Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

3 hours ago, Zear0 said:

I keep my ketchup right next to my eggs where they both belong which is not in the effing fridge

This weeks FT Kitchen awards:

In first place, Zear0

In second place, Tom (even though he’s clearly an idiot)

In third place, no one because Una deserves fvck all

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Zear0 said:

I keep my ketchup right next to my eggs where they both belong which is not in the effing fridge

Apologies for being the voice of boring…

Eggs are best stored in the fridge due to the stable temperature it provides. 

Eggs stored at ambient are at risk from fluctuations in temperature, which can lead to condensation forming on the inside of the shell, and give rise to bacterial growth. 

Probably not a huge issue at home, where ambient temperature won’t alter too much, but commercial kitchens can change drastically, so we always advise to store in the fridge. 

Ketchup, you can store wherever the fvck you want - it’s got a ton of vinegar, salt and sugar in…but fridge is better (cos who wants warm ketchup)🤮

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Milo said:

Eggs stored at ambient are at risk from fluctuations in temperature, which can lead to condensation forming on the inside of the shell, and give rise to bacterial growth. 

Probably not a huge issue at home, where ambient temperature won’t alter too much, but commercial kitchens can change drastically, so we always advise to store in the fridge. 

Ketchup, you can store wherever the fvck you want - it’s got a ton of vinegar, salt and sugar in…but fridge is better (cos who wants warm ketchup)🤮

The label also says ketchup is best stored in the fridge. Anyone who doesn't do that is being a contrarian and none of us should stand for it

22 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

The label also says ketchup is best stored in the fridge. Anyone who doesn't do that is being a contrarian and none of us should stand for it

Should go on a criminal record to be fair. 

31 minutes ago, Milo said:

10 hours ago, Unabomber said:

A new one for me, I’ve just realised some people store opened bottles of ketchup in the cupboard and not in the fridge. 

9 hours ago, Zear0 said:

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

My Mrs always puts the eggs in the fridge.

I always take them back out.

I always put the ketchup in the fridge.

My Mrs always takes it back out.

I had no idea so many folk call it 'Ketchup'

Myself and everyone I have ever known call it tomato sauce, even red sauce.

In fact, as I just typed 'tomato' my predictive text suggested sauce as the next word, not ketchup.

3 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

In fact, as I just typed 'tomato' my predictive text suggested sauce as the next word, not ketchup.

Hmmm. 

The clue to its name is on the bottle, tbf…

C071D820-DFB6-4002-9A25-186028EDC00D.jpeg.a0e5a96e9cdc95ef1e86876624e2f8b2.jpeg

• Haha 1

On TalkSport last night Darren Bent was saying he keeps his butter in the cupboard - might just be me but that was a new one I'd not heard before, surely it goes a bit soft/melty and weird in the cupboard and maybe doesn't last as long, does anyone else do this?

Feels like weird behaviour.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

But do you want to put cold ketchup directly on your hot food? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

On TalkSport last night Darren Bent was saying he keeps his butter in the cupboard - might just be me but that was a new one I'd not heard before, surely it goes a bit soft/melty and weird in the cupboard and maybe doesn't last as long, does anyone else do this?

Feels like weird behaviour.

Lots of people keep butter outside the fridge because it is rock hard at fridge temperature whereas at room temperature it is easy to spread. 

This is proper butter not margarine or spread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Lots of people keep butter outside the fridge because it is rock hard at fridge temperature whereas at room temperature it is easy to spread. 

This is proper butter not margarine or spread.

Suppose that makes sense.

Maybe it's just me but with stuff that feels like it's perishable and should be kept in the fridge I'd hesitate to eat it in case somethings got it to, almost like it's safe in the fridge lol 

I class myself as a savvy consumer, very rarely get conned into any marketing gimmicks. Apart from cheese slices or pre grated, always buy slices or pre grated rather than a block. If you look at the cost per gram, slices and pre grated are almost double the cost of a block, but they are much easier products.

All those years training and studying to become a Dr of food micro biology means @Milo can finally contribute something useful to an FT thread :D

Edited by Izzy

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Oh fvck off. 

Nobody - NOBODY - calls ketchup anything other than ketchup. You’d have to be some kind of psychopath or something. 

Red sauce? Are you even from the UK or are you from space?

Mods: ban FFF. Ban him/her/they hard. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Someone should tell the chickens. They’re going to be shocked. 

54 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But do you want to put cold ketchup directly on your hot food? 

Exactly this. Only weirdos keep ketchup in the fridge! It has so many additives and preservatives in it it'll keep for months in the cupboard. 

I have no problem with it behind called tomato sauce or red sauce either. 

38 minutes ago, Izzy said:

All those years training and studying to become a Dr of food micro biology means @Milo can finally contribute something useful to an FT thread :D

ffs

What can I say…It’s my time to shine 🤗

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Exactly this. Only weirdos keep ketchup in the fridge! It has so many additives and preservatives in it it'll keep for months in the cupboard. 

I have no problem with it behind called tomato sauce or red sauce either. 

So the majority of people who follow the advice on the bottle to refrigerate it are weirdos?

I also see you've COMPLETELY ignored the valid point of dipping a lovely hot chip into some lovely cold ketchup.

Just now, TJQuik said:

So the majority of people who follow the advice on the bottle to refrigerate it are weirdos?

I also see you've COMPLETELY ignored the valid point of dipping a lovely hot chip into some lovely cold ketchup.

Re the first point, yes. 

Secondly, who thinks that what would improve chips is if they were just a bit colder? Sacrilege

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

British authorities actually discourage refrigerating eggs on the theory that chilling and then warming could create condensation, which would allow salmonella to penetrate the shell

What British authorities?

And read above about fluctuations in temperature. If they’re in the fridge then they are at a stable temperature.