Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

We just need to clone my cat, which I'm pretty confident for the vast majority of its 17 years never left our garden, let alone took a shit anywhere else (apart from on a rug a couple of times).

There's two small problems with this plan to be overcome though:

1) It was one of the ugliest cats that ever lived and nobody would want one

2) It's currently ashes in a box on top of my fridge

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I've said before, but while cats are great, to have a cat as a pet it should be spayed or neutered and kept to house as a matter of ruling, apart from cats specifically designed to go out as pest control. Better for people and better for the cats too, considering how many end up getting horribly injured or killed while out.

I don't agree. 

Some cats like staying in, but as a species they are natural nocturnal hunters. Them going out at night patrolling their patch for other cats, and roaming the local area looking for food is a huge part of their social structure and natural behaviour. 

You can't just lock them all away against their nature.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I don't agree. 

Some cats like staying in, but as a species they are natural nocturnal hunters. Them going out at night patrolling their patch for other cats, and roaming the local area looking for food is a huge part of their social structure and natural behaviour. 

I agree that the ethical considerations are highly dodgy. However I'm of the opinion that keeping them in house except for exceptional circumstances is the lesser overall harm, in terms of ecosystem damage, public disruption and the well being of the cats themselves.

Of course, that's just a hunch, I can't prove it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I don't agree. 

We have 2 cats and 2 dogs. The dogs spend more time outside than the cats and even then they dont venture beyond the top part of the garden. Dont think theyve even gone as far as the bottom bit of the garden.

I have 2 strays that I pay to keep mice away from my house.  All it costs is a can of cat food every evening.

They are actually like the 4th generation of strays that have lived in earth my yard for close to15 years.  All descended from the meanest damn cat I’ve ever met.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

I don't agree. 

I do take this point. However, while I've not met all that many cats, the ones I have met seem more than happy to just curl up asleep if they can't go out.

And you could say much the same about dogs - their natural behaviour would be to roam around in packs. But both cats and dogs adapt - that's why they've been kept as pets for thousands of years.

Cadent digging up roads. 
have they suddenly been given free reign to dig up any road they want. 
Trying to drive through the middle of Nottingham I have to get through 3 sets of major roadworks then travelling around the country which I do for my job I come across every town and city with Cadent roadworks. 
I can see why we’re paying high gas bills now. 

Aghh... Family who think I poop money for a living and not understand I am lossing my job which mean I don't have any money!! But still ask to contribute for things. It wouldn't be to bad if planing was done before hand but not I only ever get a text message or a phone call when money is needed to get summit for my mum. Don't understand why!!! If I do summit for my mum I do it don't ask anyone for anything no matter what the cost is but when my siblings want to do Sunni for my mum it's no planing just a text saying give us x amount we buying this for mum. No hi no hello or how you been? How's work nothing. sorry maybe we need a rant thread or summit

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, grth2004 said:

Cadent digging up roads. 
have they suddenly been given free reign to dig up any road they want. 
Trying to drive through the middle of Nottingham I have to get through 3 sets of major roadworks then travelling around the country which I do for my job I come across every town and city with Cadent roadworks. 
I can see why we’re paying high gas bills now. 

Every single town and village I've been through recently has at least 1 'road closure' notification signs. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I agree that the ethical considerations are highly dodgy. However I'm of the opinion that keeping them in house except for exceptional circumstances is the lesser overall harm, in terms of ecosystem damage, public disruption and the well being of the cats themselves.

Of course, that's just a hunch, I can't prove it.

I can, but I'm not going to waste more time arguing about this and women's football etc etc lol

Its a fact and people saying it's against there natural instincts need to note these are domesticated creatures, not wild animals. Appropriate care and containment is easily done, harmless and beneficial.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

Aghh... Family who think I poop money for a living and not understand I am lossing my job which mean I don't have any money!! But still ask to contribute for things. It wouldn't be to bad if planing was done before hand but not I only ever get a text message or a phone call when money is needed to get summit for my mum. Don't understand why!!! If I do summit for my mum I do it don't ask anyone for anything no matter what the cost is but when my siblings want to do Sunni for my mum it's no planing just a text saying give us x amount we buying this for mum. No hi no hello or how you been? How's work nothing. sorry maybe we need a rant thread or summit

That's peak :ph34r:

29 minutes ago, Matt said:

Some men’s insecurities over England Women reaching the World Cup final and the possibility of them winning it.

Heard quite a few saying “Oh god, I hope they don’t win it, we’ll never hear the end of it, come on Spain!”.

If their insecurities and disdain is due to several episodes of the men’s team with a “golden generation”, hyped up tournament after hyped up tournament, “never a better opportunity to win a tournament” then doesn’t it say more about where their issue lie.

Check out the World Cup thread! 

Edited by Nick

45 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Totally agree, and I would also say a bit of the the other way too, with the number of women saying "the women are doing what the men can't", "if want a job doing get a woman to do it etc". We have some sporting success and people decide to make it into a battle of the sexes rather than just celebrate the fact we've done well at something. I've enjoyed it, I'm delighted they've got to the final, I see no reason to talk down their achievements or equally belittle the men's team because they've failed to do the same for so long.

Just pisses me off that at happy times like this the first thought of some people is to shit on other people because they happen to be a different sex. Just enjoy it.

I think the amount of digs women and women's football in particular has had to suffer over the years a few digs back can be forgiven. Any man getting bent out of shape over the success of our national team needs to, for want of a better term, man up. If you're not interested then fair enough but don't go around pissing on other people's chips.

Just now, Captain... said:

I think the amount of digs women and women's football in particular has had to suffer over the years a few digs back can be forgiven. Any man getting bent out of shape over the success of our national team needs to, for want of a better term, man up. If you're not interested then fair enough but don't go around pissing on other people's chips.

Belittling other people and creating a divide doesn't help anyone. Nobody should be digging at anybody regardless of what's gone before, two wrongs don't make a right.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Belittling other people and creating a divide doesn't help anyone. Nobody should be digging at anybody regardless of what's gone before, two wrongs don't make a right.

It's a difficult thing.

Retribution is sometimes justifiable, but then an eye for an eye leaves the world blind, as you say.

Both sides of the debate have some validity.

45 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Retribution often just creates a vicious circle of biting back at each other. At some point someone has to be the bigger person.

A comedian once said "What they are trying to do is defeat hate with hate, and hate doesn't beat hate, its never beaten hate, it just creates more hate. The only way to beat hate is love. Love doesn't always beat hate, but think about your personal life. Think of someone who hates you and you hate them. From now on show them nothing but love. I'm not saying they'll start loving you, they probably still hate you, but one thing will happen, everyone will see them as the arsehole. Don't be the arsehole."

This is absolutely spot on.

It's just sometimes very hard to go high when others go low. But it is the right way.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Nah! We're a nation of piss takers, it's what we do.

Actively wanting the women's team to fail because of the men's teams failures is pretty pathetic. Having a bit of fun when you're winning is fine. 

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

This is absolutely spot on.

It's just sometimes very hard to go high when others go low. But it is the right way.

You can point out that working together is more productive, but the problem is that when women say all men are trash or when people of colour don't trust white people, you can absolutely see why they would believe that and it's not at all equal to the hate they receive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJQuik said:

You can point out that working together is more productive, but the problem is that when women say all men are trash or when people of colour don't trust white people, you can absolutely see why they would believe that and it's not at all equal to the hate they receive.

Yep, this is spot on too.

However, perception often matters more than facts and as such what @Facecloth said earlier about taking the high road really being the only way to address such things satisfactorily in the long term is also true. It's deeply unfair that those who have suffered more in the past have to be better than those who made them suffer to address such divisions,  but I don't think there's any other way forward.

This is why I said both sides have valid arguments.

• Like 1