Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

So playing a game of chase the money now I've got a kid so putting some feelers out for other job offers. 

What the hell is the point in putting job postings up without a salary range? Instead just posting "negotiable based on experience"? What a waste of time. Applied for one place that's supposed to be a market leader, offered just above what I got paid as an apprentice. 

Market leader my ass. 

In my world, all companies would be compelled to detail the full package in an ad. There’s zero justification in hiding it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Daggers said:

In my world, all companies would be compelled to detail the full package in an ad. There’s zero justification in hiding it.

Exactly how it should be. I've got no problems with negotiating a rate, but the rate should be advertised as between x and x. No idea who'd take up that position for that pay, so they waste their own time and money too. 

Makes no sense from any angle. :doh:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daggers said:

There is always a range though.  People should get paid based on their skills, abilities and experience.  If I’m thinking maybe 30-40k for a role, and I get a brilliant candidate who wants 42k I’m going to pay it.  If I don’t abd I have an inexperienced candidate who I think has potential and no better options I might pay 30k.  U Mr I say the role pays 30-40k I might deter both candidates from applying.  My advice is apply for roles that interest you and make clear your salary expectations early in the process and you’ll be fine.

6 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Exactly how it should be. I've got no problems with negotiating a rate, but the rate should be advertised as between x and x. No idea who'd take up that position for that pay, so they waste their own time and money too. 

Makes no sense from any angle. :doh:

This though is an excellent way to find out you shouldn’t work for a company, so take it as a good outcome.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

There is always a range though.  People should get paid based on their skills, abilities and experience.  If I’m thinking maybe 30-40k for a role, and I get a brilliant candidate who wants 42k I’m going to pay it.  If I don’t abd I have an inexperienced candidate who I think has potential and no better options I might pay 30k.  U Mr I say the role pays 30-40k I might deter both candidates from applying.  My advice is apply for roles that interest you and make clear your salary expectations early in the process and you’ll be fine.

Must be different in Oz as I've been looking myself and I'd say 90-95% of them don't have a figure or even a range, it's always just 'competitive' or 'negotiable'. Then they want a CV and a cover letter in application, then sometimes an additional application form as well, just to find out they pay peanuts at the end of it all.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

You give me no indication of your range, you’ve already lost me because I’m not going to waste my time and will assume the package is so shit you’re embarrassed to advertise it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Daggers said:

You give me no indication of your range, you’ve already lost me because I’m not going to waste my time and will assume the package is so shit you’re embarrassed to advertise it.

In which case good luck with your career and we won’t be working together :)

On 23/08/2023 at 08:45, Innovindil said:

So playing a game of chase the money now I've got a kid so putting some feelers out for other job offers. 

What the hell is the point in putting job postings up without a salary range? Instead just posting "negotiable based on experience"? What a waste of time. Applied for one place that's supposed to be a market leader, offered just above what I got paid as an apprentice. 

Market leader my ass. 

It's way they've been holding wages down for the past 20 years.

Everyone is doing the same so the system is fully in favour of the employers. It's exploitative but they can get away with it because if you don't do it, someone else will. 

Remember that magic six months during covid where there was a severe labour shortage and companies were starting to actually pay people what they were worth instead of what they can get away with? It felt like the system was changing but we're back to this shite.

2 minutes ago, Danizen said:

It's way they've been holding wages down for the past 20 years.

Everyone is doing the same so the system is fully in favour of the employers. It's exploitative but they can get away with it because if you don't do it, someone else will. 

Remember that magic six months during covid where there was a severe labour shortage and companies were starting to actually pay people what they were worth instead of what they can get away with? It felt like the system was changing but we're back to this shite.

Salaries are still rising in construction consultancy. Reckon they have gone up 25% over the past 2 years.

There are still labour shortages in all areas, so despite the economy stalling at the moment, I'd expect them to continue to rise.

People that ignore the speed limit on dual carriageways with loose chippings and overtake anyway are a special kind of twat.

It's not there so you can test the grip on your AUDI's rear wheel drive, you absolute melt. Cheers for chipping my windscreen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Royal Mail parcel deliverers, who can't seem to comprehend that in order to get a response to your attempted delivery, you have to actually make an attempt, like press the doorbell or the intercom, something like that. Don't just stick a card through and scarper. I've been working from home all day I know they didn't try.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Royal Mail parcel deliverers, who can't seem to comprehend that in order to get a response to your attempted delivery, you have to actually make an attempt, like press the doorbell or the intercom, something like that. Don't just stick a card through and scarper. I've been working from home all day I know they didn't try.

Just stop after word 2.

Though you could also add any retailer that still uses Royal Mail when any other option is better.

20 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Even those that knock on the door seem to think you are just sat there waiting ready to run to the door. If it takes me more than 5 seconds to get to the door they're trying to mash something through the letter box or chucking it over the gate.

The way to resolve that is make an official complaint. They take stuff like that very seriously and if it happens enough the person involved will get reprimanded. 

I was told this by a mate who's worked for RM for a couple of decades. 

Edited by The Bear

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

The way to resolve that is make an official complaint about the guy delivering. They take stuff like that very seriously and if it happens enough they'll get reprimanded. 

How do you know who the delivery guy is, though?

Unless you give your address and time of delivery? Then RM will be able to trace them I guess.

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

How do you know who the delivery guy is, though?

Unless you give your address and time of delivery? Then RM will be able to trace them I guess.

The card will have a reference number. A mates other half works for Royal mail, and suggested that I report it when something similar happened to me. Definitely hadn't rang the bell and I was actually out of the door and holding the card waving, as the postman was closing the front gate and sodding off.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

The card will have a reference number. A mates other half works for Royal mail, and suggested that I report it when something similar happened to me. Definitely hadn't rang the bell and I was actually out of the door and holding the card waving, as the postman was closing the front gate and sodding off.

Part of this issue is the time demands on the delivery drivers. I imagine @tom27111 knows more about this.

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Part of this issue is the time demands on the delivery drivers. I imagine @tom27111 knows more about this.

Amazon actually leave the parcel though. The royal mail take them away. As a result of my incident, I then had a 20 mile round trip 2 days later to the sorting office. 

And you're going to upset @tom27111 comparing his efficiency to the Royal mail lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Amazon actually leave the parcel though. The royal mail take them away. As a result of my incident, I then had a 20 mile round trip 2 days later to the sorting office. 

This is true and I don't understand why they do that.

Maybe it's because Amazon give the option of instructing the driver where to leave the parcel and RM don't

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

59 minutes ago, Parafox said:

54 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

And you're going to upset @tom27111 comparing his efficiency to the Royal mail lol

I'd have rather waited a minute or two for someone to answer the door, but if they didn't, I'd use common sense and leave it somewhere safe.

If that wasn't an option, I'd have to come back later to reattempt delivery.

Amazon always do that, or they should. 

So it's better to take more time and do it first time round.

• Like 1