Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

EDF. 

They're shite. 

We have a smart meter that isn't sending auto-readings to EDF. We've looked into possible reasons why and and there's just an automated on-line response saying that sometimes smart meters get disconnected from the network but generally re-connect at some point.

Ours hasn't worked correctly since last November. 

The app doesn't show any information about usage.

Now we're getting notifications asking us to provide a meter reading, but I can't because it's a smart meter and there's no function to show a reading on the screen.

I phoned EDF and asked them how I could give a meter reading. I was told to press the A button to "wake the meter up". Which I did and the call taker said they should be able to get a reading by midnight of that day.

Now we have an estimated bill as EDF say we haven't provided a reading.... WE CAN'T, FFS.

Phoned again and was told to try again. I asked for someone to come out and check the meter but they said they wouldn't unless the meter readings were "suspicious"!!!!

Edited by Parafox

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

EDF. 

They're shite. 

We have a smart meter that isn't sending auto-readings to EDF. We've looked into possible reasons why and and there's just an automated on-line response saying that sometimes smart meters get disconnected from the network but generally re-connect at some point.

Ours hasn't worked correctly since last November. 

The app doesn't show any information about usage.

Now we're getting notifications asking us to provide a meter reading, but I can't because it's a smart meter and there's no function to show a reading on the screen.

I phoned EDF and asked them how I could give a meter reading. I was told to press the A button to "wake the meter up". Which I did and the call taker said they should be able to get a reading by midnight of that day.

Now we have an estimated bill as EDF say we haven't provided a reading.... WE CAN'T, FFS.

Phoned again and was told to try again. I asked for someone to come out and check the meter but they said they wouldn't unless the meter readings were "suspicious"!!!!

You're confusing smart meter with the display that you get with it. You can still take a reading from the meter itself. If the meter itself won't show a reading it needs to be replaced.

Edited by TJQuik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

You're confusing smart meter with the display that you get with it. You can still take a reading from the meter itself. If the meter itself won't show a reading it needs to be replaced.

Its a digital screen and there's a numerical keyboard type thing 

image.jpeg.042fdbcd671c74addf0fd0e29ca50ef3.jpeg

I can't get a reading. It just scrolls quickly from vend mode through current usage/daily usage but never seems to give a reading that I can make sense of.

It's both Electric and Gas meters that don't seem to be functioning, which makes me wonder if they've actually been connected to the network correctly.

The app just doesn't show anything apart from the November reading, which is when the meters were installed.

It's EDF I have the beef with. They don't seem interested in helping or sorting the issue. They just keep asking for readings, which I can't give them

Edited by Parafox

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I can't get a reading. It just scrolls quickly from vend mode through current usage/daily usage but never seems to give a reading that I can make sense of.

The app just doesn't show anything apart from the November reading.

It's EDF I have the beef with. They don't seem interested in helping or sorting the issue. They just keep asking for readings, which I can't give them

There are specific functions for that type of meter.

Certain buttons to press (sometimes in the correct order) and it'll give you your meter reading.

Try this:

I'm very surprised EDF haven't been able to tell you this. Smart meter displays are just displays for how much you're using. The energy supplier always takes the reading from the meter themselves if the smart meter fails.

27 minutes ago, Parafox said:

It's both Electric and Gas meters that don't seem to be functioning, which makes me wonder if they've actually been connected to the network correctly.

The app just doesn't show anything apart from the November reading, which is when the meters were installed.

That's the same box as mine.

I just press '9'  for a reading.

16 hours ago, Izzy said:

That's the same box as mine.

I just press '9'  for a reading.

Thanks. I've done that and seems I now have a reading.

There's nowhere on the EDF website that I could see that told me how to do a reading nor did the useless phone operative.

The meter still isn't sending readings automatically, though.

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

There's nowhere on the EDF website that I could see that told me how to do a reading nor did the useless phone operative.

https://www.edfenergy.com/help-support/faq/how-read-electricity-smart-meter-keypad-control.

You'll probably need to arrange to have someone sent out to connect it again.

Edited by TJQuik
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Cancer. Just taken a close family friend and probably the nicest person I have ever known. So sad and again partly down the the NHS. She was having to chase her own results which led to delays which led to her death. 

Really sorry for your loss mate. We've been through the same where my aunt went to the doctors for stomach pain only to be dismissed for over 12 months, turned out to be stage 4 cancer by the time they took any notice.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Really sorry for your loss mate. We've been through the same where my aunt went to the doctors for stomach pain only to be dismissed for over 12 months, turned out to be stage 4 cancer by the time they took any notice.

Yeah it’s a joke it really is. She knew she had cancer and had to chase up her own results. By the time they pulled their finger out, 1 round of chemo was too much and today that was the end. Sad stuff. 

9 hours ago, Parafox said:

I had the same problem with my gas meter but after a few months it decided to start communicating with the network again and despite a couple of blips has done ever since, with nobody needing to come out or anything physical being fixed as far as I know

31 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Cancer. Just taken a close family friend and probably the nicest person I have ever known. So sad and again partly down the the NHS. She was having to chase her own results which led to delays which led to her death. 

I'm truly, desperately sorry to hear of this.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with her family.

Am so sorry to hear that.

Was she quite young?

Horrible diseases like that seem to affect/fatally affect the good people in the world.

If you suspect you have cancer, in an ideal world, you'd imagine a doctor etc, would give you results fairly soon (ala, a priority list)?..

13 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Am so sorry to hear that.

Was she quite young?

Horrible diseases like that seem to affect/fatally affect the good people in the world.

If you suspect you have cancer, in an ideal world, you'd imagine a doctor etc, would give you results fairly soon (ala, a priority list)?..

• Sad 1

Trivial in the light of recent postings, though it is medical related.

I needed to call my GP earlier and was told he would call me back sometime after 1pm.

He called just after one

I answered within a few seconds but he had already hung up. :mad:

I understand, and appreciate they cannot give an exact time as to when they will call you but, equally, surely they cannot expect you to walk around with your phone in hand, between 1 and 6pm so you answer instantly.

I think it is reasonable to let it ring for 20, even 30 seconds, before hanging up. This call earlier rang for no more 10 at the outside.

When people who have never experienced hair loss try telling you to embrace balding and how it doesn't matter. I highly doubt that they would want to embrace it if it happened to them. The truth is, hair loss can be really debilitating and you have no idea how it feels unless you experience it. There have been days where I have wanted to leave the house because of it.

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

When people who have never experienced hair loss try telling you to embrace balding and how it doesn't matter. I highly doubt that they would want to embrace it if it happened to them. The truth is, hair loss can be really debilitating and you have no idea how it feels unless you experience it. There have been days where I have wanted to leave the house because of it.

It definitely sucks to lose hair mate. I have hair on the sides but up top im balding badly. I shave it down with  0.5 blade to "hide it" (who am i kidding, it's easy to tell). Havent done the full clean shave yet. Maybe in due time.

I have decided to just accept it as there isnt much i can do unless i get a transplant or wig. Cant be bothered as more important ish in life like health, bills and enjoying myself. I'm still a sexy man so it's all good. Wife isn't complaining lol

Hope you find peace with your hair loss and do whatever works for ya. Everyone has their struggles so it's 100% normal to feel down about it.

Guess those who arent balding dont know what to say, so say something thinking it will help. Likely mean well if it's something you brought up with them. If they just said "you baldy bastard, shave it, embrace it" then yes i agree a bit cvntish.

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

I've been shaving my head with a razor for years. And it still shows a bit of a shadow round the sides and back. Let it grow for a day or two and it looks like a Friar Tuck job round the back, which I hate. I wish I could get rid of it better for longer. 

Brazillian for your head?

Lazer? 

If i ever go the clean shaven head look i want it all gone for good with 0 effort lol

So playing a game of chase the money now I've got a kid so putting some feelers out for other job offers. 

What the hell is the point in putting job postings up without a salary range? Instead just posting "negotiable based on experience"? What a waste of time. Applied for one place that's supposed to be a market leader, offered just above what I got paid as an apprentice. 

Market leader my ass. 

• Like 1