Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

11 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I know it's irrational, it doesn't make me feel any better though when I'm 40 thousand feet in the air, just imagining what it feels like to fall that far out of the sky. For ages. Surrounded by people I don't know. At least with a car situation it would hopefully be over pretty quickly. Doesn't it take about 3 minutes to crash, all the time knowing you're facing certain death, on an aircraft?

Given the people who are usually on planes, I spend the entire flight praying for a disaster to end it all.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I know it's irrational, it doesn't make me feel any better though when I'm 40 thousand feet in the air, just imagining what it feels like to fall that far out of the sky. For ages. Surrounded by people I don't know. At least with a car situation it would hopefully be over pretty quickly. Doesn't it take about 3 minutes to crash, all the time knowing you're facing certain death, on an aircraft?

The term “falling out of the sky” may have put me off flying even further tbqh 

56 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Given the people who are usually on planes, I spend the entire flight praying for a disaster to end it all.

I got my first "police waiting for an unruly passenger on arrival" the other day, and that was very satisfying.

They weren't even being that unruly

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I got my first "police waiting for an unruly passenger on arrival" the other day, and that was very satisfying.

They weren't even being that unruly

Can I ask you to put that in writing for me to present in court, please?

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's definitely writing. Isn't it?

I'm not as sure now

Who knows what courts need?

Well lawyers, obviously, but I'm relying on my British sense of entitlement and exceptionalism to get me off.

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I hate flying too, I hate the take off and landing, and any kind of turbulence or banking terrifies me. The only time I'm remotely OK with it is when we're cruising uneventfully, but even then I'm wondering what it's like to fall out of the sky. Having said that I will do it, I just don't like it. Give me a good road trip in the car any day over flying. 

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Funnily enough I’m exactly the same. No matter how smooth parts of the flight may be, my mind is constantly thinking of various things that could happen. Taking off is the worst part for me, just makes me feel sick. All in all I just find it a very exhausting process but I love being on holiday so I should try and get over it somehow 

I knew someone who was terrified of flying but did a one day workshop run by BA in London which was really helpful in addressing his fears.   Perhaps it is worth looking into?   I appreciate it would not be very helpful for you Debbie being in Spain.

https://flyingwithconfidence.com/courses

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Funnily enough I’m exactly the same. No matter how smooth parts of the flight may be, my mind is constantly thinking of various things that could happen. Taking off is the worst part for me, just makes me feel sick. All in all I just find it a very exhausting process but I love being on holiday so I should try and get over it somehow 

I work in aviation and can reassure you there is nothing more highly regulated or safer. Even non critical parts that go on an aircraft are so thoroughly tested it would blow your mind. 

get yourself on a flying confidence course - BA run one, or have a look on flight radar at the amount of flights currently in the air. 

I was on an internal flight in China last month on a shagged out 30 year old aircraft, no announcements in English and most of the flight was in bad weather - I was a bit on edge but still nothing to worry about. 

10 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I do find it annoying the amount of people who binge drink on flights. Like I'm all for recreational drugs but there's a time and a place. 

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with ramming drinks down as long as you aren’t an idiot to other passengers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I hate flying too, I hate the take off and landing, and any kind of turbulence or banking terrifies me. The only time I'm remotely OK with it is when we're cruising uneventfully, but even then I'm wondering what it's like to fall out of the sky. Having said that I will do it, I just don't like it. Give me a good road trip in the car any day over flying. 

5 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Completely agree. Used to love it but went to get on a flight one day about 15 years ago and an irrational panic came over me. 

I used to fly at least every 2 - 3 months pre Covid, highly recommend having medication from the Dr.

And not having flown for 2, nearly 3 years with Covid, I was surprised I didn't feel worse when we went away last month. It actually wasn't that bad. 

I'm a nervous flier too, despite knowing a fair amount about the physics and engineering behind it all and knowing the numbers too.

Sometimes the irrationality in our brains can be difficult to overcome. Alcohol on longer flights does certainly help there.

8 hours ago, The Blur said:

I knew someone who was terrified of flying but did a one day workshop run by BA in London which was really helpful in addressing his fears.   Perhaps it is worth looking into?   I appreciate it would not be very helpful for you Debbie being in Spain.

https://flyingwithconfidence.com/courses

Discovering that he was one of the pilots isn’t going to help Debs with her fear tbh.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

I do find it annoying the amount of people who binge drink on flights. Like I'm all for recreational drugs but there's a time and a place. 

There’s four things you can do for 11 hours and you want to get rid of one of them.

Boo.

Boo, illiberal Fox.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

There’s four things you can do for 11 hours and you want to get rid of one of them.

Boo.

Boo, illiberal Fox.

Tbh I can understand having a few drinks on a long haul but the altitude pressure difference is going to give most people a monster hangover if they get really shitfaced, so I'm not sure it's worth going that far. 

27 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Tbh I can understand having a few drinks on a long haul but the altitude pressure difference is going to give most people a monster hangover if they get really shitfaced, so I'm not sure it's worth going that far. 

I’m not an advocate for getting completely shitfaced anywhere, let alone near an emergency exit at 39,000 feet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

I once flew Malaysia Airlines business class from Kuala Lumpur to Dubai, and found they were an actual bar on the plane.  Proceeded to drink Gin and tonic for about 6 hours.  Cue the worst hangover of my life in Dubai business class lounge. Horrible.

Edited by Jon the Hat

5 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I once flew Malaysia Airlines business class from Kuala Lumpur to Dubai, and found they were an actual bar on the plane.  Proceeded to drink Gin and tonic for about 6 hours.  Cue the worst hangover of my life in Dubai business class lounge. Horrible.

Yep. Mine was Tokyo-London, spent the entirety of the bus ride up to Leicester wanting to throw up. Never again.

• Like 1