Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 23/08/2023 at 15:36, Jon the Hat said:

There is always a range though.  People should get paid based on their skills, abilities and experience.  If I’m thinking maybe 30-40k for a role, and I get a brilliant candidate who wants 42k I’m going to pay it.  If I don’t abd I have an inexperienced candidate who I think has potential and no better options I might pay 30k.  U Mr I say the role pays 30-40k I might deter both candidates from applying.  My advice is apply for roles that interest you and make clear your salary expectations early in the process and you’ll be fine.

There is a range but if it isn’t advertised, the range is no use to a potential candidate.

I was ‘job hunting’ for a while recently, uploaded my CV onto CV Library and had my LinkedIn set as Open to Work.

10-20 calls a day from recruitment agencies of which the majority were time wasters.

Why would I spend my time on calls and video conferences, take time off of work to attend interviews if the recruiter can’t specify a salary range? They want me to interview and be successful as much as I wanted certain jobs, so why not work together? If there’s no discussion on salary, or it starts with what am I looking for when they’re talking about a specific role, it was a non-starter for me. The salary is completely dependant on the responsibilities and expectations of each job on its own merit. For instance, I was looking for a job that fulfilled me, I’d have done one for job for say £45k but wouldn’t have touched another for less than £65k (ignore figures, just using them as an example).

The part that really got me is the sales pitch. They’re wanting to put you forward for a role that pays X amount (ironically you don’t know the range, but you know your worth), yet speak to you like a cold caller selling broadband.

I understand a candidate is a recruiters product and that they’re essentially salespeople, but mutual respect from the get go and throughout the process is what sets some apart from the herd.

In some cases, it almost comes across like they think they’re doing you a favour, when in reality they want the commission and will tart any old role up to get you interested and ultimately through the door.

FWIW - I met a few great agents and built a rapport that will hopefully open doors in the future.

@Jon the Hat that wasn’t all aimed at you, it just seemed the most relevant post to reply to.

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 1

Went to put air in my car tyres earlier. Put the pound in the machine, dragged the air hose to my wheels, but nothing. 

Figured the machine was faulty only to realise the cost is now £1.50!!

£1.50 for air? WTF?

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Went to put air in my car tyres earlier. Put the pound in the machine, dragged the air hose to my wheels, but nothing. 

£1.50 for air? WTF?

My ass will do all your tyres for just £1.49

14 minutes ago, Izzy said:

£1.50 for air? WTF?

Get one of small compressor ones and store it at home. I got one similar to this below. Never have to worry about going down to the petrol station and waiting or paying £1.50. Granted this one cost like £60 but you can get cheaper ones. Got mine on sale so didnt pay that much. You set the pressure you want, attach and it stops at the pressure you've entered.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-12-v-digital-road-homeair-compressor-tire-inflator-4-min-0095206p.html#srp

Check both vehicles regularly and also use it on our bikes, football, basketball etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

you pay...for air??? :jawdrop:

It used to be free at petrol stations back in the day over here in Canada but that was decades ago now lol.

Then it would need 50 cents, 1 dollar, 2 dollars. Nobody carries change anymore so now they have tap to pay. 

Nope, fill mine up at home, faster, easier amd keep an eye on them more often. Also in the cold winter i can fill them up whilst parked in the garage so dont freeze my finger tips off.

14 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

It used to be free at petrol stations back in the day over here in Canada but that was decades ago now lol.

Then it would need 50 cents, 1 dollar, 2 dollars. Nobody carries change anymore so now they have tap to pay. 

Nope, fill mine up at home, faster, easier amd keep an eye on them more often. Also in the cold winter i can fill them up whilst parked in the garage so dont freeze my finger tips off.

Amazing... still free in Oz....so far

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

£1.50 for air? WTF?

You not got an inflation kit in the car to plug in to the cigarette lighter? (Showing my age there, what car comes with a cigarette lighter anymore? Probably because kids touch it when they're left in the car alone, god knows I did it and it really, really hurts. They label it as a 12v connection nowadays)

Anyway, I digress.

I'll get you one :ph34r:

Edited by tom27111

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You not got an inflation kit in the car to plug in to the cigarette lighter? (Showing my age there, what car comes with a cigarette lighter anymore? Probably because kids touch it when they're left in the car alone, god knows I did it and it really, really hurts. They label it as a 12v connection nowadays)

Anyway, I digress.

Yeah based on what you and Jattdogg have said I had a look on Amazon and they're about £30 so worth getting instead of paying £1.50 at the petrol station each time!

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah based on what you and Jattdogg have said I had a look on Amazon and they're about £30 so worth getting instead of paying £1.50 at the petrol station each time!

Mate, the amount of cars I move, don't buy one, I will have one for you the next time we play golf :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Anyway, I digress.

I've got a cigarette  plug one as well. My brother was getting rid of his sonata so gave it to me. Good to have on road trips i suppose but then again should always fill them up before any trip lol.

Pays to know a sleezy car guy izzy.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

I've got a cigarette  plug one as well. My brother was getting rid of his sonata so gave it to me. Good to have on road trips i suppose but then again should always fill them up before any trip lol.

Pays to know a sleezy car guy izzy.

Sleazy?

Pot. Kettle. Black :D

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

£1.50 for air? WTF?

20p here. And you can pay by contactless :thumbup: