Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Just now, Zear0 said:

Quite. Many many years ago when I lived at home we had an absolute helmet a few doors down who had a clapped out Mitsubishi who claimed he had to let the thing idle for 20 minutes before and after his commute to work. Real pain was he worked nights. 

I’m not one for crime but I would have found it very hard not to damage that car if it was me. 

17 minutes ago, Stinkenzo said:

It's weird if their dad isn't even on Facebook to see it though. People can do whatever they want of course but your first paragraph sums it up for me. 

As for the rest, "in person" was probably used a bit loosely but I just mean a phone call or even a text. The presentation infront of friends and family on Facebook is just something I've found odd. 

Think I misunderstood the in person part then :thumbup:

My sister always changes her profile picture to herself and Dad, he died in 2016. That I don't have an issue with.

1 hour ago, Benguin said:

People who tinker with their cars to make them loud. Nothing worse than finally getting your cranky baby to sleep when some moron whizzes down the road with a lawnmower engine.

I have always found them annoying but I have a new found hatred for it. What’s the point? Do they know everyone hates them? 

Agreed. Motorbikes with stupidly loud exhausts too. 

I'm of the opinion that a decibel limit at a certain RPM should be part of the MOT for everything on the road. 

• Like 1

On 18/06/2023 at 09:45, Benguin said:

People who tinker with their cars to make them loud. Nothing worse than finally getting your cranky baby to sleep when some moron whizzes down the road with a lawnmower engine.

I have always found them annoying but I have a new found hatred for it. What’s the point? Do they know everyone hates them? 

It's a very easy way to identify someone who feels extremely vulnerable inside so they're desperate to show everyone what a big man they are.

Migraines. 

I get ones that make me blind, ones that give me the shits, and ones that make me blind and give me the shits. The latter goes in for days at a time which is what I’ve got now. No rhyme nor reason to the cause. 

On 18/06/2023 at 09:45, Benguin said:

Before I left Thorpe Astley a couple of years ago my new neighbours had one of these cars. 7:15am every morning there'd be a BRUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM as the grisly sounding car fired up and then proceeded to sit there for around 3-5 minutes (assume to warm up the engine?) before it reversed out and left.

Definitely wound up some of our other neighbouring houses...

4 hours ago, Daggers said:

Migraines. 

I get ones that make me blind, ones that give me the shits, and ones that make me blind and give me the shits. The latter goes in for days at a time which is what I’ve got now. No rhyme nor reason to the cause. 

Sensory toilet paper is the way to go. You locate it by smell if you have a sight impediment. It’s fragrant before use and pungent after. 

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

When people hum to the tunes throughout a decent song when it's being played on the radio.

What is interesting is that when I sing along to a decent song on the radio I sound quite respectable but when the music stops and I carry on singing it sounds like cats fighting in a sack 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Wymsey said:

When people hum to the tunes throughout a decent song when it's being played on the radio.

Public humming should be punishable by torture..same applies for excessive public whistling.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

When people say, "with all due respect..." followed by words that clearly indicate that they think you're a blathering idiot.

Personally I find that hilarious, just saying "I've considered it and this is the respect you deserve"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Personally I find that hilarious, just saying "I've considered it and this is the respect you deserve"

Sometimes I'm not sure how I can frame pointing out scientific fact in response to an obviously erroneous statement  (like on the Sci thread on occasion) in more diplomatic terms than using something like "with respect", tbh.

20 hours ago, Daggers said:

Migraines. 

Yours sound similar to mine. Seems to be no reason for them, just hit you out of the blue.

I'm having a long running argument with the Dr's though. Not wanting to tell them how to do their job, but all I can do it tell them what I'm experiencing. I read up on cluster headaches and it reads almost word for word what I go through when I suffer a "migraine". They insist it migraines I'm getting. Might be worth talking to your Dr and seeing if they are more receptive to the suggestion. Apparently they are often misdiagnosed as migraines and are more common in men, whilst migraines are more common in women.

31 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Yours sound similar to mine. Seems to be no reason for them, just hit you out of the blue.

I'm having a long running argument with the Dr's though. Not wanting to tell them how to do their job, but all I can do it tell them what I'm experiencing. I read up on cluster headaches and it reads almost word for word what I go through when I suffer a "migraine". They insist it migraines I'm getting. Might be worth talking to your Dr and seeing if they are more receptive to the suggestion. Apparently they are often misdiagnosed as migraines and are more common in men, whilst migraines are more common in women.

Man is an idiot who is only thinking about retiring in a month’s time. If I can get an appointment I might push it with whoever takes over. 

• Like 1

People queuing in the post office who insist on leaving a large gap between themselves and the person in front of them. I always feel like saying - if we all left a large gap like you have, the queue would be half-way down the street! Similarly, if there's a long queue of traffic (like on the A6 approaching Kibworth from Leicester yesterday morning), why do a small minority of drivers also leave a large gap in front of them? Again, if we all did that, the queue would be enormous!

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Sometimes I'm not sure how I can frame pointing out scientific fact in response to an obviously erroneous statement  (like on the Sci thread on occasion) in more diplomatic terms than using something like "with respect", tbh.

Just say it as it is. Acknowledge their plebian nescience and condescend accordingly.

27 minutes ago, String fellow said:

People queuing in the post office who insist on leaving a large gap between themselves and the person in front of them. I always feel like saying - if we all left a large gap like you have, the queue would be half-way down the street! Similarly, if there's a long queue of traffic (like on the A6 approaching Kibworth from Leicester yesterday morning), why do a small minority of drivers also leave a large gap in front of them? Again, if we all did that, the queue would be enormous!

Probably a holdover from COVID social distancing. Personally I prefer it. I don't want some germ-ridden, smelly oik mouth-breathing down the back of my neck. If people have to queue outside, so what? 

And traffic jams are caused in the first place by people who drive too close to the car in front. If one car has to brake and stop then everyone else has to brake and stop. If people just left a bit of space to the car in front then traffic queues would be significantly reduced, or probably wouldn't happen at all.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 2