Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

In agreement wit just about everything said above - some people, but in my perception particularly a certain type of male, are the perpetual victim of everything, even when they get their way (perhaps even more so when they do actually, as they get the most clanging cognitive dissonance and have to sabotage any success to retain their right to maintain self-pity), and will find any opportunity to feel sorry for themselves.

Stephen Fry rightly says that self-pity is the most destructive vice, or emotion one can have. If strong enough it will destroy everything surrounding it except itself, and it ruins relationships and discourse, and I do my very best to avoid it wherever possible. Someone I love is surrounded by it and is persuaded of it, and it makes me very sad indeed - I cannot defeat that person's circumstances.

Edited by HighPeakFox

9 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Totally agree, and I would also say a bit of the the other way too, with the number of women saying "the women are doing what the men can't", "if want a job doing get a woman to do it etc". We have some sporting success and people decide to make it into a battle of the sexes rather than just celebrate the fact we've done well at something. I've enjoyed it, I'm delighted they've got to the final, I see no reason to talk down their achievements or equally belittle the men's team because they've failed to do the same for so long.

Just pisses me off that at happy times like this the first thought of some people is to shit on other people because they happen to be a different sex. Just enjoy it.

Absolutely.

The people that do this are very rarely women’s football fans either.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I don't understand why people are trying to belittle what the women's team have achieved in the same competition. The obvious reason can only be misogyny? 

A work colleague is adamant that they would get turned over at County League level. Whenever I talk about the skill and close control his default answer is that they have so much time and space on the ball and the game is played at glacial slowness. 

He's from Cov and supports Liverpool. 

Edited by Line-X

7 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I don't understand why people are trying to belittle what the women's team have achieved in the same competition. The obvious reason can only be misogyny? 

That's why I was asking questions over in the World Cup thread - I don't want to think the worst of people, so I wanted to understand motivations so that I could draw any other conclusion than the obvious, very nasty one.

On 15/08/2023 at 13:07, Stadt said:

People misspelling names in emails - it’s not as if the correct spelling is right there in the ****ing address. It’s rude. 

I’ve just had this happen via LinkedIn DMs - it couldn’t be anymore apparent ffs.

Guest Sideshow Faes
15 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

15 hours ago, Line-X said:

A work colleague is adamant that they would get turned over at County League level. Whenever I talk about the skill and close control his default answer is that they have so much time and space on the ball and the game is played at glacial slowness. 

He's from Cov and supports Liverpool. 

Having been a coach in women's football for many years I'm constantly annoyed at the attitude of a lot of men online (likely the same men that can't not comment on any social media posts about vegan food or cyclists also).

The reality is that even the best female teams would lose to much lower level men's teams. That's not the point though.

Men and women are physically different. There is no point in questioning what would happen if one played the other. In the same way there's no point wondering if Serena or Federer would've won in a tennis match up.

You have to celebrate each independently for being the best in their own field.

If Floyd Mayweather had fought Derrick Chisora, Chisora would've battered him. But Mayweather is still (rightly) recognised as a much better boxer. Because we accept that size makes a huge difference in that sport, we don't compare apples with oranges (or heavyweights with light middleweights).

In the same way, who would win in a match between male and female footballers is a pointless question. Men are physically dominant in a sport where it makes a huge difference. 

So, like with boxing, we should consider each separately within their own sports. Whoever wins the male or female world cups are the greatest international team in their sport, and they should be celebrated as such. 

35 minutes ago, Sideshow Faes said:

Having been a coach in women's football for many years I'm constantly annoyed at the attitude of a lot of men online (likely the same men that can't not comment on any social media posts about vegan food or cyclists also).

The reality is that even the best female teams would lose to much lower level men's teams. That's not the point though.

Men and women are physically different. There is no point in questioning what would happen if one played the other. In the same way there's no point wondering if Serena or Federer would've won in a tennis match up.

If Floyd Mayweather had fought Derrick Chisora, Chisora would've battered him. But Mayweather is still (rightly) recognised as a much better boxer. Because we accept that size makes a huge difference in that sport, we don't compare apples with oranges (or heavyweights with light middleweights).

In the same way, who would win in a match between male and female footballers is a pointless question. Men are physically dominant in a sport where it makes a huge difference. 

So, like with boxing, we should consider each separately within their own sports. Whoever wins the male or female world cups are the greatest international team in their sport, and they should be celebrated as such. 

I agree with that. Though the skill level with the ball is often less in the games I've watched. Close control, shooting, etc is all on average of a lower standard. Whether that is down to physical dexterity I don't know. 

Guest Sideshow Faes
4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I agree with that. Though the skill level with the ball is often less in the games I've watched. Close control, shooting, etc is all on average of a lower standard. Whether that is down to physical dexterity I don't know. 

The most skillful players in women's football are hugely skilful. There is clearly a way to go on participation numbers but looking at most kids clubs now, the numbers of young girls playing football has absolutely exploded over the last few years. That can only help the game as a whole increase the absolute peaks of its performance. But there are many incredibly skillful female players already. The game is just a bit slower so maybe it is shown in a different way.

7 minutes ago, Sideshow Faes said:

The most skillful players in women's football are hugely skilful. There is clearly a way to go on participation numbers but looking at most kids clubs now, the numbers of young girls playing football has absolutely exploded over the last few years. That can only help the game as a whole increase the absolute peaks of its performance. But there are many incredibly skillful female players already. The game is just a bit slower so maybe it is shown in a different way.

I still remember being absolutely wowed by Kim Little for Team GB back in 2012. She was absolutely incredible with the ball at her feet, I could have watched her all day.

49 minutes ago, Sideshow Faes said:

Agree entirely. It's very hard to articulate this to those that are dismissive of the women's game. I fear that the root of this may well be sheer misogyny and outright prejudice against women in football. 

• Like 1

Guest Sideshow Faes
12 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Ragebait. 

It's fvcking everywhere. Any time I open the internet there it is. And morons keep commenting. Keep sharing. 

No wonder desperate clout chasers are doing it more and more. 

The questions "what is a real woman?" and "can a woman have a penis?" are the best examples of this. Designed to do nothing but enrage. Mainly because nobody seems to understand that the questions ate pointless.

Sex is the objective scientific measure of whether somebody is male, female or indeterminate. Sex considers things like chromosomes, hormones etc and is unchanging (for those scientifically minded, I've simplified this for those that aren't).

Gender is about social attitudes and is how a person views themselves, and how society views them. It is less objective and more about attitudes and viewpoints. 

So when we ask "what is a woman?" some people base their response on sex, and others on gender, so they aren't actually answering the same question.

There's really only a couple of issues where it even matters: sports (which is down to sporting associations but you'd imagine they'll all end up using sex as the basis for their decisions), and female only areas (in which case we need to listen to women and stop all the shouty men getting involved). 

53 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Ragebait. 

It's fvcking everywhere. Any time I open the internet there it is. And morons keep commenting. Keep sharing. 

No wonder desperate clout chasers are doing it more and more. 

As long as there is a profit motive for it, it will keep coming. The only way to stop it is to remove that profit motive.

How we go about that, I have no idea.

the guy i had on the phone just now working for british gas, calling to confirm my switch, i told him i understood he has a job to do but i didnt want to be with BG in the first place and was only with them because they were already supplying the new place. ((we got a visit from utilita the yesterday, who will let us go back on pre payment smart meters already installed) 

he then reeled off various numbers saying how BG are cheaper (they're not) and i repeated im not interested and he said " so you're happy to pay more for your gas and electric then are you?"

like, **** off ****, its not your money, why do you care? 

in sussex we were with naboo who sold out to BG and they gave us nothing but shit about how we cant be on pre pay anymore and it really ****ed us over for a while, so no damn way am i going back

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I am 100% confident that it isn't. I think that if true, it's almost certainly down to elite male footballers having done nothing but work on their football technique since they joined an Academy when they were eight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparrowhawk said:

I am 100% confident that it isn't. I think that if true, it's almost certainly down to elite male footballers having done nothing but work on their football technique since they joined an Academy when they were eight.

And all training methods being geared to maximise the male physique and body type. As elite female sport progresses I'm sure there will be a lot more development into how diets, training regimes, supplements will work differently between men and women.

One of the most telling stats in the world cup was that Chloe Kelly's penalty was struck harder than any shit by a male premier league footballer last season. 

9 minutes ago, Captain... said:

And all training methods being geared to maximise the male physique and body type. As elite female sport progresses I'm sure there will be a lot more development into how diets, training regimes, supplements will work differently between men and women.

One of the most telling stats in the world cup was that Chloe Kelly's penalty was struck harder than any shit by a male premier league footballer last season. 

I must've missed that episode of MOTD

54 minutes ago, Langston said:

People who get on trains and are constantly moving, standing up, going to their luggage. Do it in one sitting!

I'll add to that.....

Trains in general. Left loughborough at 10am and meant to be in Aberdeen at 7pm.  Still 1 hour away. 

On 18/08/2023 at 10:37, Line-X said:

Agree entirely. It's very hard to articulate this to those that are dismissive of the women's game. I fear that the root of this may well be sheer misogyny and outright prejudice against women in football. 

I think some people aren't necessarily misogynists, or racist, or indeed anything more specific or 'thought out' than angry, sad, nasty people who will atack anything that represents change or slightly different to their own incredibly tight comfort zone. I do not wish to ever diminish such things, because racism and gender hatred are real, however I've been ostracised and isolated myself for being the type of man that I am by such people too. I just think some people are bitter and unhappy, and lash out at the nearest target.

• Like 1