Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

15 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Wasps who won't die no matter how much you cave their heads in with the corner of a hardback Viz Annual. 

I zapped a wasp on one of those electric fly catcher things last year. There was a little cracking sound as it hit the mesh, then a little puff of smoke and even a brief hint of flame.

It then fell to the floor.

I noticed it was still moving slightly and then, about 30 seconds later, it flew off!!

It reminded me of the T1000 terminator fella, resurrecting itself after being melted.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I zapped a wasp on one of those electric fly catcher things last year. There was a little cracking sound as it hit the mesh, then a little puff of smoke and even a brief hint of flame.

I noticed it was still moving slightly and then, about 30 seconds later, it flew off!!

It reminded me of the T1000 terminator fella, resurrecting itself after being melted.

Missed your chance, should've been ruthless and stamped on the little stripey bastard.

I hate Wasps. We went to a lovely Riverside pub in Oxford a couple of weeks ago and my Mrs made us move tables about 5 times because there were swarms of them.

Then she was saying "oh, they've sat there with their kids...they've had to move too, told you. You can't sit out here, let's go, I've had enough" :blink:

I've sat down, ready to have about 4 pints, Wasps have killed it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Missed your chance, should've been ruthless and stamped on the little stripey bastard.

I hate Wasps. We went to a lovely Riverside pub in Oxford a couple of weeks ago and my Mrs made us move tables about 5 times because there were swarms of them.

Then she was saying "oh, they've sat there with their kids...they've had to move too, told you. You can't sit out here, let's go, I've had enough" :blink:

I've sat down, ready to have about 4 pints, Wasps have killed it.

I really don't get why people are so bothered by them - they'll sting you if you attack them or flap around like a twat because they are defending themselves. Just continue about your business and 9 times out of 10 they won't do anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TJQuik said:

I really don't get why people are so bothered by them - they'll sting you if you attack them or flap around like a twat because they are defending themselves. Just continue about your business and 9 times out of 10 they won't do anything.

It’s that 10th time we all worry about

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TJQuik said:

I can understand nobody likes to be stung by a wasp but they are vital part of the ecosystem 

19 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

We've got a zapper too. 

Sometimes it kills outright, other times it's like the insect has been tasered as it writhes and literally does the dying fly.

We've only ever had one wasp get zapped and the smell of burning flesh was quite unpleasant as it got stuck on the live wires and was being fried to death.

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

I can understand nobody likes to be stung by a wasp but they are vital part of the ecosystem 

True. Most people believe, wrongly, that they are a pest.

It's not the being stung, but more the constant pestering by the feckers. If I could swat one away from my plate of barbecued food and it never came back, I'd be fine.

BTW I got done by a horsefly over the weekend and that is way more unpleasant.

12 minutes ago, Parafox said:

True. Most people believe, wrongly, that they are a pest.

It's not the being stung, but more the constant pestering by the feckers. If I could swat one away from my plate of barbecued food and it never came back, I'd be fine.

BTW I got done by a horsefly over the weekend and that is way more unpleasant.

Ouch

8 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

Cats that don't belong to me but think it's okay to poop in my garden 

I think there’s a market for garden trebuchets, where cats and their faeces can be launched across garden fences back to their owners. 

19 hours ago, Stadt said:

People misspelling names in emails - it’s not as if the correct spelling is right there in the ****ing address. It’s rude. 

Another issue with some email messages is the folk who confuse someone's first name with their surname, particularly if the surname is commonly used as a first name elsewhere. Unless the sender happens to be Hungarian (where Eastern name order is used), it's not difficult to understand the convention that a name such as Dylan Thomas means that Thomas is that person's surname, not their first name. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I think there’s a market for garden trebuchets, where cats and their faeces can be launched across garden fences back to their owners. 

We could also make use of modern technology - drones.

They pick up the cat mess from your garden, fly over to the neighbours responsible and drop it in their garden.

If that was possible, the house opposite us would resemble Heathrow airport with all the incoming flights. They have 8 cats which leave their mess in several gardens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Another issue with some email messages is the folk who confuse someone's first name with their surname, particularly if the surname is commonly used as a first name elsewhere. Unless the sender happens to be Hungarian (where Eastern name order is used), it's not difficult to understand the convention that a name such as Dylan Thomas means that Thomas is that person's surname, not their first name. 

Alright Elton.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

They pick up the cat mess from your garden, fly over to the neighbours responsible and drop it in their garden.

If that was possible, the house opposite us would resemble Heathrow airport with all the incoming flights. They have 8 cats which leave their mess in several gardens.

Some councils over here have a 2 or 3 cat limit per house.  They love rules in Australia.

I've said before, but while cats are great, to have a cat as a pet it should be spayed or neutered and kept to house as a matter of ruling, apart from cats specifically designed to go out as pest control. Better for people and better for the cats too, considering how many end up getting horribly injured or killed while out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I think I’d rather see drones used towards cats in the same way they’re used against terrorist training camps tbh

Building Society branches which have a couple of staff doing nothing behind the counter, whilst another member of staff is in a side-room, dealing with the opening of a new account, but wasting no end of time chatting to the customer about the weather etc, when several other customers are outside, waiting to be dealt with. 

• Like 1