Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

41 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I came here to complain about the 'who's the biggest victim?' competition going on in the main forum, but one of my favourite pet-dislikes is being aired (Baby-on-boarders).

It is my belief that the whole 'it's to help the emergency services' justification is utter nonsense, and it is just another small way for people to draw attention to themselves. It is not all of them by any means,  but on the rare occasion I have encountered a driver of such a vehicle, the biggest baby on board has tended to be that driver.

And @Captain..., before you respond to this, I would remind you of the advice you gave me in that personal conversation we had.

You would be right, the help the emergency services thing is nonsense. I think it's important to correct people of this.

I've explained above why I have them and every other parent I know has them for the same reason. There is certainly an irony in my reasoning being to stop people getting angry when it seemingly has the opposite effect but hey-ho you can't please everyone.

7 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

I always took the “Baby on Board” thing to be a request to other drivers to be extra careful near the sticker-bearing vehicle, by way of protecting the child. 

Always slightly annoyed me, too.

Hopefully my explanation will alleviate that annoyance. It's not requesting you to be extra careful because of their precious little baby. It's advising you of a possibly distracted driver so be forgiving rather than angry if they are not driving perfectly.

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

This could get circular. Also, I'm personally not angry, I just don't like the way some / most people use the signs. 

@Captain... I'm happy to accept the sincerity of your personal approach to this, however. 

Let's agree then, anyone with a standard yellow symbol with black writing or equally dull is doing it as a friendly warning to others. Anyone with a sparkly "Princess on board" or "Future Leicester Player on board" sticker are showy idiots and deserve to be rammed off the road.

Everyone happy? Cool 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Captain... said:

That's why I'm telling you why I have one, so next time you see one you will know why they have it. If they are not driving perfectly then you will hopefully cut them some slack.

Again you have missed the point. Despite saying it clearly. It is not aimed at other careful drivers, careful drivers are not a problem because they are aware of other road users and always leave enough space to react and concentrate on the road and pay attention to other road users so if another driver, for whatever reason, is tired or distracted, it's not a problem.

The problem is not everyone is a careful driver and more importantly not everyone is a calm driver, in fact there are a lot of shit drivers, see the what annoyed you on the road today thread. If it stops one person getting angry then it's worth it. Have you seen the stickers that say "I have a black box fitted" it's the same logic, just to let everyone know they are limited in how they drive. 

Obviously in an ideal world nobody need them and everyone would drive perfectly.

Thank you.  I understand now.  Sadly I don't think many outside of this niche debate on Foxes Talk will.  

It's just that at first the sticker was to warn people why you might be driving erratically, or whilst distracted.  

But then, no, it was in case you might be a bit tired but certainly not driving erratically and not actually distracted.  Which is quite different.  That's perhaps where the misunderstanding arose. 

And that's all fine.  Because I will interact with you on the road in the same way as I do everyone else.  Nobody is a perfect driver. We all (or all should) make reasonable allowances for other road users. However, in my view regardless of whatever sticker someone chooses to have in their rear window I expect minimum standards of care and attention.  A car is a lethal weapon, so let's not drive it if we aren't able to adhere to those standards.

In twenty odd years driving I've only had one accident.  Which was actually a woman who went into the back of me on a dual carriage way because, as she later admitted, she was talking to her child in the back and had not seen my brake lights, and hazards, in time to stop.  Ergo perhaps I do have slight bias against using babies as an excuse for distraction or poor driving.  

But now I understand it's to let inconsiderate drivers know to cut you some slack.  Seems fair enough to me. 

That said those who aren't considerate drivers, well I don't think a sticker is going to change their attitude.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Thank you.  I understand now.  Sadly I don't think many outside of this niche debate on Foxes Talk will.  

It's just that at first the sticker was to warn people why you might be driving erratically, or whilst distracted.  

But then, no, it was in case you might be a bit tired but certainly not driving erratically and not actually distracted.  Which is quite different.  That's perhaps where the misunderstanding arose. 

And that's all fine.  Because I will interact with you on the road in the same way as I do everyone else.  Nobody is a perfect driver. We all (or all should) make reasonable allowances for other road users. However, in my view regardless of whatever sticker someone chooses to have in their rear window I expect minimum standards of care and attention.  A car is a lethal weapon, so let's not drive it if we aren't able to adhere to those standards.

In twenty odd years driving I've only had one accident.  Which was actually a woman who went into the back of me on a dual carriage way because, as she later admitted, she was talking to her child in the back and had not seen my brake lights, and hazards, in time to stop.  Ergo perhaps I do have slight bias against using babies as an excuse for distraction or poor driving.  

But now I understand it's to let inconsiderate drivers know to cut you some slack.  Seems fair enough to me. 

That said those who aren't considerate drivers, well I don't think a sticker is going to change their attitude.

Of course, I still suffer with inconsiderate drivers despite my sticker. I'll never know how many change their driving when seeing a sticker. It's just like an L plate a P plate any other kind of advisory sticker.

That really sucks about your accident and obviously the woman having a sticker wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

OPKs. 

Trust me, your kids aren’t interesting, special, entertaining, loveable, good looking or worth saving before anyone else in the advent of a multi car pile up inferno. 

I don’t need status updates, emails of their activities, or warning that they might be the reason you are driving like a cvnt and should have your licence shredded. 

OPKs are the worst things to have ever been invented. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

OPKs. 

Trust me, your kids aren’t interesting, special, entertaining, loveable, good looking or worth saving before anyone else in the advent of a multi car pile up inferno. 

I don’t need status updates, emails of their activities, or warning that they might be the reason you are driving like a cvnt and should have your licence shredded. 

OPK.... ovulation prediction kit?

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

OPKs. 

Without doubt my favourite ever post on Foxes Forum.  Long time lolz

BT can go suck a massive d1ck.

Paid my £30 to watch the match.

Can I cancel today? Can I fvck. I'm not the dimmest of people but I'm fvcked if I can find anywhere on the website or in my account to shelve the next payment in May.

So I phone. 

"Sorry, but we're experiencing a high volume of calls at the moment..."

And the bloke on the phone tells me they have no record of my payment. I read him my email from them. Magically, he suddenly finds it.

"The payment is now cancelled, but if it is taken next month then an error has occurred..."

No shit Sherlock, that fills me with confidence. What a great company.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Can I cancel today? Can I fvck. I'm not the dimmest of people but I'm fvcked if I can find anywhere on the website or in my account to shelve the next payment in May.

So I phone. 

And the bloke on the phone tells me they have no record of my payment. I read him my email from them. Magically, he suddenly finds it.

"The payment is now cancelled, but if it is taken next month then an error has occurred..."

I'm a lucky ****er who has BT built i to my mobile contract.

I also piggy back Sky sports.

It PISSES me off that I can't watch every foxes game, yet during covid I could 

21 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Peoples inability to realise that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink but then blame the rider when the horse dies of thirst.

The life of science advocacy and communication pretty much summed up in one sentence, that.

12 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

I'm a lucky ****er who has BT built i to my mobile contract.

I also piggy back Sky sports.

It PISSES me off that I can't watch every foxes game, yet during covid I could 

I can watch every game for A$12 a month, but weekday ones are at 3am :(

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

So I phone. 

I concur, had nothing but issues with them. 

50 minutes ago, Jabfox said:

I concur, had nothing but issues with them. 

In their favour, I did get to speak to a nice lad from Bradford instead of a unintelligible call centre on the other side of the planet.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I came here to complain about the 'who's the biggest victim?' competition going on in the main forum, but one of my favourite pet-dislikes is being aired (Baby-on-boarders).

It is my belief that the whole 'it's to help the emergency services' justification is utter nonsense, and it is just another small way for people to draw attention to themselves. It is not all of them by any means,  but on the rare occasion I have encountered a driver of such a vehicle, the biggest baby on board has tended to be that driver.

And @Captain..., before you respond to this, I would remind you of the advice you gave me in that personal conversation we had.

It is. All emergency services will make their own triage of the situation. We don't go straight to the rear window to check for a waving "Baby/Prince/Princess/Child On Board" stuck on with a suction cup. We tend to actually look in the car to assess casualties and level of injury.

You can be a proud parent without having to advertise it to the driving community. 

Similarly, the "dogs in transit" stickers. So what? You've got a dog/dogs and they're in the car/van/4x4. I don't need to know that.

Also the "powered by fairy dust". WTF does that actually convey?

Pretentiousness is what it is.

Edited by Parafox