive tired with a screaming baby in the back.

It's not dispensation to drive badly it's just a warning to other drivers. Just as an example when our baby is crying my partner might need to learn across to put his dummy or do something to settle him. That means she will block the rearview mirror momentarily. 

Maybe erratic is the wrong word, I can't think of any examples of erratic driving, think slowly as in driving at the speed limit, enough times you get someone impatient up your arse when you are driving at the speed limit or just below or not flying round country roads at 60.

Another example is I find myself being a middle lane hogger a bit more often than I used to. It's not deliberate I've just not spotted that the gap is that big and I should have moved over and sometimes it takes me a bit longer to check my blind spots, car seats limit visibility. Or I've not clocked the motorway is on a slight incline and I'm now going at 65 rather than the 70 I thought I was. All of these things every driver has done at some point you just do them a bit more often when tired and distracted.

It turns a great driver into a good driver and good driver into an ok driver and an ok driver into a not great driver. All you should think is that if the car in front is perhaps not driving that well with a baby on board sign and you are getting frustrated maybe don't drive up behind them/flash your lights/ beep your horn just ease off a bit until it's safe to pass.

17 minutes ago, Captain... said:

You do know that people need to drive their child home from the hospital and drive them to the doctor's or the midwife? Some times you have to drive tired with a screaming baby in the back.

No, but cheers for reminding me, I thought mine were brought home by carrier pigeon lol I never put my children in the car when I felt I was tired though.

17 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It's not dispensation to drive badly it's just a warning to other drivers. Just as an example when our baby is crying my partner might need to learn across to put his dummy or do something to settle him. That means she will block the rearview mirror momentarily. 

Maybe erratic is the wrong word, I can't think of any examples of erratic driving, think slowly as in driving at the speed limit, enough times you get someone impatient up your arse when you are driving at the speed limit or just below or not flying round country roads at 60.

Another example is I find myself being a middle lane hogger a bit more often than I used to. It's not deliberate I've just not spotted that the gap is that big and I should have moved over and sometimes it takes me a bit longer to check my blind spots, car seats limit visibility. Or I've not clocked the motorway is on a slight incline and I'm now going at 65 rather than the 70 I thought I was. All of these things every driver has done at some point you just do them a bit more often when tired and distracted.

It turns a great driver into a good driver and good driver into an ok driver and an ok driver into a not great driver. All you should think is that if the car in front is perhaps not driving that well with a baby on board sign and you are getting frustrated maybe don't drive up behind them/flash your lights/ beep your horn just ease off a bit until it's safe to pass.

I stand by my original point, if you feel you are too tired and likely to be distracted to such a point you might be driving erratically and outside the speed limit, or not being able to drive properly because you're so tired and distracted, you should probably think again before you get behind the wheel of a car, sticker or no sticker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Because anyone who hasn't had a baby hasn't had a bad nights sleep, or dealt with stress, or been overwrought or whatever else.  

One of the most bizarre reasons ever for a sticker in the car or as an excuse for sh1t driving. 

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

No, but cheers for reminding me, I thought mine were brought home by carrier pigeon lol I never put my children in the car when I felt I was tired though.

I stand by my original point, if you feel you are too tired and likely to be distracted to such a point you might be driving erratically and outside the speed limit, or not being able to drive properly because you're so tired and distracted, you should probably think again before you get behind the wheel of a car, sticker or no sticker.

And you should definitely not get behind the wheel with a baby on board. 

Edited by Bordersfox
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Because anyone who hasn't had a baby hasn't had a bad nights sleep, or dealt with stress, or been overwrought or whatever else.  

One of the most bizarre reasons ever for a sticker in the car or as an excuse for sh1t driving. 

Yeh man wtf, lock these people up. Driving whilst tired or weary or whatever, as bad as drink driving. Ignorant and selfish by putting innocent road users at risk 

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

8 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Because anyone who hasn't had a baby has't had a bad nights sleep, or dealt with stress, or been overwrought or whatever else.  

Ok, ok, you've both missed the point. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you're probably tired.

Instead of casual anecdotal evidence here's some science:

https://www.motoringassist.com/news/just-how-distracting-can-kids-be-in-cars-

I kinda thought it would be obvious to everyone that kids would be a distraction and distracted drivers are more likely to make a mistake. I am a careful driver and would never drive if I'm too tired, but most people with kids are generally tired to a functional level. Yes other people also get tired and you can buy a sticker for that, you can also buy stickers alerting people that driver has medical issues like autism. I'm not sure why, but hey if I see one I'll be sure to exercise my usual caution.

As previously stated this is not about warning other careful road users to be more careful it's about, hopefully, discouraging the kind of anti social driving that we have all been victims of. Hoping that a little understanding might stop someone being a dick and just being a bit patient, now I'll assume you are both careful drivers so it isn't relevant to you but I'm also pretty sure you've experienced other drivers being dicks. Like the van driver that drove up my arse flashing his lights beeping his horn because I wasn't driving fast enough for his liking (59 in a 60), waking up my son in the process so he screamed for the rest of the trip. I didn't say they worked, but that is why I have one in my car and why most people have them. It's nothing to do with helping the emergency services and is not meant to be. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh man wtf, lock these people up. Driving whilst tired or weary or whatever, as bad as drink driving. Ignorant and selfish by putting innocent road users at risk 

I didn't say that.  I said the idea that using a sticker as a warning to others you're tired and driving dangerously as you've had a baby was ridiculous.  Which it is. 

Edit* And driving whilst distracted or particularly tired is dangerous.  

Edited by Bordersfox
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Ok, ok, you've both missed the point. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you're probably tired.

Instead of casual anecdotal evidence here's some science:

https://www.motoringassist.com/news/just-how-distracting-can-kids-be-in-cars-

I kinda thought it would be obvious to everyone that kids would be a distraction and distracted drivers are more likely to make a mistake. I am a careful driver and would never drive if I'm too tired, but most people with kids are generally tired to a functional level. Yes other people also get tired and you can buy a sticker for that, you can also buy stickers alerting people that driver has medical issues like autism. I'm not sure why, but hey if I see one I'll be sure to exercise my usual caution.

As previously stated this is not about warning other careful road users to be more careful it's about, hopefully, discouraging the kind of anti social driving that we have all been victims of. Hoping that a little understanding might stop someone being a dick and just being a bit patient, now I'll assume you are both careful drivers so it isn't relevant to you but I'm also pretty sure you've experienced other drivers being dicks. Like the van driver that drove up my arse flashing his lights beeping his horn because I wasn't driving fast enough for his liking (59 in a 60), waking up my son in the process so he screamed for the rest of the trip. I didn't say they worked, but that is why I have one in my car and why most people have them. It's nothing to do with helping the emergency services and is not meant to be. 

No I didn't miss the point, but thanks for being patronising.  

And I'm sorry I still don't agree.  

I am a careful and considerate driver and I expect everyone else on the road to be just as diligent.  I really don't care if you've had a baby.

You're held to the same standards as everyone else. End of.

As I would be if driving tired, stressed or overwrought.  A sticker doesn't excuse that.  

All that said this is a ridiculous debate because clearly nobody knows that is what the sticker means so it's practically speaking fairly pointless.  

Edited by Bordersfox
Clarification

I came here to complain about the 'who's the biggest victim?' competition going on in the main forum, but one of my favourite pet-dislikes is being aired (Baby-on-boarders).

It is my belief that the whole 'it's to help the emergency services' justification is utter nonsense, and it is just another small way for people to draw attention to themselves. It is not all of them by any means,  but on the rare occasion I have encountered a driver of such a vehicle, the biggest baby on board has tended to be that driver.

And @Captain..., before you respond to this, I would remind you of the advice you gave me in that personal conversation we had.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

No I didn't miss the point, but thanks for being patronising.  

And I'm sorry I still don't agree.  

I am a careful and considerate driver and I expect everyone else on the road to be just as diligent.  I really don't care if you've had a baby.

You're held to the same standards as everyone else. End of.

As I would be if driving tired, stressed or overwrought.  A sticker doesn't excuse that.  

All that said this is a ridiculous debate because clearly nobody knows that is what the sticker means so it's practically speaking fairly pointless.  

That's why I'm telling you why I have one, so next time you see one you will know why they have it. If they are not driving perfectly then you will hopefully cut them some slack.

Again you have missed the point. Despite saying it clearly. It is not aimed at other careful drivers, careful drivers are not a problem because they are aware of other road users and always leave enough space to react and concentrate on the road and pay attention to other road users so if another driver, for whatever reason, is tired or distracted, it's not a problem.

The problem is not everyone is a careful driver and more importantly not everyone is a calm driver, in fact there are a lot of shit drivers, see the what annoyed you on the road today thread. If it stops one person getting angry then it's worth it. Have you seen the stickers that say "I have a black box fitted" it's the same logic, just to let everyone know they are limited in how they drive. 

Obviously in an ideal world nobody need them and everyone would drive perfectly.

• Like 1