Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

We should do all we can to get him, payback for them stealing Clinton Morrison.

In all seriousness though, no. Why would this even be a conversation?

It isn't even a possibility, hes represented Ireland in competitive matches.

TalkSport are pretty low, but this is sinking to new levels and being very disrespectful to a player and his country.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I think it is still competitive fixtures is it not

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/explainer-why-evan-ferguson-cant-switch-to-england-even-if-he-wanted-to/a556959734.html

Previously, FIFA rules declared that once a player played any senior competitive fixture for a country, they were prevented from making a switch. That is why the likes of Declan Rice was allowed to play three friendlies for Ireland in 2018, though one competitive appearance at the time would have tied him down.

But FIFA made a change to the rules at their congress in 2020 to allow players who had played competitive games to switch. This was to effectively prevent a situation where a player would be brought into play one senior competitive game, thus tying them down to one country for good.

That said, the recent FIFA rule change does have several clauses and that appears to have been the source of some misunderstanding in the UK press regarding Ferguson’s future.

FIFA’s current rules declare that in the event a player who has played one competitive game wants to switch, that player can have played no more than three senior international games, whether in official competitions (competitive qualifiers) or non-competitive competition (friendlies).

Ferguson made his senior Ireland debut last November against Norway, before further friendly appearances followed against Malta and Latvia.

But once Ferguson played against France in last March’s Euro 2024 qualifier in Dublin, his fourth appearance, he was not eligible to switch anymore.

He could, in theory, have switched after the Latvia game (his third appearance), or if he had made his debut against the French and hadn’t played in any friendlies previously.

While the fact is now that he can’t change, he was never likely to anyway despite some recent speculation.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/explainer-why-evan-ferguson-cant-switch-to-england-even-if-he-wanted-to/a556959734.html

Previously, FIFA rules declared that once a player played any senior competitive fixture for a country, they were prevented from making a switch. That is why the likes of Declan Rice was allowed to play three friendlies for Ireland in 2018, though one competitive appearance at the time would have tied him down.

But FIFA made a change to the rules at their congress in 2020 to allow players who had played competitive games to switch. This was to effectively prevent a situation where a player would be brought into play one senior competitive game, thus tying them down to one country for good.

That said, the recent FIFA rule change does have several clauses and that appears to have been the source of some misunderstanding in the UK press regarding Ferguson’s future.

FIFA’s current rules declare that in the event a player who has played one competitive game wants to switch, that player can have played no more than three senior international games, whether in official competitions (competitive qualifiers) or non-competitive competition (friendlies).

Ferguson made his senior Ireland debut last November against Norway, before further friendly appearances followed against Malta and Latvia.

But once Ferguson played against France in last March’s Euro 2024 qualifier in Dublin, his fourth appearance, he was not eligible to switch anymore.

He could, in theory, have switched after the Latvia game (his third appearance), or if he had made his debut against the French and hadn’t played in any friendlies previously.

While the fact is now that he can’t change, he was never likely to anyway despite some recent speculation.

Fair enough, knew you could definitely switch now having played a competitive game now though. Although seems to be some misinterpretation of the rules through numerous outlets, the BBC reported when it was first announced "Players can now switch if they have played no more than three competitive matches at senior level prior to them turning 21." Where as Forbes interpreted in the way you've explained it.

• Like 1

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Train service I was on yesterday should have had 8 carriages.

It had 4, the level of sardines on that train was ridiculous. Yet I still have to pay full price for a ticket.

Yes, I accept I could've taken a later train. 

Train service in this country is one thing I can never get my head around.

The amount of money we pay for tickets is ridiculous and probably one of the highest in Europe, yet the service we receive is undoubtedly one of the worst. Where does all the money go?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

The amount of money we pay for tickets is ridiculous and probably one of the highest in Europe, yet the service we receive is undoubtedly one of the worst. Where does all the money go?

For sure; we pay ridiculous fees for very sub par service. 

I've sad numerous times that travel intra-city and inter-city should not be as difficult or costly as it is. 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

For sure; we pay ridiculous fees for very sub par service. 

I've sad numerous times that travel intra-city and inter-city should not be as difficult or costly as it is. 

When you can get return flights to all across Europe for less than a return to most major UK cities on the train it does make the mind boggle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

When you can get return flights to all across Europe for less than a return to most major UK cities on the train it does make the mind boggle.

Exactly. What I will credit though is how it is fairly cheap to travel around London. With caps on how much you can spend in a day on buses etc, really makes it more accessible. 

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Compared to practically every comparable country in Europe and Asia, it is utterly unacceptable.

One can only assume the money is simply taken up by corrupt private entities.

For sure, I think we've spoken about this before. Nothing will happen as too many of the senior execs will be friends with those in government power.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lcfc278 said:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/firstgroup-abellio-rail-strikes-rmt-shareholders-payout/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Train service I was on yesterday should have had 8 carriages.

It had 4, the level of sardines on that train was ridiculous. Yet I still have to pay full price for a ticket.

Yes, I accept I could've taken a later train. 

I've had that exact scenario twice this summer on long-distance journeys (3-4 hours): over-crowding due to number of carriages reduced from 8 to 4.

Made it a hellish experience both times

No explanation of the reduction was given either time - and it wasn't around strike days, so that wasn't the issue. Presumably nothing to do with short-staffing either, as a 4-carriage train still needs a driver.

I can only think that it somehow saves the company costs, thereby improving profit margins: less maintenance work or labour attaching carriages? lower fuel costs to haul 4 rather than 8 carriages?

Absolute piss-takers.

• Like 1

Guest Sideshow Faes
3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I think he's a breath of fresh air compared to many others. But I do think he plays it up a bit too much 

Oh yeah, I quite like him, I was just genuinely asking whether he's made up his own nickname! 🤣

Guest Sideshow Faes
41 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Absolute joke.

The problem is we don't as a country, and I count myself in this, do anything about it. There's little to no uproar so they know they can get away with it and will keep getting away with it.

It does feel that even Tory voters are starting to realise that privatisation has been nothing but a swindle of epic proportions. 

41 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Absolute joke.

The problem is we don't as a country, and I count myself in this, do anything about it. There's little to no uproar so they know they can get away with it and will keep getting away with it.

The Tories have perfected divide and rule and of course there is the apathy of the public

1 minute ago, BKLFox said:

Whilst it all makes sense to nationalise everything, just where would the funding come from? 

We just don't renew any licences for rail and water. In fact they should be revoked. We don't need to buy them back just not new any contracts.

For energy just start a rival government energy company which is obviously cheaper than everyone else.

There's always a way but vested interests will say it's too difficult.

• Like 3

Ryanair is great, fantastically cheap flights and they’ve made air travel affordable for many who’d otherwise struggle to afford it. 

They are a budget airline, it’s no frills, occasionally the customer service isn’t grear but I’ve never found non-budget airlines better for short haul.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Ryanair is great, fantastically cheap flights and they’ve made air travel affordable for many who’d otherwise struggle to afford it. 

They are a budget airline, it’s no frills, occasionally the customer service isn’t grear but I’ve never found non-budget airlines better for short haul.

Agreed. People who act surprised they aren't greeted with a glass of fizz upon boarding a Ryanair flight are the worst. They're perfectly serviceable, moreso for the cost!

• Like 1